Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been unable to get the software to upgrade, the owners site says that one is available and that I am due for the driveshaft recall. I have exhausted my internet searching ablities and would like to know if anyone has successfully updated their software. Wifi does not work. The USB attempts have all failed with a "ran out of space or wrong version" error. I chatted with Ford directly and they said that it must be a USB 2.0, downloaded with Chrome and on a FATex formatted 2.0 USB drive with at least 6GB of space.

I was trying the upgrade by using a micro sd card with a USB adapter, but found an older USB 2.0 16GB drive and that failed too.

I have downloaded the files several times from the Ford owner website; to see if my original download was corrupted. Also, why does it show a picture of a connect if I own a full size transit? I entered the VIN correctly.

I extracted the zip files, with several different extractors; Windows 10 default, Win7, and BitZipper. All of these end with the same error. I have also performed a master reset and tried different combinations of browser downloads (Firefox and Chrome) and extractions.

I would like to upgrade, mainly because I have lost functionality over time. I originally had the Pandora app available, but it disappeared. FordPass, does not work. I can get the icon to show up, but it does not do anything and then disappears until I reload it. I would also like the Spotify app to show up, because the Ford owner site claims it to be available. Waze and/or pass through audio directions do not work from my Pixel via bluetooth.

Another is the annoyance of the text to speech. Does it really have to speak out the name, phone number and time stamp for every text that I receive? On rare occasions, it will simply speak only the text of the message. So, it leads me to believe that this may be possible.

Sorry for the long rant, I have been fooling with this thing all day.

Update: After getting the "ran out of space or wrong version" at least ten times, I just figured I would leave the usb with the files plugged in. I left it overnight, and about 2 minutes into my trip of the day, the successful update message appeared. I am now running Sync 3 version 3! Yay!

This was totally not worth the time and effort as I can find zero differences from the previous version. The only apps available on the vehicle are listed as Glympse, which does nothing useful, and IHeartRadio which I do not use. I have restarted the vehicle and let it sit for at least 10 minutes between restarts. Restarted my phone and apps that I was trying to get working(Spotify and Waze) and have not any success. Ford Pass still does nothing. The only noticeable difference is that "enable mobile apps" turns itself off after each restart. So, while connected to the phone and wifi I have manually checked for app updates. It tells me that I am up do date, however, I did on one attempt get an error that it could not update. I assume it just wants me to make at least 10 attempts to get it to work!

This reminds me of installing software on computers 25 years ago. Anyone remember what that was like?

I checked other Ford forums and many of them call for uninstalling apps from phone and reinstall. This would be fine, but they also suggest that I master reset the sync 3. I am not going to master reset because I am afraid it will set me back to sync 3 version 1 again.

If it every magically fixes itself I will update

·
Registered
378 Posts
I've done the SYNC update and it was a major hassle. Did you go to the following link to verify that you have an update pending?

I do not remember the full procedure but ended up finding the guys on the Ford Ranger forum and they love playing with SYNC. Check out their forum and see if you can find one of the walk through posts about it. I do remember something about moving a file on the USB after unzipping

1 - 3 of 3 Posts