Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I losing any vehicle functionality if I do not connect? I'm in Alaska with a 2021 148 AWD T-150. Had to take what was on the lot so I did not have the opportunity to spec things. Fordpass Connect and Sync 3 are installed. There is no navigation module. I have not connected as I would need to go get a new phone, most of the state does not have ATT coverage, and I do not need any of the entertainment or communication functions connecting provides.

So my question is: Does being connected provide any functional benefit to the vehicle itself or my to operation of the Van?

If I've missed something I would like to hear about it.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Am I losing any vehicle functionality if I do not connect? I'm in Alaska with a 2021 148 AWD T-150. Had to take what was on the lot so I did not have the opportunity to spec things. Fordpass Connect and Sync 3 are installed. There is no navigation module. I have not connected as I would need to go get a new phone, most of the state does not have ATT coverage, and I do not need any of the entertainment or communication functions connecting provides.

So my question is: Does being connected provide any functional benefit to the vehicle itself or my to operation of the Van?

If I've missed something I would like to hear about it.
Can't answer your question, but if you are not going to connect, it might be helpful to go through the menus and shut off all of the connections so that no (?) power is going to the modem. I can't exactly recall all of the settings, but there were several I shutoff. My 2020 (with dual batteries) sat in my driveway for 5-6 weeks with me going in and out of it a bunch times triggering the cargo lights to go on. The other day, I started it up with no problem. It makes me wonder if the modem is one of the significant parasitic loads on the van that is causing the dead battery problems some people have reported when the van has sat for a period of time. 🤷‍♀️ FWIW - just a theory, I have not done any testing.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
While I can't answer your specific question either, I have a suggestion. After reading the permissions given to Ford by anyone syncing their phone to the Transit systems, I did it in a different manner.
I bought a TracFone that is used exclusively with the Transit. It has no information on it that can be accessed by Ford. The basic minute packages of 60 minutes for 90 days @ $19.99 provides the linkage needed and can be used for whatever I need without giving any information that I don't want shared. The cost compared to a monthly charge with any of the regular plans is way cheaper. Phone is plugged in to USB and is on / charging when engine is on and power to it is shut off at the 30 minute mark like the radio when engine is off.

You can get them for whichever provider has the better reception in your area and Just another way to have it for emergencies.

Semper Fi

1 - 3 of 3 Posts