Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Work has begun on the van after receiving a van-full of parts over the past couple of weeks. Super exciting seeing this start to come together!

A little recap of the van I recently scored this month from a dealership whose customer who backed out:
  • 2022 350HD High Roof AWD EXT w/ Ecoboost
  • Agate Black Metallic - Yep I know this is a 'hot' issue around these parts. Sure is pretty though :love:
  • 11,000 GVWR (duallys), Silver steelies, HD Trailer Tow package, Trailer Brake Controller
  • Extended fuel tank 31 gallons, Engine block heater
  • 12" SYNC 4 with Intelligent Access Cruise Control, 360 camera, remote start, keypad
  • Dark pallazo cloth 10 way power heated seats, overhead shelf
  • power running board, 253 degree back doors
My initial goals for this build:
  • Will be using it a lot of day trips and some longer trips to ski, so needs to be insulated well
  • Need large garage space for skis and snowboards and boots organization
  • All plumbing will live in van to account for freezing temps
  • I want to fit bikes, especially my fat tire e-bikes in the garage, so a raised bed is a must
  • Extra storage space on roof rack and contemplating solar, but also want some decking so who knows
  • Full sized bed for my tall self, going N-S. Need a long garage anyways.
  • All electric galley setup, and my little camping stove for outside
  • No windows is my first thought, but possibly one or two arctic terns in the galley and slider. I don't think there will be enough room in the back for any windows after the bed is installed
  • Trying to avoid the "hallway" design with its tons of counter space and go for more of an open plan like a westfalia. I have two dogs and one is 100 pounds, so he needs space, and he's a total bed hog
  • possibly a bench in front of the bed to act as a step and a bed for the smaller dog
  • swivel on both seats as we would rather sit in the chairs then in bed
  • starlink or extra sim to enable me to work remotely on the road if I want to (current WFH)
It was hot as **** yesterday so I didn't take many progress pics but I did take some finished install photos. Definitely need to use towels and what not to not touch the roof of a black van on a day like that. I'll try to get more on my next go around. These installs have been covered pretty well by others already anyways..

Work I did this weekend:
  1. Flatline Van Co Low Pro Roof Rack for the 148 EXT
    • As some others have noted, attaching the side rails to the footings was quite tricky and definitely took the longest
    • The weather strip for the front fairing was kind of wonky and didn't install as cleanly as I would have liked
    • Fairing itself is well shaped and cleanly hugs the van curves
  2. Maxxair Roof Fan Vent - 7500 "smoke" model w/ remote
    • I used DIYVan's roof adapter, pretty straightforward install. 3M window weld and 1 inch butyl tape did the trick
    • I did use slightly longer screws as suggested by install instructions with adapter
  3. Installed fresh front bumper I received from dealership after they massacred the first one trying to put the license plate frame on completely wrong
    • Considering you have to dismantle quite a bit to replace the bumper cover, I was considering have the dealership install it, but since I would be replacing the grill anyways I just decided to pick it up and not leave my van with the dealership.
    • I now have a basically brand new extra bumper cover with a few holes in it, sweet
  4. Replaced chrome trimmed blue logo ford grill with the raptor styled all black grill :cool:
    • Very straightforward, only tricky part is carving out the holes for the front camera and sensor
    • I drilled an initial hole for each piece with a drill bit then used a dremel to get the size just right. The weird oval/square shape of the sensor makes it a little tricky so I just did a little at a time.
    • The old grill is for sale if anyone wants it
  5. Added Amazing Auto swivel seats for 10 way power seats 馃憣
    • These swivels are great. No issues installing whatsoever. The hole for the cable assembly is very large
    • They glide nice, swiveling is simple
    • For all the swivel seat/ power seat combo naysayers, these are the swivels you want. All I have to do is tilt the seat forwards a bit, pull the lever out of its locking position and freely rotate. Doesn't take any time at all.
    • My girlfriend and I are tall, so the added height is no issue for us. I prefer it.
    • I did have to trim about an inch from the door-side of each seats' plastic cover. Not a big deal, just need to smooth the edge so it doesn't look too DIY

Cheers 馃嵒

Registered
My initial goals for this build:
  • Extra storage space on roof rack and contemplating solar, but also want some decking so who knows
  • All electric galley setup, and my little camping stove for outside
  • No windows is my first thought, but possibly one or two arctic terns in the galley and slider. I don't think there will be enough room in the back for any windows after the bed is installed
  • possibly a bench in front of the bed to act as a step and a bed for the smaller dog
  • starlink or extra sim to enable me to work remotely on the road if I want to (current WFH)

Cheers 馃嵒
Nice Van! Mine is a 2020 10360 GVWR with much of the same equipment.

1) If you are doing an all electric galley (hot water and induction stove) I recomend doing solar. I have 600 Watts set inside a flatline van rack with 1 MaxAir fan, but I could install a second MaxAir fan .
Consider having AC power just inside the slider door, so you can set up your induction stove outside. I plan to use my induction stove on the fold down table that rest between the sliding door and against the outside galley.
2) A window in the sliding door helps to see more when pulling out. You are not always at a right angle, so it is helpful to see the traffic through that window.
3) The bench will be a needed as that 100 pounder gets older.
4) Also contemplating starlink. FYI- My WeBoost does not cut it.

Registered
Nice Van!
I also have a 2022 350HD All wheel drive dually. Love the grille on your van. Is that an actual Ford part number that I can get? If it is and you could share the part number, I would greatly appreciate it!
I am just in the initial stages of building out the van. Started on Kilmat and insulation. Putting the same roof rack you have on this week. As well as two Maxx Air fans. I also have four of the the Renogy, 100 watt solar panels going up there with a Coleman NDQ AC unit. I'll post some of my build as things progress. Thanks!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice Van!
I also have a 2022 350HD All wheel drive dually. Love the grille on your van. Is that an actual Ford part number that I can get? If it is and you could share the part number, I would greatly appreciate it!
I am just in the initial stages of building out the van. Started on Kilmat and insulation. Putting the same roof rack you have on this week. As well as two Maxx Air fans. I also have four of the the Renogy, 100 watt solar panels going up there with a Coleman NDQ AC unit. I'll post some of my build as things progress. Thanks!
Sweeet, good to see another 22 beast on the forum! I actually bought the grille from another forum member in the classifieds. But I believe it can be bought on freedomvango and probably some other sites. I don't think it is an official US Ford part I think it is from overseas.

I haven't decided on doing an AC unit or not yet but I may do a second maxxair if I feel it needs it down the road. The bunk area probably won't have windows on my build, so it might be needed. Are you putting any windows in? I see yours is full cargo as well.

I will have to start looking at solar layouts, how do plan on laying out your solar? I want to minimize wasted space up there if I do add them.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice Van! Mine is a 2020 10360 GVWR with much of the same equipment.

1) If you are doing an all electric galley (hot water and induction stove) I recomend doing solar. I have 600 Watts set inside a flatline van rack with 1 MaxAir fan, but I could install a second MaxAir fan .
Consider having AC power just inside the slider door, so you can set up your induction stove outside. I plan to use my induction stove on the fold down table that rest between the sliding door and against the outside galley.
2) A window in the sliding door helps to see more when pulling out. You are not always at a right angle, so it is helpful to see the traffic through that window.
3) The bench will be a needed as that 100 punder gets older.
4) Also contemplating starlink. FYI- My WeBoost does not cut it.
Yeah I am leaning towards solar now because I do want all electric. I just need to figure out how I'm going to lay it out. Getting panels on the sides of the maxxair fan would be ideal.

I think the only window for now will be in the slider. I am thinking arctic tern, but it would also be nice to have something I could open while driving...

Do you think WeBoost helps at all for cell signal or should I just skip it entirely?

Registered
Yeah I am leaning towards solar now because I do want all electric. I just need to figure out how I'm going to lay it out. Getting panels on the sides of the maxxair fan would be ideal.

I think the only window for now will be in the slider. I am thinking arctic tern, but it would also be nice to have something I could open while driving...

Do you think WeBoost helps at all for cell signal or should I just skip it entirely?
The WeeBoost does help but it is not significant. For the $500.00 price in my opinion it does not help enough. However, my build is still ongoing and I have bad reception at my build location. Once I am out on the road I will be able to say one way or the other with more confidence. Also, the dam thing did not come with a power switch, so you need to wire that up or just burn power all day and all night (the unit heats up so the power usage is enough to be concerned about).

If I could go back now I would add more ventilation to the back bed area. The window in my sliding door is vented, and my fan works fine, but the raised area of the bed gets stuffy.

Here is a pic of my solar set-up into my FVC rack. I inverted my mounting brackets, so my panels set lower into the rack and are not visable from the side. This is the older FVC rack before the upgraded fairing.
Plant Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Registered
2022 T350HD #11000 Avalanche Gray

Registered
R2C 148鈥, AWD, MR, Abyss,12鈥 Nav, Adventure
Nice vans on this post. I鈥檒l need to save it so I can see the progress of the projects. I have a 2022 cargo, Awd, mr 148 medium. My fist project is to install a plug for shore power. I ordered a 30 amp SmartPlug I let and cord. I鈥榤 seriously looking at the the 4 battery pack from Battle Born for $5800.

Registered
Sweeet, good to see another 22 beast on the forum! I actually bought the grille from another forum member in the classifieds. But I believe it can be bought on freedomvango and probably some other sites. I don't think it is an official US Ford part I think it is from overseas.

I haven't decided on doing an AC unit or not yet but I may do a second maxxair if I feel it needs it down the road. The bunk area probably won't have windows on my build, so it might be needed. Are you putting any windows in? I see yours is full cargo as well.

I will have to start looking at solar layouts, how do plan on laying out your solar? I want to minimize wasted space up there if I do add them.
Got the grille ordered today-Thanks!
I am putting four windows in. I ordered them a couple days ago from Motion windows. I will have a two passenger and three passenger seat available to mount as needed so I want the passengers to be able to see out. So one large window in the slider and one on drivers side as well as a bunk windows in the back on each side.
As far as solar I am putting four Renogy 100 watt panels on each side of the two MaxxAir fans with the Coleman NDQ in the middle bay. Exactly as shown in this video.

I had the van at LineX today and had the hood and painted surfaces on the front covered as well as the front part of the front fenders to cut down on paint dents and chips from road debris.
Unpacked my roof rack today and am hoping to get the Fans cut in this weekend as well as the roof rack installed. I also have the side ladder to install.
I am waiting on a combiner box to install the solar panels and WeBoost so wiring can all be brought down through the combiner box into the van. Never had a WeBoost before so maybe a waste of money? We'll see I guess.
Thanks again for the grille info. I will post some pics next week.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice vans on this post. I鈥檒l need to save it so I can see the progress of the projects. I have a 2022 cargo, Awd, mr 148 medium. My fist project is to install a plug for shore power. I ordered a 30 amp SmartPlug I let and cord. I鈥榤 seriously looking at the the 4 battery pack from Battle Born for $5800.
Yeah I am thinking battleborn as well just because of how popular and well liked they seem to be. But there seem to be some cheaper options out there so I haven't really made up my mind. The price of AGM is tempting but they are just so stupid heavy it's ridiculous.

Registered
What do you get for $5800?
I'm using SOK batteries in my build. They are very nice.

Registered
R2C 148鈥, AWD, MR, Abyss,12鈥 Nav, Adventure
What do you get for $5800?
I'm using SOK batteries in my build. They are very nice.
4 100 amp batteries, 3000w inverter/charger, dc to dc, solar charger, battery monitor. Components are Victron. It comes as a kit so they all work together. They also get good reviews

Registered
4 100 amp batteries, 3000w inverter/charger, dc to dc, solar charger, battery monitor. Components are Victron. It comes as a kit so they all work together. They also get good reviews
BattleBorn batteries ARE extremely good products, but they are HIDEOUSLY expensive for what you get. There's a lot of other battery brands (SOK being one of many) that will give you vastly more capacity for 1/3rd of the price.

And if you really want to go nuts, you can make your own batteries pretty easily by buying the raw cells and a BMS and assembling it yourself. You can get 4x 280ah 3.2v cells for ~$600, a BMS and a box and bus bars for another $100, throw it together and you've got yourself a 280ah lithium battery for around $700. Or go crazy and start building 24 or 48v packs with a bunch of them, there's some lunatic floating around here who's got like 20kw of cells in his van (@Van Gogh).

The "DIY Solar" channel on youtube has lots of instructions, as well as reviews/teardowns of different brands of batteries to find the good and bad ones. Channel here: https://www.youtube.com/c/WillProwse

Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van

Registered
nothing yet, but planning on an EV van

Registered
1 - 20 of 42 Posts