Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Background, I'm a 45 year old guy. I've done my fair share of oil changes over the years.

I've never experienced an oil change like I did when I unscrewed the oil filter on my 3.5L. I'd read some threads from other owners and had a 2-liter bottle with the top cut off and ready. Problem is, the motorcraft filter that was installed is almost the same diameter as the 2-liter so the oil just ran down the side of the bottle. There's no room to use a decent sized catch container under the filter. Remove the bottle and the oil hits frame members etc going everywhere. Why the **** did Ford put an approximately 1/2 to 1 quart reservoir above the filter? How are you supposed to remove the filter without wearing oil?
If I had an old fashioned oil can spout, I'd try that. I'd use a screwdriver to pierce the filter if I could guarantee it would shoot straight down into my catch can. lol

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
I did the baggie trick last time. It worked just fine but I hear ya, douchey design. My favorite was the RX 7. Filter sat right on top of the motor. Pop a hole in the top of it and by the time you finished your beer all the oil had drained down into the engine.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I've had many engines over the years that were just as bad or even worse.

Just be glad they haven't gone to the supremely irritating method of late model Toyota's - a replaceable cartridge that will make you wish for a spin on filter in any location.

On the 4.0L V6 you first unscrew a plug on the bottom of the plastic housing and insert a drain adapter that you have to have first put an appropriate size hose on...
Then you unscrew, often with some difficulty, a big plastic housing that takes a special socket to grasp properly- unlike a metal can filter that you don't care if you dent or crush it- this housing is used over and over so you better not damage it. Oh and if you bought a reasonably priced stamped sheet metal filter socket you'll find it slips and starts to round off the portion on that plastic housing it grips- so you'll eventually buy a much higher priced die cast aluminum filter socket.
After dropping the element out you have to replace a big (4"?) O-ring on that housing, and a smaller one on the drain plug.
Then you have to put it all back on being careful to not overtighten the plastic housing...which BTW you aren't likely to find at any autoparts store if you do mess it up.

Yep- give me a spin on filter in any spot or any orientation over that design.
And for the coup de grace the paper filter cartridge cost MORE than the same thing in a nice easy to swap metal can.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I stopped changing my own oil a long time ago. Hated the mess and getting rid of the old oil responsibly.

Anyone know if there is an upcharge for a Transit 3.5 vs a normal car oil change?

·
Registered
51 Posts
There shouldn't be an upcharge

I change oil for a living and can say the transit isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things it could be a lot worse.

If you are going to do your own oil change you might try getting the proper tool or making a cardboard trough to direct the oil where you want much like this tool:

http://www.formafunnel.com

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
I stopped changing my own oil a long time ago. Hated the mess and getting rid of the old oil responsibly.
No offense to Montanatransit-

I've always changed my own oil- but I drove company vehicles typically 50,000 miles a year for 30 years..so I've seen about 300 quicky/jiffy/speedy lube oil changes.
Never, ever, will they touch a vehicle of mine. I've had loose oil plugs, loose filters, underfills, overfills, and my pet peeve-
the guy lays the oil fill cap- internal side down, on all the grit and dirt on the radiator support- then puts it back on the engine without wiping the dirt off.
Of course if he didn't place it internal side down he wouldn't have to wipe it off..:mad:
Often the changer is a young guy with zero experience that was a burger flipper last week...

·
Registered
1,366 Posts

I've always changed my own oil- but I drove company vehicles typically 50,000 miles a year for 30 years..so I've seen about 300 quicky/jiffy/speedy lube oil changes.
Never, ever, will they touch a vehicle of mine. I've had loose oil plugs, loose filters, underfills, overfills, and my pet peeve-
the guy lays the oil fill cap- internal side down, on all the grit and dirt on the radiator support- then puts it back on the engine without wiping the dirt off.
Of course if he didn't place it internal side down he wouldn't have to wipe it off..:mad:
Often the changer is a young guy with zero experience that was a burger flipper last week...
I bought new tires and half hour later the jiffy lube place removed half my air in those tires because the sticker on the door said to.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Oh yeah had them do that to me too! Drive into the place after 50 miles on the freeway at 70 and they let the tires down to the COLD inflation pressure on the sticker

·
Registered
25 Posts
There shouldn't be an upcharge

I change oil for a living and can say the transit isn't that bad in the grand scheme of things it could be a lot worse.

If you are going to do your own oil change you might try getting the proper tool or making a cardboard trough to direct the oil where you want much like this tool:

http://www.formafunnel.com
Which form-a-funnel did you find works best for the Transit?
Thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
I was actually pleased with where the filter and plug was... not hard to get to at all however, I do agree with you the filter is a bit messy, I use a big pan and cardboard under that, I have done 5 oil changes already on mine. every 5K.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Would a disposable diaper wrapped around the filter while removing it contain most of the oil? I managed to get the pan in the proper location last oil change but then dropped the filter.

I have put over 1 million miles on two Chevy vans and did all the oil changes myself. The Chevys fit in my garage. This monster doesn't. I have replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto valve with a nipple. I connect a hose to the nipple for draining. This keeps the oil stream from blowing past the drain pan on windy days. It also is one less thing that a quickie oil change place can screw up should I ever decide to go that route for an oil change.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
There is at least half a quart lurking above the filter. The baggie trick works, diaper... maybe. Another tip is to cover the area below the filter and the ground with incontinence pads.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Guy walks up to the counter at an autoparts store
"Do you have Depends for a 2015 Ford Transit"
Guy on the other side of the counter just blinks a few times and stares back at him....

·
Registered
444 Posts

I do all the work on our cars and motorcycles. A few years ago I was on a business trip when my wife called telling me that she had car problems. I told her to call a local company to get it fixed. Next day my wife calls me and asks me if we needed the air filter replaced. The local company was trying to sell my wife a new filter that I had recently replaced. I told her no since the installed filter was new.
Almost 2 weeks later I get back from the business trip and my wife picks me up in her car. The moment we leave the airport I notice that there is a loud intake sound. I stop to check and find the air filter cover removed and the filter lying next to it and the air intake is wide open.
I still get upset when I think about it. For this reason I do everything myself. I never went back to that place to complain because I probably would flip out and hurt someone.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
Would a disposable diaper wrapped around the filter while removing it contain most of the oil? I managed to get the pan in the proper location last oil change but then dropped the filter.

I have put over 1 million miles on two Chevy vans and did all the oil changes myself. The Chevys fit in my garage. This monster doesn't. I have replaced the drain plug with a Fumoto valve with a nipple. I connect a hose to the nipple for draining. This keeps the oil stream from blowing past the drain pan on windy days. It also is one less thing that a quickie oil change place can screw up should I ever decide to go that route for an oil change.
Only if you used this kind:

https://youtu.be/iUP3PMLdoOs

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
Worst oil change, but not mine

When I had my previous vehicle, and could drive, I was in the local big box store lot and pulled up behind a vehicle exiting the lube & oil change area. Vehicle was starting to smoke as we pulled out onto the highway, headed for a long down grade. About a 1/4 of the way down saw it start dumping all the oil and the driver continued on, until, I guess either he noticed the smoke or the engine light came on, then he pulled over.

I pulled in behind and watched, then when he was done checking everything offered him a ride back up the hill.

Didn't have anything to do, so I parked out in the lot and read a book. Saw a tow truck bring the car back and a while later the vehicle leave again with a mechanic driving. After it returned, a short while later another driver (owner) drove out. I pulled out behind him and flagged him down at the light at the bottom of the hill. I asked if had been told if anything had happened? He advised no, I asked him if he saw the big oil slick up near the top of the hill, he had. I told him what I saw and gave him my info. He was p o 'ed and was headed back. Later called and advised he was now covered for any engine problems that might occur and thanked me.

Mechanics had just charged him for an oil change and never told him what had happened, and sent him on his way. :(

Semper Fi

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought new tires and half hour later the jiffy lube place removed half my air in those tires because the sticker on the door said to.
In California, the ARB actually requires that they tamper with your tire pressure:

"Automotive service providers must meet the regulation’s following requirements... Check and inflate each vehicle’s tires to the recommended tire pressure rating, with air or nitrogen, as appropriate, at the time of performing any automotive maintenance or repair service."

Plus the service place has to keep a record of it for 3 years.

I don't think the rule allows the owner to refuse. It's completely obnoxious.

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
So the law requires them to "check and inflate"....didn't say a thing about "check and deflate"..;)

1 - 20 of 131 Posts