Ford Transit USA Forum banner

61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
@DaveInSeattle how did you wire the compressor? Also, headliner leftover or what did you use? Sorry if I missed it. Thanks
The compressor is hardwired to my house batteries. I used headliner material from headliner magic. The color code is above somewhere.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I wanted to make a quick comment about your Quadvan list of work done. Number 3, the modified stock Transit hub is not quite the same as the European AWD hub, functionally identical but with different bearings. The European AWD hub bearings seem to have a low failure rate, John says about 2%. That happened on our transit on a long road trip, the problem was noticeable as a brake squeal which we thought could be a rock picked up on some dirt roads in South Dakota. We were passing through Yellowstone on Memorial Day weekend so there was no stopping for repairs. When we returned to Seattle and had it checked the diagnosis was the right front brakes were toast, rotor and pads. That was repaired but a road test determined there was still a squeal sound. That was when the hub bearing was determined to be shot, The dealer couldn't do the repair because there was no stock Transit 4WD drive hub, John was in Europe at the time but with a series of emails and phone calls Quadvan shipped a hub to the dealer and they did the repair. Because I was anxious to have the van I paid the bill rather than going through more phone calls and emails. I did send Quadvan a copy of the invoice.

A few months later I was at Quadvan having the shock mount shortened. They went through the front drive system and found the IWE was also bad, maybe not assembled right by the dealer when the hub was replaced. They replaced both IWE's, new hubs, and road tested everything. When it was time to leave my wife was going to write a check for the shock mount job. She asked how much and John said we are writing you a check. Quadvan paid the entire bill for the dealer repair work minus the charges for the shock mount work. I can only say that Quadvan stands by there work much more than I expected. Our local Ford dealer service manager who talked with them said they were good to work with.

John spent several thousand dollars to have a broach made to cut the splines in the stock Transit front hub. I did not understand the complete reason why but the bearings in the stock Transit hub are a better match for a 4WD system.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Flexible solar panels under mattress

I noticed in your equipment list that you planned on storing flexible solar panels under the mattress. I wanted to share my experience with doing that. I read of someone doing that (maybe in the Four Wheel Camper forum) and bought a Zamp flexible panel. I wanted a portable to stretch out with a cable when parked in shade. It only lasted a season before failing. When I called Zamp they were pretty surprised at my use and said they weren't designed for that -- only permanent mounting on roof (curved). Fortunately they did replace the flexible with a smaller rigid panel that I store on the roof that is easy to remove and set up.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Interesting. Do you know exactly what failed? I spoke to Renogy about their flexible panels, and they didn’t see any issue with putting them under a mattress and sleeping on top of them. I have 560 W of rigid panels on the roof already, so I’m not planning on doing the flexible panels until I determine if I really need them. It’s mainly the air-conditioner when boondocking.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Interesting. Do you know exactly what failed? I spoke to Renogy about their flexible panels, and they didn’t see any issue with putting them under a mattress and sleeping on top of them. I have 560 W of rigid panels on the roof already, so I’m not planning on doing the flexible panels until I determine if I really need them. It’s mainly the air-conditioner when boondocking.
The guy at Zamp told me that their flexible panel wasn't designed to be flexed beyond once or twice during installation. I sent it in and they confirmed that it was dead, but never gave me any more details about what failed. I was very gentle with mine and only pulled it out to use it about two times. It seemed like such a good idea to store a lightweight panel under the mattress. If Renogy is OK with it, you should be OK. It's nice to have a portable when your parking spot is in shade.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Oh, that makes sense. I was planning on mounting mine on a 1/8 inch sheet of plywood. There would be no flexing, just pressure.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Installed the Van Compass aluminum shelf today. Very spendy at $500, but lightweight and stiff at only 15 pounds. Covered with headliner, it looks OEM. The only mod I made from their instructions was to fabricate my own rear aluminum mounting brackets. The VC brackets tied into the headline, and as a result they rated the shelf for only 15 pounds. I'm planning on putting some face trim, a couple of speakers up there and storing our sleeping bags, so wanted a bit more capacity. With these brackets I'd say safe capacity is about 40 pounds.

The headliner is from Headliner Magic, color : 2075 Lt Graphite

This is BRILLIANT!

·
Registered
83 Posts
Dave, have you been able to make any headway with designing your bench seat/bed? I'm curious about how that will work out. I've been playing with the space in the non-extended as well and it is tough to fit seating for four, a toilet, and a bed that runs n-south.

Rather than a fold-up backrest to extend the bottom of the bed, I'm considering running the galley countertop across the van that would exactly match the height of the bed platform (without mattress). The bottom 24 or so inches of the bed would be two cushions that would rest on the counter top. When you need to open up counter space, you would just toss the two bottom cushions up on the bed. I got the idea from my Four Wheel camper (photos below). Rather than a countertop, the bottom of the bed slides out on two tracks.

For seating I'd add a two-person bench seat behind the driver's seat like @Inkog and others have done that would be safe for passengers and created a dinette area with the front seats. The composing toilet would mount sideways between the bench seat and bed platform.

Attachments

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
I haven’t posted much recently, but have made a fair amount of progress. Stereo install complete, walls and floor, upper cabinets built. I’m still going with the original design for the folding bench back. We want to maximize the living room floor area, which required the bench be where it is. We have a 4‘ x 4.5’ dance floor 🙂 I think your approach is also a great idea for maximizing space. I’ll try to get some pics up this week.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Discussion Starter #71
Just finished the audio upgrade. I LOVE clean sound, and LOUD on occasion.* We’ll be living in the van full-time, with much of that time stationary, so having good quality audio is a good investment for us. And I’m excited to finally be able to listen to WMA and FLAC files on the road. *

My van started with a 4.3” Sync 3 audio trim with tweeters in the pillars and rear speakers in the rear doors. Installation instructions would be different for different audio trim levels.

I installed a Pioneer head unit, Morel speakers front and rear, an Alpine amp, and a JL subwoofer.

Power for the amplifier and head unit come from the coach batteries, not from the van battery. The stereo draws about 4 A, and I didn’t want to be running down the van battery when parked for long periods of time.

The front speakers are installed in the factory locations.

The rear speakers are installed facing the rear on a Van Compass shelf over the cab. These are the primary speakers we’ll use for listening to music and watching TV while hanging out in back.

The amp is installed under the passenger seat.

The subwoofer is installed in a custom MDF/fiberglass subwoofer box in the right rear door.

The Maestro integration delivers tire pressure and other gauges to the head unit, which is nice.

My usual long blog post here: https://sunlightandtrees.com/blog/audio-upgrade

61 - 71 of 71 Posts