Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
But instead of the 11 Transits that a major LA-area dealership lists on its website, none in stock. Not even the single diesel version included at the very end of the inventory list. The sales rep said he'd heard that some would-be customers had asked about the online inventory and he even looked on the showroom computer to see it for himself. He explained that the van won't really arrive until "late August or early September." He helpfully printed out a 20-page "proprietary" sheet dated 5/1/14 listing the various options that will eventually be available.

·
Registered
539 Posts
They usually do this just to generate leads, get people before others do, i see it all the time.

·
Registered
9 Posts
According to my understanding you can purchase listed vehicles if you put deposit down.
Mentioned vehicles will arrive at designated locations so you can finish tour transaction and take the delivery. Please notice that VIN numbers has been assigned so vehicles are in production process with futures as specified. Arrival time may remain unknown untill you actually see particular vehicle being unloaded. Dealer inventory refers to particular dealer, extended inventory includes other dealer locations usually in the same metropolitan area (dealers can easy transfer mentioned vehicles between their locations)
Extended dealer inventory dos not mean vehicles ordered by particular dealer in future as it was suggested in another post here. I ordered my vehicle after "building" it on Ford site, waiting now for VIN to be assigned to it and for actual arrival at the dealer lot.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The big LA dealer's representative called to update his Transit arrival estimate. It's now mid-July, not late August or early September like he'd mentioned. The most interesting things I saw on the proprietary options list were the availability of a flip-open sliding door window on the cargo van and a beefed-up alternator and dual batteries. And if you're a fleet buyer you can order vehicles that won't go faster than 65 mph.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm planning on it for sure.
Has anyone yet determined how the battery system will work?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Still do not know how the system will work. Did find that the HD battery option gets you AGM batteries instead of flooded batteries. That should be a benefit to those who are going to do a DIY conversion and want to connect the vehicle and house batteries together for charging with the alternator. I will not connect them together. I think a better way is to have two inverters. I use the Sprinter's 12 volt system to power a pure sine "vehicle" inverter so I have 120 volt power while driving. I use the 120 volt power to heat water or heat air or send "shore" power to "house" battery 3 stage charger. I will not be ordering the Transit 120 volt plug option because it does not have enough capacity to do what I want.

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm assuming that both AGM's will be optimized as starting batteries w/ plenty of cold cranking power, rather than an auxiliary deep cycle as the second. I'm still planning on an additional AGM inside the vehicle completely separate, but it sure would be nice if the dual set-up included a cut-off and a deep cycle variety as the second one.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Interesting discovery on the AGMs. Wonder if there is anything special about the charging, i.e. between the high output alternator and the batteries?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I often wondered about using LI-Ion batteries. They are expensive but they can last 10 times longer than regular AGM batteries. My power wheelchair uses AGM batteries. My insurance doesn't cover LI-Ion or I would try it. Do Amazon search for
Smart Battery SB100 - 12V 100AH Lithium Ion Battery

Couldn't get link working.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Interesting discovery on the AGMs. Wonder if there is anything special about the charging, i.e. between the high output alternator and the batteries?
Sales literature does say Transit has a "smart" charger whatever that means.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Sales literature does say Transit has a "smart" charger whatever that means.
Hmmm… Wouldn't that be nice if both batteries, or better yet, one of the van batteries plus another/different AGM house battery could be independently "smart" (three stage) charged, and handle stout AGM charging currents?

I know, waaay too much to hope for...

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Well if they're calling it "smart" we do expect more than the typical voltage regulator, right?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts