Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I didn't sense so much pain as longing for us to subscribe to his YouTube channel. :cool:
If that is what you think then that is fine. You don't need to subscribe to watch.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I enjoyed the videos and also liked and subscribed.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I didn't sense so much pain as longing for us to subscribe to his YouTube channel. :cool:

Someone just mentioned to me that the one person that complains about what I am doing makes money from those that buy his recommended products. THAT IS FUNNY!!!

Reactions: greenvan

·
Registered
309 Posts
#vanlife is a lifestyle best left to vagabonds, the income-challenged, serial killers, hobos, and perpetual outdoor enthusiasts (no job, home, or obligations; all time spent rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, etc).
Interesting that you should mention serial killers. About 7 years ago when I was looking for a van project I drove past a white ford van in someone's front yard with a for sale sign on the windshield. I mentioned to my friend riding with me that I could get something like that and build a camper. She gave me a long look to see if I was serious and then asked "does it come with a fake arm cast? If you buy that I won't be riding with you."
So at least #vanlife has made white Ford vans cool rather than homicidal. ;)

·
Registered
576 Posts
Someone just mentioned to me that the one person that complains about what I am doing makes money from those that buy his recommended products. THAT IS FUNNY!!!
Who complained about what you are doing?

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Interesting that you should mention serial killers. About 7 years ago when I was looking for a van project I drove past a white ford van in someone's front yard with a for sale sign on the windshield. I mentioned to my friend riding with me that I could get something like that and build a camper. She gave me a long look to see if I was serious and then asked "does it come with a fake arm cast? If you buy that I won't be riding with you."
So at least #vanlife has made white Ford vans cool rather than homicidal. ;)
If you drive a white van with the windows covered up, and everyone calls you by your full name (first, middle and last), then you might be a serial killer.
If you drive a white van with the windows covered up and everyone knows you as Stumpy or Zues or some other single word, you might be a vagabond or hobo.
If you drive a white van with the windows covered up and your name is hyphenated such as Billy-Joe or Bobby-Sue, then you might be income challenged.

(note: in rural Oregon I knew a guy who named his daughter Amy-Sue. No, it's not short for Amelia Susan, it's actually Amy-Sue, no middle name. Also, he lived in a singlewide)

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm old (57), I'm tired, and it takes me about an hour to saw through a 2 x 4 with a mini hack saw because that's what I have. I'm all over information and videos but I've thrown out the plans I drew for 3 years and what I build will be what suits me. At this point, I'm mostly just going to build something to make sure the motorcycles don't join me in the front seat if life gets weird on the road. Like maybe a bear stops by to share a sammich.

Happy to steal all the good ideas I can find!

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
dekuji; you need to get a Japanese style saw. Cuts on the pull stroke, so the blade can be super thin. I can get through a 2x4 in 4-5 strokes with my middling quality saw. It's like a serrated razor blade. But I save that for fine woodworking, not constructiony things. It looks like you have the perfect excuse to buy a large set of cordless tools! One overlooked but very handy cordless tool is a finish nailer. Great for holding stuff in place until you can get a real screw in it.

Reactions: dekuji63

·
Registered
518 Posts
dekuji; you need to get a Japanese style saw. Cuts on the pull stroke, so the blade can be super thin. I can get through a 2x4 in 4-5 strokes with my middling quality saw. It's like a serrated razor blade. But I save that for fine woodworking, not constructiony things. It looks like you have the perfect excuse to buy a large set of cordless tools! One overlooked but very handy cordless tool is a finish nailer. Great for holding stuff in place until you can get a real screw in it.

View attachment 137707
View attachment 137709
are those affiliate links :)

·
Registered
373 Posts
"Sometimes I don't know where this dirty road is taking me
Sometimes I don't even know the reason why
But I guess I keep a-gamblin', lots of booze, and lots of ramblin'
Well, it's easier than just a-waitin' around to die"

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I just finished a video about the "I am going to live in a van when I go to school". It can be done but it is a lot harder then most understand.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
In my series about real life vanlife this time I talk about being safe living in your van in the city. Many starting out are nervous about sleeping in their van as they have never done anything like this before. Mostly it is because they don't park in the right paces. Learn where to park and what not to do with your van.

·
Registered
410 Posts
In my series about real life vanlife this time I talk about being safe living in your van in the city. Many starting out are nervous about sleeping in their van as they have never done anything like this before. Mostly it is because they don't park in the right paces. Learn where to park and what not to do with your van.

You're Canadian, eh?!? I didn't watch the whole video, but suspect a good firearm (or multiple) wasn't included in your "safety in the city" video. 'Merica! ;):cool::) In all seriousness, this information/wisdom is good to share with people. Kudos, my friend.

Craig

·
Registered
50 Posts
@Photomike I can feel your pain. The van craze enhanced by the pandemic is going to produce some interesting results. My wife found this TV show the other day where they follow a couple to a few RV dealers -- sort of like those househunter shows, but for RVs. This couple had never been camping in their life but wanted to do the full-time RV thing. They looked at a fifth wheel camper (they didn't own a truck), a fairly large motorhome, and a class C campervan. Those are some pretty different rigs. Hard to imagine how that's going to turn out well.

I think a lot of people are being sold on the idea that a camper is the solution to the pandemic and that they can travel and social distance themselves. The marketing images they see are of a camper parked all by itself next to a mountain lake with bald eagles circling. What they are instead finding, unless they are outdoorsy folks like us 💪living in areas with some nearby wildlands, are jam-packed noisy campgrounds with boisterous parties on weekends.

The stories I'm hearing about crazy campgrounds has me longing to return to the Charlie Russel Refuge in Montana, or the expansive BLM and monument lands in Utah. That is how I like social distancing.
Oh God, I'm with you! Already seeing stories of idiots out there destroying national parks, national forests, etc. Where did all these STUPID PEOPLE come from?????? Where did they get all the money to buy all these rv's, vans, etc.????? We camped out of the back of a 4wd pickup truck for 25+ years in order to get away from people! Found some amazing spots, always practicing no-trace camping. Just recently bought 2020 AWD Transit to do a simple build for a bit more comfort and to still get away from people. Will the entire country be overrun now? I wish EVERYONE had to take some kind of "leave no trace" training course before they're allowed on public lands!!!😠

·
Registered
50 Posts
#vanlife is a sick perversion.
I have consulted my crystal ball, and it will go the way of #tinyhome within a year or two.
Neophytes who were inspired by fantastic blogs and glamour pics from #vanlife photoshoots will rapidly discover that being in a van for more than a week or two at a time is a miserable, limiting existence requiring huge compromises.

#vanlife is a lifestyle best left to vagabonds, the income-challenged, serial killers, hobos, and perpetual outdoor enthusiasts (no job, home, or obligations; all time spent rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, etc).

And what kind of fool stays in campgrounds?! OMG, they are even worse than the worst, most crowded, noisey neighborhood in any city. "Dispersed camping" on BLM and NFS is the only way to go. If you can see or hear any other campers, you're too close together.
Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......don't tell them about dispersed camping!!!!!!! :eek:

·
Registered
5,969 Posts
Oh, don't worry. The campground types would be concerned about "off roading" their vans on the dirt roads, and wouldn't venture onto a dirt road unless they had done $20k in off-pavementing modifications, including tires that rub when going over bumps.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I just finished a video about the "I am going to live in a van when I go to school". It can be done but it is a lot harder then most understand.

The first years of van life are actually very simular to going to school , a lot of your time is spent just figuring out how to get things working and learning , just figuring out how to get a complete system going , that's not good when going to school because you need almost all of your mental focus on school , these days I don't know why anybody would go to school when all info is available online for free !!!

21 - 40 of 67 Posts