Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the short arm mirrors and would not want the long arm ones except when I tow a 24 ft tag trailer.
Has anyone found any aftermarket towing mirrors? I tried some that suction cup onto the power mirror glass and have a tether in case the suction lets go. Neat idea since they move with the power mirror but the airflow caused them to start vibrating and I am afraid it might damage the stock mirror. Pretty hard to use them while vibrating anyway ( insert punchline here ;)
The shape seems to be so much more horizontal than a standard pickup mirror. I don't think the regular clip on style will fit.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I looked at few aftermarket​ but didn't find anything yet.... Still got couple months till camping season starts to tow my TT.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm still looking for some type of add on mirrors, the short arm stock ones do not provide a wide enough view for my 24' enclosed trailer. I don't want to switch to the long arm since I use this truck daily for work and only occasionally tow.

All of the universal add on towing mirrors seem to be built for the normal pickup truck size mirrors, the Transits are much taller and I can't seem to find anything that fits.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I doubt it...completely different style of mirror...if they can't share the hubs and wheels I really doubt they will share much else.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I'm still looking for some type of add on mirrors, the short arm stock ones do not provide a wide enough view for my 24' enclosed trailer. I don't want to switch to the long arm since I use this truck daily for work and only occasionally tow.

All of the universal add on towing mirrors seem to be built for the normal pickup truck size mirrors, the Transits are much taller and I can't seem to find anything that fits.

Did you ever find a solution? I have short arm mirrors and don't want long arms either. A friend lent me his box trailer today and found I can't see past the sides of the trailer. Google isn't successful - only cheesy looking strap on mirrors and the suction cup you tried.

If I had more time, another option would be cameras on both sides of the trailer.

Does anyone tow with the short arm mirrors and not being able to see around their trailer? Obviously not a good idea safety wise but how bad of an idea is it? Never do it? Or meh, inconvenient but do it and just deal with the reduced vision?

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have the long arm and really don't like them, but I tow an 8' wide Featherlite occasionally so they are a necessity.

I know some (most?) states have laws requiring mirrors capable of seeing around a trailer...so not having them could get you fined.

Off topic so the easily annoyed can stop reading here-

I had my entire drivers side mirror torn off in a deer collision in AZ. Try driving a van with no left side windows 100+ miles with NO outside mirror!
100+ was how far the nearest auto parts store was- bought a generic mirror and cobbled up a way to mount it on what was left of the upper mirror hinge stub. Put up with that for 6 weeks until the body shop could get my van in back home. Ugly but worked.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sure wish they made them to extend and retract like my old F250 Super duty. But I also need them when I tow. I sure cringe though when I pass a Dodge truck with those long extended mirrors :)

Dean

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Off topic so the easily annoyed can stop reading here-
I love it, just HAD to read it after that intro! It's like the family with the tv in the background "warning, some viewers may find this disturbing" and all conversation stops to watch.😊

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Off topic as well but certainly trying to get the word out. I'll swap someone with long arm ones for my short arms plus some $$$!!! I like the long arms with signals and mine have neither. I'd also be interested in short arms with signals.

Anyway, for a somewhat useful contribution to this thread, I have looked for different options too and can't find anything............yet.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I will add over many years of towing I've tried many add on mirrors, ie they attach to what you have in some fashion> some have used suction cups or straps or were specifically made to slip over a specific mirror.
None have been as good as OEM, some vibrated so much they were near useless.

If I had the shorts and needed longer add-ons I believe I'd try to fab up something that screwed to the OEM mirror housings with something like the plus nut inserts many of us have used for interior fastening.

The glass just pops out of the mirrors so it would be easy to see where they needed to go to avoid problems.
BTW the pop out glass can be dislodged by the mirror hitting a road side reflector post, no damage to the housing but it can slam the mirror folded into the window so hard that the $40 glass flies out and breaks. DAMHIK.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
I know some (most?) states have laws requiring mirrors capable of seeing around a trailer...so not having them could get you fined.

I had my entire drivers side mirror torn off in a deer collision in AZ. for 6 weeks until the body shop could get my van in back home. Ugly but worked.
Crap. I should have figured there would be safety laws. Cameras probably wouldn't fly because the laws haven't caught up to tech.

The deer collision probably would have torn off short or long arm mirrors but the long arms making the van so much wider seems it would be much more likely to get the mirrors torn off in other situations.

If I had the shorts and needed longer add-ons I believe I'd try to fab up something that screwed to the OEM mirror housings with something like the plus nut inserts many of us have used for interior fastening.
I'll probably get one of those mirrors that slip on with straps and tape. They're cheap enough. I just don't anticipate towing this box trailer much beyond this move to spend a lot of money and time I don't have right now to rig up something appropriate.

I like the long arms with signals and mine have neither. I'd also be interested in short arms with signals.
If you were interested in DIY, there have been enough people posting instructions on adding OEM signals to the mirrors. I added LEDs stuck on the outside following @justcallben 's idea of using a $20 Walmart LED string.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Some time ago I had a 1/4 ton truck with no tow mirrors and I bought a 35 foot trailer. I tried every after market strap on, suction cup mirror I could find and they all sucked. Between the wind and road vibration they were worthless to look through. There's nothing like a long armed mirror if you're towing anything. I only wish that Ford would have added power folding mirrors option to my transit. That would be worth its weight in gold. I have the long arms without signals. I'd like to add some flash to it as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I did try some suction cup mounted mirrors which seemed good since they moved with the power mirrors but at speed they vibrated and not only did that make them a little blurry I felt that they would damage the stock mirror.
I have some add on mirrors from an old F150 but the problem is that pickup mirrors are not very tall and the Transit mirror is so tall that the straps will not work. I will try to add some material to use these old mirrors or try some that clip onto the lip of the mirror.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The problem I have found with the strap type clip on mirrors is that they are designed for a horizontal type pick up mirror and the Transits are narrow and tall instead. The straps will not be long enough to go vertically around the mirror housing. I will have to try some to see if I can use the straps sideways and reposition the mirror head.

·
Registered
3,339 Posts
Most people won't want to drill their factory housings but couldn't find mirrors so I made these. I just need them for a few months for an interstate move and then probably never tow a enclosed trailer again. Aftermarket convex mirrors, U-shaped aluminum from an old car divider for dogs. Two bolts and holes in the plastic mirror housing. Two small holes covered with black tape after I remove the mirrors is something I can live with. And I can reattach the mirrors if ever needed again. I didn't screw down the medial part of the mounts so the folding mechanism is intact (Used bungie cords. Covered with black duct tape for looks).

It's sturdy - I've bumped into them with enough force to fold the mirrors. No vibration at speed. They'd work better if they were longer but oh well.

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
Guys I have a set (2) complete, Heated, Power, LONG ARM Mirrors of my 2018 Transit , 250 Miles on the van for Sale! $500 plus shipping . I’m in Virginia , Cell : 540-586-0612 & yes they have the Clear, Turn signal Lamps!

·
Registered
45 Posts
I already got my VIN number for delivery in August so I guess I am going to have to buy a pair from a dealer and replace them. Maybe my dealer will sell me them trade? :) At that point I will be selling my long arms on this forum. The fact that they don't fold makes me think that there will be few buyers. When it said POWER in the configurator I thought it meant power fold. Duh.
I wish I had added lane keeping and towing package too. I wonder what it takes to add the lane keeping hardware and software? Anyone?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts