Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I have a 2020 Transit with 8” SYNC screen that I’m converting to a camper, and last week the audio died on me. I can’t turn audio on with either the touchscreen or the button, and the tile is grayed out as if it’s not an option. Everything else works fine. System and master resets haven’t helped. Does anyone have any advice or experience with this?

Some context that may be helpful:
The weather was well below freezing when this happened, and I had a ceramic heater running to keep warm inside while I put some flooring down. I have a lot of insulation so the body was nice and comfortable, but noticed a lot of condensation dripping (and then freezing) out the wheel wells and presumably other places. I hoped that when the weather thawed out it would miraculously fix itself but no such luck this week 🥶

·
Registered
204 Posts
Hmm. No expert but
1. reset the sync / radio to factory settings
2. Be sure no usb or audio connections (including android or apple auto
3. reset power
3a check fuses, especially if you ran heater off inverter
3b check near heater was for heat or amp draw damage
4. It is under warranty, but before you bring it in
5. check you did not unplug something, even if not near the radio
6. Confirm no drilling damage or mods before bringing in

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
jkashii,

I seem to recall from earlier models, disconnect the battery, wait a couple and reconnect. It will then reset.
Don't know if this will work with your model but worth a try.

Good Luck

Semper Fi

EDIT - found this Thread

Reactions: jkashii and gmoneda

·
Registered
2018 Transit 250 SRW HR EXL 3.7L 4.10R Dual AGM
92 Posts
You might have an ACM (audio control module) communication error or internal failure of the ACM. I'd have a dealership tech get ahold of it, they can get you fixed up real quick. Don't be surprised if the replacement parts are expensive unfortunately. Luckily it shouldn't require much labor time to diag and repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey all -- I appreciate the great ideas!

I did do both resets offered in the sync module, I forgot what they're called but basically both a soft and hard reset. Also tried doing the force reset (hold power + Right seek button for a few seconds). No luck. Confirmed no USB connections or paired devices. The only drilling was through the roof for a vent, and I haven't made any mods or draws to the electrical system (and the heater was connected via extension cord to my house), but I did stuff thinsulate in the doors, which required disconnecting then reconnecting the speakers... but everything seemed to work fine for a few weeks after that. Possibly something was jostled loose, or more worryingly I shorted something with all the condensation from running the external heater. I'll go into the dealer on Wednesday, but before that I want to check the fuses and try the battery disconnect idea.

It seems like the fuses I want are on the body control module, #32 (radio) or #15 (Sync 3). Unfortunately, I can't seem to find an easy way to get into there. I've popped the panels off behind the left cup holder and under the steering wheel and I still can't see anything... Maybe battery disconnect is easier.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I didn't end up getting into the fuses or battery, but made it into the dealer service shop today. The tech confirmed cosmicjumper's suspicion: The ACM failed. They couldn't determine why, and didn't see any signs of damage, so think it was just a "bad part". New one coming in next week... thankfully it's still under warranty.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts