Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread is very useful, thanks! But, I have not found much about towing with bigger tires.

I’m towing a 3,500 lb travel trailer with my 2015 Transit 350, single axle, 3.7L engine, 3.73 axle ratio, LWB, medium roof, towing package, stock tires. The GCWR is 10,800 lbs and I typically run just below that.

The rig works well, with over 50,000 miles in 4 years, but I’m thinking about larger tires, maybe the BFG LT255/70R16/E, for off-road without the trailer, and occasional snow.

I understand there would be more weight from the tires, maybe some extra road noise, speedometer inaccuracy, spare tire positioning, and some extra vehicle height.

I’m wondering if anyone has experience or other cautions about towing with larger tires? Thanks for any advice.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Your aware it reduces your effective gear ratio so transmission will need to shift down sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2017 T350, HR, Extended, 3.5EB, 3.31LS
47 Posts
Just some quick thoughts. If you go with 255/70 tires that is an increase in diameter of 2” or 1” taller vehicle which isn’t huge. You’ll still be a wind sail either way in windy Wyoming. I believe the real issue is that you have effectively change your drive ratio by 7% which means 1st gear starting on a hill will be a lot taller. Your speedo will be off also 7% but you can figure that out with app on your cellphone. Curious why you are leaning towards 255/70 as could make it difficult if you need to run real chains. Here in Wyoming I went only with 225/75 BF Goodrich KO2 which allows normal chains (1.2” larger diameter) and all the benefits of the KO2 tires and a 4% difference in rear end gearing and speedo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you!

mikeehlert...regarding downshift. Presently when on an incline, I’ve learned when to disengage cruise control, and let the Transit slow instead of downshifting and building up RPM’s more than I like. I guess with bigger tires that downshift would occur sooner, so I’d need to relearn when to stop the cruise control. I don’t think I’m hurting the Transit by doing that, that is slowing slightly to avoid the engine reving with RPM’s.

sidewaysboy...regarding 255/70’s, I kind of like the small added height for clearance, but somewhere I saw the 225/75 has a max load of 2,680 whereas 255/70 has max load of 3,085, at 80psi. I guess that doesn’t really matter, as the van is weighing in at 7,300, and either tire would cover that weight, but I was thinking higher max weight was better. I do think the 225/75 would fit better in the spare tire rack than the 255/70.

Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts