Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
From the review "When I loaded it up, it easily had room for a couple more pallets. And that was still behind the third row of seats, which are removable. As is the second row."

Hmmm. I hope that is correct.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Transit spaciousness does not apply to seating

I finally had the chance yesterday to crawl around inside a passenger Transit (medium roof -- on the lot of a local dealer)

Like many of you on this forum I have been looking forward to the availability of the Transit, but also taking in all the information on this forum so as to have a better chance of making a good decision and avoiding a bad one. It's not fun to spend a lot of money on a new vehicle and then come to the conclusion that it really does not meet your needs.

The driver seating and front passenger seating is the Transit is just fine. I prefer it to the competition. But it was only yesterday that I was able to sit in the seats of a passenger transit (wagon). It is worse than coach in a 737.

Just as with others here, I had hoped that the Transit would be a perfect compromise between a hauler of stuff and a hauler of people. It looks like it would be fine for stuff but very uncomfortable for people any larger than small children.

I found knee room to be completely inadequate for normal-size adults. I was imagining a fun trip with a several of my golfing buddies from my home in upstate New York to warmer climes for a week of golf in the winter. My friends would be cursing me and the van before we got to New Jersey. I just don't see how the rear seats are at all adequate for adults on any kind of extended road trip. They might be adequate for a five minute trip from the curb at the airport to an airport parking lot -- but that's about all I could stand.

This may be just one liability in a vehicle that I like so much in so many other respects, but this one liability is huge and a deal killer. I suppose I could spend a few thousand dollars at an upfitter getting proper rear passenger seats installed and throwing away the factory seats. Butt that is certainly not what I had in mind.

Removing some of the seats would help a little bit. It does appear that the rearmost seat has quick release mechanisms. I would have that seat removed most of the time in order to expand cargo area. But that would not address the cramped nature of the other passenger seats. For one thing, all of the passenger seatbacks seem to be raked forward in a fixed position that is uncomfortably upright. That may be okay for short-term shuttle service but but, again, not acceptable for a trip of any length.

The passenger seats ahead of the rearmost seat do seem to be removable – – with tools and time. But it looks like some metal mounting protrusion would stick out from the floor. Not sure about that. That would have to be confirmed from someone on this forum.

So – – I'm very disappointed. I'm going to have to go back and crawl around inside a Sprinter again. But even the lowest roof sprinter is a little taller than I would want. In the near-term I will probably settle on a late-model, low mileage GMC Savanah or Chevy Express -- with the all-wheel drive that I would prefer in any case. At least those vehicles would not be a torturous experience for my rear passengers.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PS:

My VW Vanagon, my VW Eurovan, (and my current GMC Safari van) all had much more comfortable seating for real passengers. Why did Ford make this much larger van and turnit into a sardine can for passengers?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I don't think very highly of this review. Are there really people out there wanting to purchase a Transit 8 or 10 passenger van that care about "burning rubber"at stoplights?
Give me a real world use of this vehicle, not some moron that wants to rev the engine to hear the turbo.

·
Registered
266 Posts
My guess is that Ford is targeting shuttle service providers with its wagon. I would think luxury seating is not a requirement for most shuttle operators. Rather, it would be moving a lot of people efficiently and safely.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
PS:

My VW Vanagon, my VW Eurovan, (and my current GMC Safari van) all had much more comfortable seating for real passengers. Why did Ford make this much larger van and turnit into a sardine can for passengers?
Thank you John for going into detail on the rear seating. I have been waiting to do exactly what you did -- test the full-scale model, and compare it with my old E-350 Club Wagon, on which I left the first bench seat behind the driver, and removed the back bench seat for tool chests and room for lumber, bulky items, etc.. Like a Crew Van with windows all around . . .

I take it from your Sprinter comments that you checked out the low roof Wagon? Which model was it, as the 8-passenger 130" WB model seems to have a first bench seat with 3 narrow seats (fitting your "take" ?), with a full-width 3-seat bench seat next, with much wider seat widths each, judging from the online photos. Is this what you saw?

I believe your guess about the middle bench seat remove-ability is correct, both as to using tools and time, and to some metal bracket left sticking up above the floor after seat removal. My old Club Wagon was like that, but I simply relieved my 3/4" ply floor to miss the brackets.

Epps said that during his "test fit" of the low roof Wagon bench seats, he found it cramped when moving from one bench seat to the other. Same for you?

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/ford-transit-general-discussion/3874-ford-transit-september-2014-sales.html

Come on Ford, get some 130" WB Wagons on Long Island NY!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wagon seating

It was a medium roof Wagon I looked at. Seats were leather.

Behind the two front buckets was a two person bench and a small one person seat next to that with an opening in between to the third full width row of seating. This single middle row seat had my shoulder pressed right up against the intertior side panel near the sliding door. Very uncomfortable.

I am reasonably tall but in the normal range. I am not wide in the seat. The passenger seats in this van are no place for men or growing tennagers -- or anyone who is 5'10" or more and 185lbs or more. My knees were hard against the seatbacks in front of me no matter where I sat in back.

And even if you are on the smaller side, the seatbacks are very upright and non-adjustable. I even think a child safety seat would have to be attached in a way that would leave it a bit too upright given the shallow depth of the seat bottoms.

Knee room was the #1 problem. I would be embarrassed to subject adult passengers to riding back there.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks John, I see now I missed the medium roof in your original post (in my haste to complete things before the 10-minute edit window closed). I am guessing that the seating arrangement you saw is indeed intended for shuttle use, although presumably the same bench seats (and knee room -- not) would appear in other configurations.

Your posts make it clear checking out the various Wagon models out in person is crucial.

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
My guess is that Ford is targeting shuttle service providers with its wagon. I would think luxury seating is not a requirement for most shuttle operators. Rather, it would be moving a lot of people efficiently and safely.
I use a lot of airport and hotel shuttle services and in most cases, whether wagon or cutaway, the driver seems to move from driver's seat to passenger area more often than average owners. They help with luggage or hand out parking location stubs, etc....

That's where I see a problem for the Transit unless they remove the passenger seat to improve interior mobility for the driver. For me as a prospective RVer the limited access to rear is disappointing.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Peter,

I should have been more clear in my original post.
The Transit Wagon I was looking at was a 10 passenger with the "aisle seating."

I suppose it is possible that the floor seat mounts in the eight passenger wagon might be a couple of inches further toward the rear in the eight passenger Wagon, to allow a bit more knee room for occupants of the two rows of bench seats. If that is the case that would be wonderful. I really want to like this van/wagon. I came away from my examination yesterday feeling sad over the disqualifying fact that the seating was so cramped.. Until I can find an eight passenger Wagon to sit in, I'm going to have to assume the worst.
Of course, one possible way to deal with this (though less than ideal) would be to remove the middle seat. That would give limousine-like leg room (and room for some luggage and other stuff) to the occupants of the third row (easily removable) seat. And then, on occasions when the Transit Wagon would be called upon to haul stuff rather than people, the one bench seat could be removed resulting in maximum cargo capacity.

That still does not resolve the question of what sticks up from the floor after the first row passenger seat is removed with tools. Looking forward to having someone on this forum answer that question definitively. Certainly don't look for an answer to that question from a salesperson at a Ford dealer. They would be the last to know.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wagon passenger seating

Moments ago I had this online chat with a Ford representative:

John says:
Recently I had the chance to closely examine the interior of a ten passenger Transit Wagon. I found knee room for rear passengers to be very tight
However, my interest is in an eight passenger Transit Wagon. Is there any chance that the separation between the seats in the eight passenger version is a bit more generous?

Bruce says:
I understand, John, and I have documented your feedback. The leg room will stay the same no matter the seating configuration.

John says:
Thanks for your response. Please pass on to your product development people that the tight knee room in the Transit Wagon will send away a lot of potential customers.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
Thanks John, as suspected the first bench seat probably goes a set distance behind the two front seats, regardless of seating configuration. My guess would be that the licensing of Wagons as passenger vehicles had to pass DOT etc. certification as to the location/design of the floor brackets, which for now can only go in one location.

In the 8-passenger Wagon, could you remove the first bench seat, and then move the palatial full-width (but still 3-person) bench seat up, by using the same floor brackets?

That would be too easy, simple and owner-friendly probably. Also, it is likely that this wider bench seat would hang over the foot well for passengers entering from the side door, likely another no-no . . .

The more I learn about this roll-out, the more I want to wait until the 2016 model year begins . . .

PS -- I have stopped calling my local Ford salesman, to save us both the embarrassment of acknowledging the information abyss . . .

·
Registered
52 Posts
Wagon cramped seating

Given the fact that there have been so few Transit Wagons available on dealer lots for first-hand inspection by potentially interested purchasers, I can understand why there have been so few comments and observations about the cramped and, in my opinion, very uncomfortable seating for rear passengers in the Transit Wagon.

But having had, finally, a recent opportunity to sit in every seat of a Transit Wagon, I think it is the big untold story on this forum.

One of the hoped-for benefits of a forum like this is that people at Ford will avail themselves of the opportunity to learn from it and make corrections accordingly.

As readers and contributors to this forum begin to have the opportunity to climb inside a Transit Wagon and make judgments about the quality of the passenger seats and seating space, I hope they will report their impressions here.

When I look at the interior photograph of an eight passenger Transit Wagon on the official Ford Transit website it appears to be very appealing and adequate in terms of passenger seating. But in a real-life examination it was hardly that. I will be interested to know what others think and hope that Ford pays attention if others come to the same conclusion as I

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
LOL, I took a peep at the comments section. A lot of the posts there are pretty terrible. :laugh:

·
Registered
215 Posts
Someone should post about seating or start another thread.

Now back on to topic. That's a hilarious video review and thanks for sharing the link. Best review so far.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
To the extent that comments on the poor seating undermine the ebullient cheerleader-ish review, they seem on-topic to these eyes, for what it's worth . . .

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
To the extent that comments on the poor seating undermine the ebullient cheerleader-ish review, they seem on-topic to these eyes, for what it's worth . . .
I'm not talking about this thread.

I'm talking about about the comments underneath the review.

It's a bunch of whining about how the Transit "doesn't stand up to the E-Series" or "f--- unibody" or "don't want no Eurocrap here" or "the E-Series can haul more" or "contractors/plumbers/etc. won't buy this" or "COSTCO? Let's see how that thing does with a REAL load" or "the POS is UGLY" or "Chevy has the last REAL van" or "this crap is made in Turkey," etc.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts