Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I just drove a 3.7 medium roof cargo yesterday at Walnut Creek Ford. Very pleased with the ride, fit and finish.

Ultimately planning on picking up a high roof diesel cargo or wagon.

I have never owned a diesel vehicle, plan on putting 25-30k per year. I estimate my split between highway and city to be around 70/30.

Going through some trepidation on the diesel, reading about issues with modern diesels...

Wish that Ford offered a crew version, I need one bench seat behind the drivers to have my 2 year old daughter ride with me AND haul cargo.

So, it's either buy the wagon and take out the extra seats and spend time and money sourcing window covers so they don't get broken by cargo... cost approximately $3500.

Or, buy the cargo and take it to an aftermarket van/rv shop to get a bench seat installed...cost approximately $1200.

·
Registered
640 Posts
How was the 3.7L, if you drove from a dealer, you where on the open road?
Other people reaction when they saw it driving, its not a econoline

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 3.7l was decent, certainly had some get up and go, but you knew it was a 6 for sure.

I wound it up a couple of times and it moved good. Of course unloaded.

Cabin visibility was excellent. Suspension felt stiff and responsive but not overly harsh. I was very pleased with the ride.

Took it on some 35mph roads then the highway. No complaints.

Noticed a few people checking it out, but my focus was more on the driving experience.

·
Registered
65 Posts
You can source seats at the van conversion shops who do the wheel chair mods. They end up with allot of new bench seats, buckets etc from all models including the seat belts. They are quite reasonable in price too as there is not much of a market for these bench seats.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
I've got the same issues need an extra seat but not all the rows. I'm just going to get the wagon and deal with trashing the interior.
I think Ford will offer the crew by this fall. Ford needs to get the Transit out to the fleet buyers first then they can add options once the dealer inventory is getting close to 60 days.
Todd

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Van Man, yes it was white. I'll order an Ingot Silver.

Mojogoat,

Thanks for the tip.

Todd
I still might go with the wagon, although I certainly wish that a straight up crew version was available now.

Cost wise the one element that sort of equalizes the Cargo and Wagon option is the difference in finance rates. The Cargo has to go through a commercial vehicle loan, whereas the Wagon is consumer. My understanding at this point is that there is about a 3% spread between the two with the Wagon being lower....

·
Registered
266 Posts
I also need an extra seat or two for the occasional guest. But want a roomy open interior when it's just me and my wife out for a few days.

However, as I also want a driver-side sliding door that rules out the wagon. Plus I'll gain a few extra inches on interior height with the van. Trying to stay with a medium roof.

·
Premium Member
145 Posts
My plan would be to have E track along the walls. This would give me endless options for hauling all my stuff.

Brad
I buildt one with all glass and a slider in the low roof.

I like the mid roof but it won't fit the the garage. I put an 8' door in I guess it should have been 10' :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I built my 30' X 30' X 10' 25 years ago.
Never would have thunk to put in taller than 7' doors.
Oh well.

·
Registered
185 Posts
8' high garage doors have been somewhat common in new homes for some time, especially in suburbia. In a way I think Ford made a mistake with the medium roof model. Had they made it just under 8' like my current E-series conversion van, I think it would have broadened the market. Conversion vans used to be huge sellers, but fuel costs, price, lack of refinement, and too many small players have probably squelched demand. Lowering the mid roof by 4" also would have evened out the steps in height to 14" low to mid and from mid to high.
Having a 9' door though, the mid roof works for me. The low roof doesn't work at all for handicap in a power wheelchair. I understand the motivation to keep it under 7', but they should have figured out how to squeak out a couple extra inches of door and interior height. It was/is always too close to 48" making it difficult to load sheet goods standing up.
Still, I'm very glad Ford offered something in the middle. It hasn't got much positive reaction with the RV crowd, but it could become the modern day luxury conversion van for those who can't afford a tricked out Sprinter. I see lots of dealers ordering them.

·
Registered
640 Posts
I feel that FORD designed it as a commercial vehicle,that was not to parked in a "home" garage.
The Transit-connect is for that,or the low roof model.
I am very pleased with the fact that I can stand up (I am 6.0) in the mid-roof cargo
I see no mistake
How many Sprinters get parked in the garage @ home?

·
Registered
640 Posts
I have, I fit, so maybe I am not excatly 6.0
I walked around in a LWB-mid roof cargo weldment in Nov. 2012
(with shop shoes on)
I will not be dancing, but a 1000% better than a Econoline or Express

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Being 6'3", I had to hunch a bit. Thought about going for the mid roof anyways, but know that I would regret that decision as I would constantly wish that my roof was a couple of inches taller.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts
The weldment was what I measured at the LA Auto show. Top of corrugated steel floor rib to bottom of roof rib at the van centerline. Less height at the sides of the van. Less height if you add any flooring or ceiling paneling.

I also wanted the medium height roof but at 5'-10" with a 1 1/2" thick composite floor and a 5/16" thick ceiling panel, I would not clear. So It has to be a tall for my application.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Dodge Prolapser:
Can I ask the story behind your forum name
Most people here know I don't like Ducato's
Van Man,
Not much of a story, merely thought it was funny. I seriously contemplated a Promaster, the price being the biggest point of attraction. I quickly dismissed my interest based on the multitude of issues many owners are having.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts