Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Stainless Steel body, does that mean it is going to be like the model T? Available in any color as long as it is Stainless Steel silver?
Tailgate ramp would be cool if you needed to drive something into the bed.
You can keep the ghetto hubcap fads.
Not sure about the power bed cover? I have one I put on once or twice a year, a trifold. Would not want to spend extra to be lazy. But if you are using it for mall and grocery assault it might come in handy?

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
I'm not saying these are great things, I'm saying that you'll soon see them on other pickups, and maybe cars. The built in bed ramp is cool, though. Getting a refrigerator on a dolly into the bed would be a lot easier. I have ramps for that for my van, but you wouldn't need to haul them around.

Stainless can be painted, but why? Maybe composite panels with a phenolic outer skin would be more practical and cheaper to make. Or just plain old rust loving thin steel sheetmetal like we already have, except with a layer of something inside to make them rigid and resistant to dents.

I think 95% of non-commercial pickups are used just to expedite groceries, and for expeditions to the mall.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I'm not saying these are great things, I'm saying that you'll soon see them on other pickups, and maybe cars. The built in bed ramp is cool, though. Getting a refrigerator on a dolly into the bed would be a lot easier. I have ramps for that for my van, but you wouldn't need to haul them around.

Stainless can be painted, but why? Maybe composite panels with a phenolic outer skin would be more practical and cheaper to make. Or just plain old rust loving thin steel sheetmetal like we already have, except with a layer of something inside to make them rigid and resistant to dents.

I think 95% of non-commercial pickups are used just to expedite groceries, and for expeditions to the mall.
No one ever took up building stainless steel cars like the Delorian did. I think it will remain a niche, people like their cars and trucks to be colored, at least I do. What is going to happen when their is a large parking lot with many look a like cybertrucks? Good luck finding yours, maybe the fob will help, but still you will have no identity, just another stainless truck. My truck color is Lightning Blue, I would not want them all to be that color.

We already have aluminum pickup trucks, and they are more dent resistant than steel. Even GM has an aluminum cab on their trucks, but the bed is still, easy rust steel. At least that is the last I heard.

I guess you live on a different planet, because where I am, the percentage of grocery getter pickups is much lower, I see plenty of cars and SUVS shopping, but few pickups, unless you go to a contractor supply, etc.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Blending in and being anonymous is my jam. Old Russian proverb; the nail that sticks up gets hammered down. The white van seems to do the trick of meeting most of my transport needs while not sticking out like a Kardashian's plastic surgery lips (and other ass-ets).

The aluminum panel trucks seem to be a big improvement on steel, it's probably thicker. The different strengths and weaknesses of steel vs aluminum make steel more practical for the bed; steel bends, aluminum breaks microscopically and eventually fails; unless it's so thick it doesn't bend. Maybe stainless in the bed?

Oh yeah, the VAST majority of cars at the store are...cars...and SUVs, I'm just talking about the pickups that are personal vehicles, not commercial trucks or work trucks. Most of the pickups I see are loaded with landscaping stuff and have a sign on the door, or have a lumber rack, and a sign on the door. The ones that are personal vehicles have unscratched beds that have probably never seen anything heavier than a cooler and two camp chairs. But I live in an urban area now, when I lived in rural OR and CO most of the the pickups were beat to F and used for the purposes they were intended for. Here they are just fashion statements, decorated with fancy rims and "accessories" like rolling store displays.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I think the aluminum is thin on the Ford body? Dont look all that thick on mine, but it is a military grade alloy that makes it super strong, even stronger than steel.
Claimed to be hail proof as well.
When I exit the car wash, the blower at the end causes the hood to flex.
Make sense why you see more mall assault pickups, living in an urban area.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
So THIS is how they ostensibly complied with the law. I don't think cameras have officially been approved as replacements for mirrors yet, though.

·
Registered
957 Posts
The F150 is going to have a Frunk.

·
Registered
5,070 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I think all the EVs have frunks. Without that massive gas-burning engine and all the fluid tanks and hoses it needs to survive, there's a lot of leftover room.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts