Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m at a loss for how to get the 1/4 inch cedar ceiling t and g to conform to the front portion of the van, that dramatic curve is too much for it and snaps. I’ve tried steam but even after 45 mins it won’t conform....please any insight you guys have or ideas or anything would be really great

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Wow, .25" can't take that bow? That's some brittle wood!

You can try to do a kerf cut halfway through the board every inch, or maybe 1/2". That should allow it to bow.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Might try the slots but when I did it just snapped badly seems like all the 1/4 boards are cupped badly

·
Registered
250 Posts
I've never tried to steam T&G, dunno if it will ever slot together right. But if ceder isn't bending I'd guess your steamer is getting enough steam/ temperature to the wood. Ceder should bend pretty easily.

·
Registered
2,640 Posts
I did not have any problem with mine but it is a Medium roof and I have a slightly dropped ceiling.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Question: are you running the boards East/West, or North/South? I guess I don't know which part has the "dramatic curve". I have a MR.

Another suggestion: Get better material that won't break. I used laminate flooring for my ceiling, North/South, and it conformed to the roof curve just fine.

Reactions: Guri

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Running north south, ya perhaps the heat isn’t getting to it, I thought it should bend pretty darn easily as well. I’ll give the suggestions you guys gave me a try tomorrow and report back! Thanks all!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I’m at a loss for how to get the 1/4 inch cedar ceiling t and g to conform to the front portion of the van, that dramatic curve is too much for it and snaps. I’ve tried steam but even after 45 mins it won’t conform....please any insight you guys have or ideas or anything would be really great
I had trouble with this too. Not sure what the best way is but here is what I did. I added a wedge to the rib right before the T&G starts to bow down. This made the bend less severe. I also made an arc piece covered with indoor / outdoor carpet for the boards to press against at the . It worked well till I got close to the walls of the van, started breaking the T & G. Mounted a thin piece of ply covered in the carpet and covered the gap on each side. Not the way I had hoped to finish it but it was easy and worked. When my cabinets are put up you won't see much of that area any way. Hope this is useful.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
where's the bend? I guess it's the first rib to the headliner?

nevermind, I see the above post now.

·
Registered
5,965 Posts
Another wood thing is fabric softener overnight, make sure it's unscented! I've never tried that, but other people recommend it. Soaking in anything is going to make the wood swell, and there's no telling how it will look once dry, so let it dry before actually putting any screws through it. Just hold it in place with clamps until dry.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Sportcoupe, what exact material did u use? Looks nice.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are your vans medium roofs? Looks like the downturn isn’t nearly as severe, but maybe I’m just a band wood bender! I’ll give the fabric softener trick a try tonight, giving it another shot today and I’ll report back!

·
Registered
1,736 Posts

·
Registered
1,736 Posts
Are your vans medium roofs? Looks like the downturn isn’t nearly as severe, but maybe I’m just a band wood bender! I’ll give the fabric softener trick a try tonight, giving it another shot today and I’ll report back!
Mine is a high roof, LWB.

·
Registered
373 Posts
"Bendable plywood, also known as Curve-Ply, Flexply, Wacky Wood and Wiggle Wood, bending plywood, is normally made out of hardwood imported veneers with the layers all running in one direction, this allows bend-ability to the panel and can be applied on a curved radius."

Bending Plywood (Flexply, Wacky Wood and Wiggle Wood)

·
Registered
2 Posts
First of all I have a high roof Transit and assume you do too. I had a similar issue using 9/16” lap siding. When I got past the last ceiling rib at the front of the van, I lessened the bend by adding about 3 2x4 chunks (maybe 4-6” long) behind the siding on the edges near the foam blobs (so that made two 4-1/2” spacers, one on each side). I found the middle pieces of siding flexed well enough to go under the front rigid headliner. Friction alone holds the front edge of the lap siding
in place.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Are you in a very dry climate? Strange that you're having problems. I was actually surprised I didn't break any of my 1/4" (I think it's 5/16" technically) pine T&G from Home Depot. I used the same for the walls and not one snapped. I know this isn't very helpful, but my best guess is your supply got very dried out somehow.

High roof, LWB

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts