Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I was driving to work this morning I noticed a red light in my rear view that I had not seen before. Turns out, it looks like some small red lights are on inside my third brake light when I look at it from the inside. From the outside it looks off. Attached an image, sorry it's not great with the wiring in the way. Any ideas? I am converting the van to a camper and but I haven't touched any lights or wiring for months. View attachment 159530

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
While I was driving to work this morning I noticed a red light in my rear view that I had not seen before. Turns out, it looks like some small red lights are on inside my third brake light when I look at it from the inside. From the outside it looks off. Attached an image, sorry it's not great with the wiring in the way. Any ideas? I am converting the van to a camper and but I haven't touched any lights or wiring for months. View attachment 159530
I was assuming that might be the answer. And maybe it is. But they were bright enough to shine into my rear view mirror while driving which it never has done before in the 9 months I've been driving the van. Just have never seen it. Maybe that's the answer.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Check tonight and see if that is it.
I'm parked in the shade now and the lights are just as bright, but I plan to look tonight. Surely I'll feel silly if this is just daylight coming in. But in 9 months I've never noticed it.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming you don't see those lights when it is dark out, it is just ambient light from outside the van making its way through the brake light lens.
Ok, it's definitely not. There are definitely little red lights on. It's about to storm outside, it's dark and cloudy. The lights look even brighter in the darkness. Any ideas?

·
Registered
2021 HR Extended AWD Transit T-250
170 Posts
I just triple checked on mine. I see the same bright spots on the inside of brake light lens. If I hold my hand over the outside of the lens while looking at it from the inside, the intensity of the light changes dramatically. Another option is to throw a thick towel over the outside of the brake light lens and see if the lights are still as bright from inside the van.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I just triple checked on mine. I see the same bright spots on the inside of brake light lens. If I hold my hand over the outside of the lens while looking at it from the inside, the intensity of the light changes dramatically. Another option is to throw a thick towel over the outside of the brake light lens and see if the lights are still as bright from inside the van.
Thanks. You're right. I found a towel at work. Even with the dark clouds the light was bright but when I put the towel over them they were slightly less bright. Still weird that they were bright at all with them covered but it obviously made a difference. I feel stupid now. But never before had the red light shined in my eyes through the rear view mirror. Oh well. Maybe I can delete this unnecessary post.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
This will be good to leave here for the next person that notices this. Modern lenses are great at transmitting the slightest light.
Well, it’s almost dark and they are brighter than ever. It appears it is illuminated.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chalk it up to getting a lesson on how fiber optics work. ;)
So it’s about dark and they are lit it brightly. On the inside. They do get slightly less bright if we put a hand over them but it’s just the dark background they are now against. I had my son look and he agreed now that it’s about dark that they look lit up. So weird.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How about with a towel over the entire outside of the lens? Do you have street lights or porch lights close by?

Does the lens look illuminated from the outside at all if all other lights are off inside the van?
Ok. Uff. There’s a little light out there. But not a lot. But when we cover it with our hands completely it goes away. I give up and need to realize I’ve just somehow not seen this for 9 months.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts