Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I have a telescoping ladder I purchased for accessing my roof as I wanted to be able to move around. I'd rather not store in inside and take up the precious interior space. Any ideas how I could store it outside the van? I don't have a roof rack and want to make sure it doesn't get in the way of opening the doors or anything. I know people on here are creative so I appreciate the input!!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I've been strapping mine to one side of the "garage". I think I'll make a couple hooks and hang it from the same side of the garage. It will be faster than messing with straps.

PS. If you did put your ladder on your roof, how would you get it?

·
Registered
837 Posts
Mine rides inside, under the bed just inside the driver back door. Without drilling holes through the body I don't know where else it could go. We use it several times at each stop, so it needs to be easy to access. It really doesn't take much space.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I do not have the garage bed setup most people run so I would like to avoid putting it in the van. I have a full sized spare with oversized tires so I don’t want to hang it below the tire as one person suggest since my tire already hangs down a bit.

Wondering if there’s any no drill way to mount to my rear door outside

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
There's a ton of space under the van. You can probably even use existing holes somewhere for attaching it.

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
Mybe bite the bullet and drill a few holes to put some sort of Rotopax mount on the back, they are available in locking mounts.

or one of these OwlVan multipurpose racks, which may or may not only mount to the hinge locations:

·
Registered
131 Posts
The big downside to that setup is that it loses the ability to fully open the door, but as always, it's a design compromise where you have to sacrifice something to get what you want.
@surly Bill, Do you want to add the ability to carry more water or gas? (I'm curious)

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
The big downside to that setup is that it loses the ability to fully open the door, but as always, it's a design compromise where you have to sacrifice something to get what you want.
@surly Bill, Do you want to add the ability to carry more water or gas? (I'm curious)
The flat rack thing would allow full opening (I'd put it on the driver side) if the stuff on it were removed.

Do I want to carry more water or gas? Don't really ever need to. But if I were to carry emergency gas, it would likely be a rotopax style 2gal on the back door. Water is safe and easy to carry inside.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Mybe bite the bullet and drill a few holes to put some sort of Rotopax mount on the back, they are available in locking mounts.

or one of these OwlVan multipurpose racks, which may or may not only mount to the hinge locations:

View attachment 135744
I would consider one of the Rotopax mounts, is there any issue with weight bearing on the rear doors? I thought I saw threads about failure for some of the tire mounts that were just hanging on the metal face of the door rather than attached to the door hinge. I think the ladder weighs less than a tire but wouldn't want to risk the damage if it's too much weight

·
Registered
5,961 Posts
If I were to mount anything to my back door sheet metal, I'd have a nice large backing plate on the inside of the door, not just washers.

And regarding clearance, there's a LOT of clearance on a fully open door when it hits the stops on the side of the van. Easily 6" for much of it. Take a look and test-fit before deciding on a location.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts