Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am on many forums and groups about #vanlife #tinyhomes #buslife #ambulanceconversions etc.

I cannot believe all the misinformation that is out there. Some of the misinformation is done by accident. But just as much, if not more, is put out there by people that are trying to sell a product. It seems as Instagram has picked up on these movements that it is the blind leading the blind more and more and many of the newbies are very gullible.

I teach photography and since our fun with Covid has happened I have started to do more of my teaching online and I have started making videos as well to still be able to teach my students. Then the other day after typing my ten thousandth response to "What do I use for a toilet" and my millionth response to "Is it safe to sleep in bear country in a van"? I thought why not put it into some videos. I want to do something to help those that are considering getting into an alternate home or lifestyle before they make mistakes that may cost them a fortune.

So why I am I qualified to do this? Well I have spent a good part of my past 55 plus years outside for work and pleasure. I have hiked, canoed, kayaked, rafted, climbed, cycled & camped. I have probably spent more days outside then many in these movements have been alive (someone said the average age of a #vanlife person on Instagram is 20 and it is dropping - scary to me). I do not sell anything nor am I sponsored by anyone, I just want to get the basic information out there that is majorly lacking in these movements.

So if you are interested my videos are on my Youtube channel White Turtle Adventures

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Lots of luck. I did not have a clue about Vanlife when I jumped into this, I was just following an old dream of wanting a 1980s Custom Van.
When I got here all of the Vanners were jumping from overpriced Sprinter camper builds into the Transit. It was easy for me to let myself get sucked up into it, Spend about 30 Grand on a new Transit and another 10 Grand for the build.
If I had it to do over I would get a ACR and probably skip the Inverter, Batteries charged just fine for the last 100 years off of the alternator.
After my first camper rebuild I got my 1980s van, The bed takes up 2/3 of the floor space and there is a refrigerator in the corner. My fancy electrical system powers the tv.

·
Registered
64 Posts
A wise man once said, 'you have to let life go on around you.' Kudos for trying, but don't let it get you down. There will always be the 'seemingly' helpless among us.

·
Registered
959 Posts
Is it safe to sleep on the toilet bare?

(Always late to the party)

·
Registered
227 Posts
I get tired of all the "lifestyle articles" in the media listing 10 reasons why #vanlife is the best or worst idea ever. If you spend a lot of time outside when camping, want a compact, maneuverable vehicle that can get off the beaten path and is comfortable to sleep in, check out a van. If you look longingly at 40 ft Class A's (because 45 ft is a bit ostentatious), then don't buy a van.

·
Registered
275 Posts
@Photomike I can feel your pain. The van craze enhanced by the pandemic is going to produce some interesting results. My wife found this TV show the other day where they follow a couple to a few RV dealers -- sort of like those househunter shows, but for RVs. This couple had never been camping in their life but wanted to do the full-time RV thing. They looked at a fifth wheel camper (they didn't own a truck), a fairly large motorhome, and a class C campervan. Those are some pretty different rigs. Hard to imagine how that's going to turn out well.

I think a lot of people are being sold on the idea that a camper is the solution to the pandemic and that they can travel and social distance themselves. The marketing images they see are of a camper parked all by itself next to a mountain lake with bald eagles circling. What they are instead finding, unless they are outdoorsy folks like us 💪living in areas with some nearby wildlands, are jam-packed noisy campgrounds with boisterous parties on weekends.

The stories I'm hearing about crazy campgrounds has me longing to return to the Charlie Russel Refuge in Montana, or the expansive BLM and monument lands in Utah. That is how I like social distancing.

·
Registered
5,825 Posts
#vanlife is a sick perversion.
I have consulted my crystal ball, and it will go the way of #tinyhome within a year or two.
Neophytes who were inspired by fantastic blogs and glamour pics from #vanlife photoshoots will rapidly discover that being in a van for more than a week or two at a time is a miserable, limiting existence requiring huge compromises.

#vanlife is a lifestyle best left to vagabonds, the income-challenged, serial killers, hobos, and perpetual outdoor enthusiasts (no job, home, or obligations; all time spent rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, etc).

And what kind of fool stays in campgrounds?! OMG, they are even worse than the worst, most crowded, noisey neighborhood in any city. "Dispersed camping" on BLM and NFS is the only way to go. If you can see or hear any other campers, you're too close together.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I have consulted my crystal ball, and it will go the way of #tinyhome within a year or two.
Neophytes who were inspired by fantastic blogs and glamour pics from #vanlife photoshoots will rapidly discover that being in a van for more than a week or two at a time is a miserable, limiting existence requiring huge compromises.
I don't disagree at all about the trajectory of the #vanlife thing, but IMHO, the tiny house movement will continue, especially as more municipalities support the idea, and as people get fed up with the traditional "American Dream" that includes a hefty mortgage.

I'm in a 1000 sq. ft. house now (no means "tiny", relatively speaking), and will be building a new, sprawling (sarcasm) 864 sq. ft. house next year...hoping to do so with cash. Low overhead = No more "man holding me down" :).

Craig

·
Registered
959 Posts
... being in a van for more than a week or two at a time is a miserable, limiting existence requiring huge compromises.
Compromises, yes. Huge, no. I have a funny way of adapting and have everything I need. I consider my van luxurious compared to many of the backcountry camping trips I've taken (perhaps "endured", sometimes). Thus, I'm only miserable in the summer heat but it forces me out and doing something else.

But ya, it's all bikinis and backdrops when it comes to #vanlife. No, you don't want me in a bikini on YouTube - or maybe you're into that, it's not for me to judge. :p 👬

#vanlife is a lifestyle best left to vagabonds, the income-challenged, serial killers, hobos, and perpetual outdoor enthusiasts (no job, home, or obligations; all time spent rock climbing, mountain biking, kayaking, etc).
Vagabond? Technically, by definition, yes.
Income-challenged? Not until I leave my current job and take a well deserved extended holiday. Even then, the interest will continue to compound (in my favour) and the investments will continue to grow.
Serial killer? Don't push me.
Hobo? Again, only by definition and choice.
Perpetual outdoor enthusiast? Absolutely.

And what kind of fool stays in campgrounds?! OMG, they are even worse than the worst, most crowded, noisey neighborhood in any city. "Dispersed camping" on BLM and NFS is the only way to go. If you can see or hear any other campers, you're too close together.
Can't agree more.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

NOOOOOOOOOOOO not something else because of Covid. Hording - fine. Covid weight gain - I understand. Covid hair - I have had that for 15 years. BUT NOT Covid camping!!!!
:poop: I need to move further away from civilization!!!!!!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts