Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Towing w/Wheelchair Adapted Transit Connect.

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mogulman 
#1 ·
Towing w/Wheelchair Adapted Transit Connect.
Planning to purchase a Transit Connect REAR entry (FlexFlat™ Ramp System) wheelchair adapted minivan.
1. Is there a possibility of attaching a Ford Factory Towing Package, Trailer Tow Hitch, Wiring & Sway Control, to a rear entry wheelchair handicapped Transit Connect?
2. Is there a possibility of attaching a Ford Factory Towing Package, Trailer Tow Hitch, Wiring & Sway Control, to a rear entry wheelchair handicapped full size Transit 150/250/350?
3. Is there a possibility of attaching an “After-Market” Towing Package, Trailer Tow Hitch, Wiring & Sway Control, to a rear entry wheelchair handicapped Transit Connect?
4. Note: A SIDE ENTRY Transit Connect is not marketed.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
stretch4044,

Good questions, however you have asked them on a Forum that is about Ford Transits. The full size Transits, not the smaller Transit Connects.

Even though there is a sub forum on this sight for transit connects, any questions will still show up on the main forum for Transits.

It's confusing, and kind of dumb that Ford gave two vehicles similar names and then the moderators of this sight compounded the confusion by including a link to the TC.

If you get a full size Transit (question #2 ) why would you want a rear entry that blocks putting other equipment between ramp and driving areas?

Suggest you try and find a forum dedicated to TC, rather than this one as the majority of the members won't be able to help you, or care.

Good luck in your build and hope you can find a forum of TC owners.

Semper Fi

#3 ·
USMC Vet,
Thanks for the feedback on my use of the incorrect forum; Senioritis I suppose but, navigating the Ford Transit forum is maddingly complex for an old fart like me!

BTW, Do you have any suggestions/recommendations to my original item #2 ?
2. Is there a possibility of attaching a Ford Factory Towing Package, Trailer Tow Hitch, Wiring & Sway Control, to a REAR ENTRY wheelchair handicapped full size Transit 150/250/350?
Regards, stretch4044

#4 ·
stretch4044,

As I said above, why?
You can have a full size Transit with the Ford towing package, hitch wiring etc and tow what you want behind the Transit. BUT everytime you want to get in or out of the Transit with the wheelchair, you would have to disconnect whatever you were towing in order to get the wheelchair lift and passenger in / out. By putting the wheelchair in the back doors, you limit yourself to a bare bones interior (so the wheelchair rider can get to the front of the vehicle if they are driving, or being relegated to sitting in the back of the van. Be a heck of a lot simpler to use the side door :eek: for wheelchair entry / exit on a full size Transit.

IMHO, putting a wheelchair lift in the back of a full size Transit would be an absolute waste of money and space. If you want to have the wheelchair lift in the back, buy a smaller vehicle like a TC or a mini-van. Would be cheaper and you wouldn't have so much wasted space.

As for navigating the "Ford Transit Forum" as it says at the top of the page, you are correct. Hope you can find one that says "Ford Transit Connect Forum".

Stupid Ford marketing geniuses. :s

Semper Fi

#5 ·
I've ridden in rear entry taxis numerous times. I really don't feel safe riding in the back. A rear collision could be disastrous. Another negative is I had to get in street traffic to get in. I would avoid rear entry vehicles. Also, I doubt a towing package could be added to a rear entry Transit Connect.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.