Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, hopefully my last bonehead question for awhile...

Recommendations for minimum tools and parts to carry, for field repairs and such? I'm asking mainly about repairs to the van itself, not my RV components (though I'd welcome ideas there too). I'm trying to be miserly with weight and space, but also don't want to be stuck somewhere wishing I had something basic.

-- Most common nut and bolt head sizes? (I don't want to carry a jumbo socket/wrench kit, just the ones most likely needed.)
-- Nut/bolt head sizes for crucial items more likely to need replacement or tightening over time, e.g., starter, alternator, etc.?
-- A better jack? (I've seen a few mentions of the stock jack being crap. Perhaps I should test it...)
-- Tow hook or ?? for the front? (I haven't spotted a tow hook for the front end. What do folks do there? I have a hitch receiver in back.)
-- Fuses? (I don't recall seeing spares in the van.)
-- Other....?

Already in the toolbox: Breaker bar for the lugnuts. Tow strap. 2x10 slabs to support the jack, etc. Small air compressor. Screwdrivers, pliers, gorilla tape, repair wire, zipties, small can of WD40, and other generic stuff.

FWIW, I'm in a 2019 Ecoboost with a QuadVan conversion. This being a new, modern vehicle, I realize there's less I can do myself with the engine, and hopefully less that will need to be done. But I hate heading-out empty-handed, and plan to travel where cell service and help will be spotty/non-existent .

As far as repairs to the RV components go, I'm thinking some extra hose clamps for the Espar/Hydronic unit, extra fuses, and the aforementioned generic stuff. But it's not like I'll be stranded if an RV component fails.

Thanks!
DH

·
Registered
457 Posts
I used the stock jack in the spring to swap winter to summer tires. I did it on packed gravel with the jack directly on the ground. A nice piece of wood to spread the load would have helped a bit, but even still it didn't sink in very far. The handle was a bit of a pain to assemble, but nothing too challenging. I found it easier to get done than some people have complained about. I'll continue to rely on the factory jack.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Glad to hear the jack is sufficient - thanks! And yep, have the slabs of wood covered.

Anyone have thoughts on the socket and wrench size question, and other questions?

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have no comment on your logic for not carrying a complete set of tools, but for tow hooks head back to Quadvan.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
A Scanner for reading vehicle fault codes and internet access to find out what those codes mean.

You should also read the My Espar is broken and how to repair it Transit forum threads too.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I used the stock jack in the spring to swap winter to summer tires. I did it on packed gravel with the jack directly on the ground. A nice piece of wood to spread the load would have helped a bit, but even still it didn't sink in very far. The handle was a bit of a pain to assemble, but nothing too challenging. I found it easier to get done than some people have complained about. I'll continue to rely on the factory jack.
Its important to get familiar with any vehicle's spare tire kit/change before attempting in less than ideal conditions.

Best one I've seen is on my former Mercedes B200 and the worst is on my current Nissan Sentra.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
It appears that the fuel pump control module is prone to failure and can leave you stranded.
Located underneath the van, sort of under the driver seat area.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
LOL. You mean I shouldn't take my entire 80 lb. tub of tools?
Or just a spare vehicle, like a SmartCar. You might be able to carry that in the back, though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts