Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found a pop tent tall enough to clear medium roof (2018) rear doors?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Like the thing to the left of my transit. 20190619_103621_1566850515379.jpg They are often 10x10, collapsible frame, with cover.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm looking for something portable so I can work with the back doors open when it's raining.

My DIY solution doesn't work well in the wind.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Very cool I've seen that one before. However I need a pop tent that I can leave on site and I need rain protection for my rear doors and I'm trying to find 1 unit that does both.

The problem with most of the pop tents is that the legs aren't long enough to clear the taller Transit doors, just wondering if anyone has found a pop tent with abnormally long legs

·
Registered
211 Posts
Very cool I've seen that one before. However I need a pop tent that I can leave on site and I need rain protection for my rear doors and I'm trying to find 1 unit that does both.

The problem with most of the pop tents is that the legs aren't long enough to clear the taller Transit doors, just wondering if anyone has found a pop tent with abnormally long legs
Probably going to need to attach extensions to the legs. Will make it less compactible, but that's probably not an issue.

·
Registered
5,235 Posts
Sturdy extensions:

Take off the feet on the pop-up tent
Purchase PVC or ABS pipe that slides onto the legs tightly
Cut into 5' lengths
Measure the needed additional height to clear the roof/doors
Drill hole through PVC/ABS and install a bolt as a stop for the pop-up legs at the height needed to clear roof/doors
*additional pipe above the stop provides lateral support and should be sufficient without attaching to the pop-up legs
** depending on pop-up leg design a shorter piece of pipe might be needed

A little bit nicer:
Add end caps to the bottom of the extensions
Drill hole through both the pipe and the pop-up leg when in place and use a bolt and wingnut to make it even sturdier (or two per leg!) and so it doesn't blow up and out of the extensions in the wind
Drill holes every inch or two for the "stop" bolt so the height is somewhat adjustable for sloped terrain (driveway) or uneven ground.

Money is not a consideration:
Get aluminum square tubing of the correct size to use instead of PVC/ABS pipe

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awesome ideas, thanks

1 - 11 of 11 Posts