Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Why I choose the Ford Transit and what I like and don't like.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Heating your van, more myths exposed!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
you're obviously not #vanlifing right. I have not seen ONE neohippy chic lounging around in or near your van. I suspect you're a fraud.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
you're obviously not #vanlifing right. I have not seen ONE neohippy chic lounging around in or near your van. I suspect you're a fraud.
At my age, the only time they lounge around my van is when they are stopping to check on me to see if I am still alive :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Photomike - I feel your pain. I've wanted to have a campervan for the past 41 years (the first time I heard of a Vanagon) and finally convinced my husband to join me. When I raised the topic about 20 years ago he unequivocally said that he would travel in a campervan over his dead body. As a special treat, he agreed to go camping last year and he really liked it so now that we just retired, we have purchased our van and will be building it out ourselves (thankfully he is highly skilled and loves teaching me). However, the most depressing part of our timing is exactly the issues of what comments here have been saying - it has become a 'thing' and 'in' and it looks like in many videos the insane are describing their asylum. Because hubby knows construction but not all the ins and outs of van construction we have watched hundreds of youtubes and been aghast at the absolute stupidity exhibited by the idiot know-it-alls. I look forward to your videos. Since I had to come in from camping in 1990 when I married him (except for those brief few years when my children liked me and would go camping with me and leave dad at home), I need to do a restart on playing in the wild. The funny part is my kids are true outdoors people. My daughter surfs every weekend in Washington State and sleeps in her Prius on the beach and my son lives in Denver and spends his life hiking and camping. I'm glad those few years had a bit of influence.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
So many of the #vanlife people start out buying a cheap van only to regret it. In this video, I go through the good and bad of each and ideas to hopefully save you from a HUGE mistake.

·
Registered
50 Posts
@Photomike I can feel your pain. The van craze enhanced by the pandemic is going to produce some interesting results. My wife found this TV show the other day where they follow a couple to a few RV dealers -- sort of like those househunter shows, but for RVs. This couple had never been camping in their life but wanted to do the full-time RV thing. They looked at a fifth wheel camper (they didn't own a truck), a fairly large motorhome, and a class C campervan. Those are some pretty different rigs. Hard to imagine how that's going to turn out well.

I think a lot of people are being sold on the idea that a camper is the solution to the pandemic and that they can travel and social distance themselves. The marketing images they see are of a camper parked all by itself next to a mountain lake with bald eagles circling. What they are instead finding, unless they are outdoorsy folks like us 💪living in areas with some nearby wildlands, are jam-packed noisy campgrounds with boisterous parties on weekends.

The stories I'm hearing about crazy campgrounds has me longing to return to the Charlie Russel Refuge in Montana, or the expansive BLM and monument lands in Utah. That is how I like social distancing.
For me it’s REALLY distressing. Being 60-something, there are beautiful places we used to go where it was quiet, full of wildlife, etc. I just checked on one of those places (up on Lake Superior) where it was first-come/first served for years. Once in a while it might be approaching full on holidays. Discovered it’s ALL now reservation only and completely booked until the end of October! I’m actually terrified it will be like this from now on. I hope all these newbies that are leaving trash and poop all over the place (!!!!) will burn out and leave their new toys sitting in the driveway. Yes, I’d love to go back to Utah, Colorado, etc. for some of the backcountry spots....but I’m very afraid of what I might find.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts