Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2017, cargo, 130inch, mr, dbl sliders, 3.2 dsl, 3.31 rear end, used 13.5k mi.
137 Posts
Noticed your list includes Vanmade Gear window covers. Have looked hard and wide at the usual suspects and after fondling them all (nearly so) have just placed an order for their Transit window coverings. Absolutely superb and whilst vetting the business, spoke directly to the business owner who was so interested in R&D of each offering and sought discriminating feedback of any item. Pretty good business model, made in USA, employees 9 people and the materials that I handled will last longer than I will probably own the vehicle.

Kudows Vanmade Gear and good luck with your total build deadtreadz.

·
Registered
3,517 Posts
Got to the bottom of my B2B issues - it was actually a bad Blue Sea 285 fuse. Probably faulty due to getting hit by the shroud of our 10-way seats.
Glad you got it solved. Don't you hate it when you overlook the obvious. Never happens to me.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Ski season rolled in and I got off track with my build. I ended up redoing the bed front fascia so I could put panels in and use it as a "square" point for building my kitchen cabinet and bench that holds the toilet and Truckfridge.

Getting the bike tray in made things really real for me.

Redoing the bed fascia

First cabinet... three more to go (waiting til spring... it's ski season...). We're stoked on the maple butcher block counter. Got it free as an offcut from friends who installed a 32" x 42" apron front sink. It was the perfect size for us to mount our sink and have a little extendo counter on a Lagun.

This week I will be trying to get the bench done, sink installed, and the Lagun mounted to that cabinet.

Reactions: Kabouter

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
After a massive hiatus I am back to building.

We ended up doing a 30 state trip with our build not totally finished.

Before we left we got most of our living area semi-sorted out. We got our composting toilet enclosed and our fridge up and running.

Toilet Wood Plumbing fixture Flooring Gas
Wood Floor Flooring Gas Rectangle

We loaded up all our ski gear, bike gear, and three seasons of clothes. Then we hit the road.

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

The Wasatch was hitting hard for a few weeks. AWD + Nokian Hakka snow tires was a great choice.

Land vehicle Wheel Tire Car Vehicle

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Wheel Tire Bicycle Cloud Sky
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Vehicle

The van stayed relatively unchanged for the whole trip... until we hit Arkansas. Then we scrambled to cobble together some bug and rain protection. Awning ran $14 at the crappy tool store - suction cups, tarp, and p-cord did the trick.

Wheel Tire Bicycle Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
33 Posts
After a massive hiatus I am back to building.

We ended up doing a 30 state trip with our build not totally finished.

Before we left we got most of our living area semi-sorted out. We got our composting toilet enclosed and our fridge up and running.

View attachment 160173 View attachment 160174

We loaded up all our ski gear, bike gear, and three seasons of clothes. Then we hit the road.

View attachment 160175

The Wasatch was hitting hard for a few weeks. AWD + Nokian Hakka snow tires was a great choice.

View attachment 160177
How did the AWD do?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
How did the AWD do?
It ROCKED. Hauled a bunch of ass up Cottonwood Canyon in the snow. Climbed some bombed-out hills in Durango. The only time we sunk the van was in deep snow in Maine... but the AWD pulled it right out with a little fancy driving. We didn't get too far off the beaten path in the desert but we definitely got OUT THERE and did a lot of driving on BLM roads. AWD was solid and we're glad we played the game to get one. We were more concerned with clearance than traction when things got sporty.

The Turbo was also top notch. Having good pick up in a (windowless) vehicle that size when it's just you and 18 wheelers was awesome.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Just registered to the site today and found your build. Awesome work, and it's right in line with what we're looking at!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Awesome! What slides are you using?
60 inchers are tough to find. Been buying Chinese slides off Amazon - Vevor brand - would not recommend them. I used name brand slides on my bike tray and they're a lot better but were almost $100 more. I have to replace the bottom slides since the out position lock is not working. Replacing with another cheap Chinese brand - dual locking 60" Aolisheng slides. Returning the Vevor 60" slides... the 48" ones seem a bit better since there's less torsion on the partially extending drawer. If you see a set of 60" slides available from Amazon warehouse in a few weeks don't buy them...

·
Registered
30 Posts
How are you getting up onto your bed. I'm assuming your bed platform is somewhere in the 35 to 40 inches off the floor. Are your using the fridge cabinet for a step to get up into the bed? I'm doing a north south bed over bike garage as well. Trying to figure out a good design to get up there. My girlfriend is on the shorter side. Looking great so far. Cheers

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Are your using the fridge cabinet for a step to get up into the bed?
39" bed height (xl 29" bike). In the attached photo, you can see we were using that bench as a step up (dirty footprints). It was a bit high even though we are both on the taller side.

I am building a closet where we previously stepped up. My goal is to build a box (blurple color) on undermount slides that goes up to the two future drawers. That may work for you too. You could even build a lower step into the box to make it easier for your special lady friend.

In the meantime, I'm going to make a step in that pass-through area. Just a 2x2 box tacked into the back of the bed face frame.

The closet thing is my big PITA project right now. That will have an area for our ski jackets and bibs to hang, two drawers, and a shelf that goes over the bench to foam blob. We're bringing our cats* with us for a few legs of our adventure this winter so I think I will finish that passthrough drawer/step project in the spring when I don't need space for a litter box and cat carrier.

Blue Wood Hardwood Machine Shelving

*Yes. Bringing cats in a van. It will be weird and will probably be gross, but we're just gonna send it. Hated leaving them behind for a few months last winter.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts