Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me approximately how long it will take to have a van delivered in Canada? I'm looking for the approximate length of time between when I place the order at the dealer and when I return to pick up the van. Any ballpark figures for what I'm looking at? 10 weeks? 20 weeks? 30 weeks? Longer?

I will be contacting a couple of dealers and asking them for estimates, but I'd love feedback from people who've gone (or are going) through the process and who can provide me with 'real world' delivery times. Not timelines 'promised' by sales people eager to make a commission.

In my particular situation, I'm wanting to have the van delivered in early January of 2019 as I'll be out of the country until then. Consequently, I'm trying to determine when I need to order the van to have it delivered then. I also want to take advantage of the promotions currently on offer which will save me about $6,000 off the purchase price. So I have a few different considerations.

Any advice or feedback would be much appreciated. Cheers

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from BC.
We were at a dealer today and were told that it would be 5 to 6 months for delivery. We hope to order this week !

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
A lot of it has to do with the body style you will be ordering as much as the time it takes to get delivery in Canada. Ford builds the Transit based on the body style as they supply the assembly line with similar parts as there are so many different configurations on the Transit that it would take too much room to keep all of the various parts for the LR, MR, and HR models. Each body style is built for shipping to Canada, then they are lined up at the KC Distribution Center for delivery. Once they are loaded, then they head out to Canada.

From this point, not sure how the Transits are handled when they cross into Canada. Would need someone on that side of the border to explain what happens at that point. In the USA, the Transits leave the KC Distribution Center by rail car and are dropped off at the various regional Distribution Centers located in many places around the country. They are offloaded at these centers and then are distributed to the ordering Ford dealer. On the LR models, these can go on the larger multiple auto convoys with other vehicles while the MR & HR models tend to be transported by a flat bed or slant bed truck or trailer to the dealer.

I'm sure that Canada dealers and salespersons do not like to tell the customer how long it takes to get the Transit from order point to delivery as they believe the customer would not order it knowing that information. Same thing happens with the USA dealers and salespersons. Most just try to pacify the customer telling them 8 to 10 weeks when it takes longer than that just to get the Transit built at the plant.

With Matt Ford being 24 miles from the plant, we tend to get our Transits faster than most dealers outside the areas where it takes the railroad to deliver the vehicle. Even with our close proximity to the plant, it can be a guessing game when the Transit will actually show up. Some have come to us as early as 2 days after being released from Quality Control and others that get held up for Quality Control or parts issues may take a month or longer from its projected build/delivery date.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hello from BC.
We were at a dealer today and were told that it would be 5 to 6 months for delivery. We hope to order this week !

Thanks for the reply. I hope mine doesn't take 5-6 months and that could potentially mess up my plans. I ordered mine about a month ago. If it takes 6 months that will take me into February before I get it. I sincerely hope that's not the case. I'll be sure to update here once I get confirmation of a build date from the dealer.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure that Canada dealers and salespersons do not like to tell the customer how long it takes to get the Transit from order point to delivery as they believe the customer would not order it knowing that information. Same thing happens with the USA dealers and salespersons. Most just try to pacify the customer telling them 8 to 10 weeks when it takes longer than that just to get the Transit built at the plant.
Thanks CrewVanMan. Yeah . . . I think its all a guessing game with the dealers probably having less information than a lot of people (like yourself) on this forum. I placed my order about a month ago and was really hoping for a November or early December delivery. If it doesn't arrive until January or February that will mess up my plans. :(

I'm guessing Canadian's can't pick up the vehicles direct from the factory in KC, or from dealers like yourself who are close? I know you can route vans purchased from other US dealers to your location, but I doubt you could do the same for Canadian orders. With that in mind, I'm guessing once the van is actually built, the transport time to Canada wouldn't be that long. But hey . . . I know nothing!! ha! ha!

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
If you have a dealer that will work with you, they have the same Vehicle Visibility that I have via the dealership. They should know pretty much their timeline once they place the order from past history. You also should have some Canadian forum members who have already went through a order to arrival at a Canadian dealer experience so they may fill in the information you are looking for.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks CrewVanMan. How long does it typically take for a van to show up in the system and have a build date scheduled once it’s ordered?

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
It has to do with the dealer allocation for Transits based on prior sales. The more Transits you sell, the more allocation that Ford gives you to continue ordering.

When I first started sending forum members to Matt Ford back in 2016, they previously only had 2 allocations per quarter and those would only be LR vans or 1 MR van. As you get orders from the customer and you are past your allocation number, you can go to your Ford area manager and request more allocation based on a customer order. If there are open allocations not used by other dealers in the area, then you may be able to get additional ones. Over the past 2 years with all the retail customer orders coming to Matt Ford, we have built up a large allocation number now (21 per quarter) so we can order just about any body style and get it built. There may be times when we can't fill those open allocations so if you don't fill them as you get them, another dealer may have the chance to get additional ones and you may lose out on keeping your number if you fail to place more orders. So far this year, we have been able to fill all of the retail allocations except one and we filled it with a T-150 MR Transit passenger van that will be a stock unit for the dealership.

If you have allocation for a ordered Transit, then you can get a VIN and build date within a few weeks. That is based on the body style you order and how the plant is scheduling that particular body style. If your particular body style is not in the updated schedule for that pass, then your order will stay out there as Unscheduled - Clean. If you do not have the allocation for that Transit body style, then it just stays with that notation. Once your Transit matches what schedule is going on the assembly line, then it is pulled for build and you will get a VIN and projected build date by WEEK. Later on you will get a specific DAY and that can change during the build cycle based on the movement of the assembly line.

Check with your ordering dealer and see if they can tell you about your order as far as allocation and what the Vehicle Visibility report is telling them about your order. They have it just like we do at Matt Ford.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It has to do with the dealer allocation for Transits based on prior sales. The more Transits you sell, the more allocation that Ford gives you to continue ordering.
Thanks CrewVanMan. So am I understanding you correctly that in order to put my order through, a dealer has to have been allocated one of the models that I'm trying to order? And that if they don't have any allocations for that particular vehicle they have to scrounge around and to get another dealer's allocation?

Cheers

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
just had word from my dealer that they now have a VIN for the vehicle, but no other info (scheduled build date, etc.). At last its past the first hurdle

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
Send me your VIN by PM and I will see how it lines up with the ones I have so far. Every time I get a FULL 17 digit VIN, there is a projected build date shown as 'WEEK OF month/day/year' and changes to 'DAY OF' after a few days.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Ordered mine today, salesman said 3-4 months. So we know it will be longer ; ) For me this is actually good, I can build up my down payment! And perhaps I can find time to design the perfect build plan.

·
Registered
17 Posts
The LONG Wait time

Hi - just bought T350 HR Ext on Oct 13 from Toronto. I was told minimum 4 months. Still no VIN to track.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts