Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, when I first saw it I thought it was a joke and ol' Elon was going to bring out something else and say "gotcha".
That wasn't the case, and oddly, the design is growing on me.

The base model price is right in line with F-150 with similar equipment. I can't find any info on how much the electric F-150 is going to cost.

As for sales, they already have almost 300,000 pre-orders at $100 deposit each. And for those troglodytes that want all pickups to look exactly like they did in 1970 forever (vans, too), here's something that is making Merikuns salivate over the weird looking CyberTruck: It's HUGE. People who have seen it in person on the road or plugged in the specs for virtual reality to see how it would look in their garage have said it's "massive" and "won't fit in a normal garage". If there's something Merikuns love about a vehicle enough to go into home foreclosure to buy, it's size. The production vehicle might be a bit smaller, but I doubt it. It WILL have real headlights as required by DOT, though.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Not much room for a bed...

Or at the very least I'd have trouble standing up inside.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Its just a grocery getter, for Merikans that are smug with a stick up their butt, and think they are better than everyone else. That POS is going to be useless for work or range. Maybe Tesla will make a proprietary $40K electric work trailer for it, so it don't have to actually pull a load. Forget about a cross country trip towing a camper. Good thing it is in Cali, because it won't go very far in the snow, cold, mountainous regions, snow plowing, etc. And yeah, the bed on it looks useless, a whopping 4' long.

I would go with the electric F150, at least there are plenty of dealers to support it, if you think finding Sprinter dealers was hard to do, wait until you start looking for a Tesla dealer.

At least the second picture is appropriate, on the freeway or around town, not doing anything more than a car can do.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes Sprinter Owner, the CybrerTruck is not for YOU.
But for 98% of Merikun pickup owners it does everything their current pickup does for them right now. Most people don't drive 500 miles in a day, but if they do, they'll need a gas/diesel pickup, or be willing to stop and eat and pee during the half hour while they charge up again (80%; 400 miles). It's not going to be too good for piling 15' tall stacks of hay bales in, either, so it probably won't be popular in Farm Country or the Navajo Res.
AND it is an attention ***** with big tires and big power. Too bad it's not more expensive, because as-is it won't impress people who are impressed by expensive things (many Ford pickups are over $60k now, and have the badges on the side/rear so everyone knows it's one of the expensive ones). I think you're wrong about it's frailty in the snow and mud, though. 4wd + huge size + real heavy = good in snow. The bed is actually like most doublecab full size pickups, about 6' long and able to haul a fully supported 4x8 sheet of ply with the tailgate down. Still, you're not going to get a whole unit in there because the C pillar frame starts getting narrower above the bed. You might get a 2' tall stack of drywall or ply at best.

The CyberTruck is also not for ME. It's more than I'd spend on a truck, and it's an attention ***** that would attract attention I don't want or need (My T1n Sprinter was bad enough, I'd have to answer questions every time I was in a parking lot; I finally printed out the whole story and just handed people a piece of paper). It's also kind of awkward to use the pickup bed except from the tailgate. And I have zero need for two rows of seats in a pickup.

Give me the CyberTruck in a cab and chassis version with a flatbed or utility bed and I'm more likely to buy as a work truck. Actually, I like the "best guess" renderings that made it look like a downscaled Tesla semi. But the Neuron pickup is also coming, as is the Rivian. The Atlis pickup looks like a good EV pickup for us working class idiots with callused hands: https://www.atlismotorvehicles.com/xt-truck . The EV F-150? meh. Same for the GM EV pickup.

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thinking about the Atlis truck, I'm not sure why they have that big square hood yet no big square engine underneath it. All it does is reduce road visibility. Maybe it's so it can have a bigger storage trunk in front?

It's not like they need a square tall front for a radiator, and the batteries and motor should only take up half the space of a gas engine and fuel tank. Besides, the batteries would be low and centered in the chassis to improve handling, not stacked up under the hood.

·
Registered
716 Posts
Thinking about the Atlis truck, I'm not sure why they have that big square hood yet no big square engine underneath it. All it does is reduce road visibility. Maybe it's so it can have a bigger storage trunk in front?
View attachment 130991

It's not like they need a square tall front for a radiator, and the batteries and motor should only take up half the space of a gas engine and fuel tank. Besides, the batteries would be low and centered in the chassis to improve handling, not stacked up under the hood.
These designs were conceived with the intention of placement in the next Transformers movie.

·
Registered
645 Posts
As the daily driver of a “regular” car, I just hope new headlight regulations come out limiting the height of LED (or other) low beams to 3’ off the ground (factory AND aftermarket). Either that or I hope I can get my aim-able roof-mounted retina-burning laser light mounted so I can start inflicting reciprocal eye damage on the drivers of these “apocalypse” trucks. It’s bad enough sitting high in my Transit, it’s intolerable from the seat of my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Yes Sprinter Owner, the CybrerTruck is not for YOU.
But for 98% of Merikun pickup owners it does everything their current pickup does for them right now. Most people don't drive 500 miles in a day, but if they do, they'll need a gas/diesel pickup, or be willing to stop and eat and pee during the half hour while they charge up again (80%; 400 miles). It's not going to be too good for piling 15' tall stacks of hay bales in, either, so it probably won't be popular in Farm Country or the Navajo Res.
AND it is an attention * with big tires and big power. Too bad it's not more expensive, because as-is it won't impress people who are impressed by expensive things (many Ford pickups are over $60k now, and have the badges on the side/rear so everyone knows it's one of the expensive ones). I think you're wrong about it's frailty in the snow and mud, though. 4wd + huge size + real heavy = good in snow. The bed is actually like most doublecab full size pickups, about 6' long and able to haul a fully supported 4x8 sheet of ply with the tailgate down. Still, you're not going to get a whole unit in there because the C pillar frame starts getting narrower above the bed. You might get a 2' tall stack of drywall or ply at best.

The CyberTruck is also not for ME. It's more than I'd spend on a truck, and it's an attention * that would attract attention I don't want or need (My T1n Sprinter was bad enough, I'd have to answer questions every time I was in a parking lot; I finally printed out the whole story and just handed people a piece of paper). It's also kind of awkward to use the pickup bed except from the tailgate. And I have zero need for two rows of seats in a pickup.

Give me the CyberTruck in a cab and chassis version with a flatbed or utility bed and I'm more likely to buy as a work truck. Actually, I like the "best guess" renderings that made it look like a downscaled Tesla semi. But the Neuron pickup is also coming, as is the Rivian. The Atlis pickup looks like a good EV pickup for us working class idiots with callused hands: Atlis Motor Vehicles - XT Pickup Truck . The EV F-150? meh. Same for the GM EV pickup.
I am not sure where you come off with such a BS number like 98%? You must live in la la land where no one works. Using your analogy all the Transits are used for stealth campers, when in reality the largest percent is used for commercial applications. OTOH, nothing in California surprises me.

My PU cost about $40K, I like vinyl under my feet, after all, it is a truck. It takes more energy to drive through snow, or off road, not to mention cold weather battery losses, so you are wrong. Don't worry about fitting a load in that CarTruck, because no one that actually works is going to buy one, at least not more then can be counted on a couple of hands. You might get a few fly by nights that wear a gold chain and a wife beater trying to look cool. The rest are going to be non working conceited pricks with a stick up their butt thinking they are better than everyone else.

And what about the suspension, will it even hold any type of load? Another thing, with all that flat metal, I am surprised that they did not put some solar panels on that truck to keep up the range?

Got a few questions about my Sprinter and Transit, and a few compliments on my Lightning Blue PU, but they were never that popular. Most NCV3 Sprinter owners just complained about frequent and expensive repeat repairs, when we talked about our vans.

I am sure a Cybertruck would we fine for your climate, and the work you do, you should go for it, and put your money where your mouth is.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
View attachment 130991

Another dedicated grocery getter, coal burning truck with limited range.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
As the daily driver of a “regular” car, I just hope new headlight regulations come out limiting the height of LED (or other) low beams to 3’ off the ground (factory AND aftermarket). Either that or I hope I can get my aim-able roof-mounted retina-burning laser light mounted so I can start inflicting reciprocal eye damage on the drivers of these “apocalypse” trucks. It’s bad enough sitting high in my Transit, it’s intolerable from the seat of my car.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
That's funny, I usually have to keep my hand on the high beam switch, to be ready for an approaching vehicle that high beams me. I have my fogs in bambi mode, and I hold the stick so that they get the high and low beams combined. :LOL:

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
For the tailgater with their highbeams on, I adjust my side and rear mirrors to send it directly back at them. On my pickups I always installed rear work lights, and I would turn those on.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
For the tailgater with their highbeams on, I adjust my side and rear mirrors to send it directly back at them. On my pickups I always installed rear work lights, and I would turn those on.
Well Bill, I don't follow with high beams on. But I will high beam someone that beams me when my lows are on. Plenty of cars have bright lights with their high beams off, not just PU trucks.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts

·
Registered
5,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I don't understand; why can't they go very far or over the rockies etc?
I get it about the camp trailer, hardly any camp trailer is going to go down a rough dirt road unless built for that purpose. I also do not camp in campgrounds if at all possible, but the vast majority of people with trailers do.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I don't understand; why can't they go very far or over the rockies etc?
I get it about the camp trailer, hardly any camp trailer is going to go down a rough dirt road unless built for that purpose. I also do not camp in campgrounds if at all possible, but the vast majority of people with trailers do.
Because any vehicle uses more fuel, towing, mountain climbing, winter temps, driving in snow, off road etc. You won't see the 500 mile estimated range in varying situations. Best to wait until it comes out and see how it does?

Go take a ride through West Virginia towing a trailer, that would be hard on the batteries.

I don't have a camper either, been roughing it in vacation rentals over the past few years.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts