Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at a 2020 passenger van with Tow Haul Mode as a selectable drive mode. It doesn't have the Heavy Duty Tow Package or Trailer Brake Controller. The dealership insists they can just add them and that they will be as good as the factory. Another dealership insists that unless it has HD Tow Package on window sticker.... it doesn't have Tow Haul Mode. Thanks.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I added it to mine (a 2106) and I wrote a post about it but I’ve learned more since then and depending on what options your van is equipped with I think that the tow haul status might not display on all clusters

also I wouldn’t trust any salesman that says anything like don’t worry about that we can install that later, prove it now or I’ll buy another

·
Registered
2,391 Posts
I am looking at a 2020 passenger van with Tow Haul Mode as a selectable drive mode. It doesn't have the Heavy Duty Tow Package or Trailer Brake Controller. The dealership insists they can just add them and that they will be as good as the factory. Another dealership insists that unless it has HD Tow Package on window sticker.... it doesn't have Tow Haul Mode. Thanks.
Your dealer is incorrect. The HD Trailer package is not a easy add-on and the Trailer Brake Controller that is the add-on version is a manual control unit and would not have the in-dash display like the one you would order from the factory.

·
Registered
112 Posts
After re-reading your post and the reply from another I am a little confused what features you want to add and what the vehicle is equipped with. To me Tow/Haul mode is just the button on the shifter, I added this on my van and wrote about it here Installed HD towing tow/haul functionality This might not work depending if the cluster that the vehicle comes since some clusters might not have the light in the dash but functionality will probably work without the status light similar to how some have recently added OEM cruise control.

I dont think that the transmission or drivetrain is any different with the HD Trailer package but I can not verify this.

From what I have seen and heard the trailer module can be added to any van.

The trailer brake controller can be added but sometimes this is a little difficult and additions to the wiring harness need to be added, also the gain can only be adjusted with a level 2 cluster that only comes with lane departure warning and trailer brake controller I believe.

Also you are talking about a 2020 so everything might be different, idk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It turns out all of the 2020 AWD Passenger vans I was looking at do have Tow Haul mode as a selectable drive mode. In the end, I decided to go with a van that has factory HD tow package and Brake Controller so that I could be sure it would both work and be integrated with the vans dashboard display. CrewVanManInfo thanks for your help.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts