Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Trailer Light Error Codes and Signal Control Issues

7K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Michael Ophus 
#1 ·
Hello, This is David.

Has anyone encountered the following:
While driving on a rainy day you step on the the brake of the 2016 Ford Transit Connect with factory Tow package installed and the warning chime sounds with the following message displayed, "Trailer Brake Lamp Error"? Subsequent to that we attempt to turn Right and the warning indicator sounds with a new message displayed, "Trailer Signal Lamp Fault".

After a bit of searching I learned there is a "Trailer Lamp Controller" located under the passenger step plate.
Two questions:
What is the passenger step plate and how is it accessed?

Thanks,
Dave

#3 ·
Moderator, you should clarify with the gentleman if he has a transit or transit connect. The Transit has a trailer module under the driver step plate which has a recall on it due to water collecting
in the area and shorting out the trailer module making it misbehave. Sounds like that's what's happening here so I think it's really a Transit.

#4 ·
It looks like he has a Transit Connect, but found a search result that applies to the full size Transit.

@Dave B73 --> The passenger step plate is the step inside the door on the full size Transit. On the Transit Connect this module is located inside the rear cargo area, on the passenger side, behind the wheel well area. I doubt it is getting wet in the rain. I would start by verifying the wiring harness and connector at the hitch and work forwards from there. Also, this is assuming you have the OEM trailer wiring and not something from an aftermarket installer.

#5 ·
I'm a truck driver and I recently had a trailer light error code issue. I was so frustrated because I had no idea what it was. I searched online for an answer but there wasn't much information out there. After a few days of trial and error, I figured out what the error code meant and how to fix it. I'm writing this post to help other drivers who might be having the same issue. It's really important to understand trailer light error codes and signal control issues so that you can safely deliver your cargo.

#6 · (Edited)
I've had the same thing happen to me with my Ford Transit Connect, so I understand how frustrating it can be. The passenger step plate is actually the plastic cover that you can remove to access the trailer lamp controller. I suggest you take a look at the owner's manual so you can get a better understanding of how to access the controller. It's usually pretty straightforward, but it can be tricky if you don't know what you're doing. If you're looking for a quality LED trailer light solution, you can view store that offers a wide selection of them. I've had great luck finding what I need for my trailer light issues at a few different online stores. I hope this helps you out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.