Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Thoughts on the Van Der Moon Box?

1921 Views 34 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  BobCollins
I have always imagined that I would build 8020 framed, bamboo-faced overhead cabinets. But I ran across these soft-ish cabinets from Poland and started to rethink that idea. I am seeing a lot of storage pockets inside and out, less head bumping above the bed (although I was thinking about only doing overheads above my feet), and a fast install.

I'd love to hear from folks who have real-world experience with overheads.

The only downside I could imagine would be using the zipper. Maybe not an issue for clothes you only access once in a while? The outside pockets don't seem very deep, even when the snap keepers are undone.

Brown Rectangle Luggage and bags Bag Magenta

Rectangle Textile Bag Trunk Luggage and bags

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
6,702 Posts
This is exactly how we do trips! We use these clothes wire storage bins which fit right in our upper cabinets. When we move around during the trip (e.g. hotel, friends' house etc.) we just take out the bin and voila, mini suitcase!
(y)
I would think it would be especially nice to be able to remove the entire container in layouts where they are over fixed rear bed. Seems like there are some pros and cons to using bins vs hanging the bags. Nothing to say you couldn't incorporate both styles. Depending on orientation of bed there seems to be a lot of options to choose that would optimise accessibility and reduce chances for of bumping heads on hard objects.

· Registered
6,702 Posts
The inside shelf looked a little flimsy in the videos, and it almost looked like it was coroplast
Dunno anything about these bags, but just wanted to point out that not all corrugated plastic is created equal.
Might be useful if considering using the stuff for whatever.
Corrugated Plastic sheets, panels, pads, rolls, Corrugated plastic sheeting, 2mm 3mm 4mm 6mm 8mm 10mm corrugated plastic sheeting, bins, single face corrugated plastic white clear plastic corrugated sheets

· Registered
6,702 Posts
Can confirm that we've purchased the coroplast stuff and Lexan panels from Home Depot. They are not even similar. The Lexan panels are amazingly strong and durable.
Well, that's an entirely different animal, polycarbonate vs polypropylene.

I'd love to get my hands on some of this Brushed Fabric Lamination - Coroplast® for a ceiling, but Coroplast (brand) stuff has very tightly controlled distribution to the point that even market segment are differentiated. 😖

· Registered
6,702 Posts
I made boxes out of coroplast and 1/4" plywood.
They are mostly coroplast (same stuff that mailtotes are made of)
The plywood is jut there for stiffening and to be able to bolt them to the walls.
They weigh about 2lbs each.
Can you post some photos, especially construction details.

· Registered
6,702 Posts
1 - 5 of 5 Posts