Ford Transit USA Forum banner

SwivelsRus defective product or am I missing something

3K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  wartyfrog 
#1 ·
Recently received the passenger side swivel from SwivelRus; unboxed and to our surprised the swivel does not "swivel". Attached pic show the adapter in locked and unlocked positions. In the second pic, the orange handle is pushed to the maximum (unlock), but the silver metallic plate still does not clear the hole on the top black plate, thus the swivel cannot rotate. Is this a common defect?? Dread returning this big thing to SwivelsRus. Anyone has any idea please help. Thank you!!
Pink Suitcase Material property Room Electronics
Electronics Technology Hand Electronic device Data storage device

See less See more
#3 ·
Yes, before installed I have dived into many many of the threads, but I have not came across anyone talked about swivel not able to rotate right out of the box. I wonder if I am missing something. The reason that I didn't post my question within one of those threads is that I hope this way I get more exposure and thus get my question answered (is this item really defective or I am overlooking something)

Thanks!

#5 ·
Hello, I have installed a few of these. One of them was pretty stiff to turn on the workbench, less so when clamped down. After loosening the nuts around the swivel ring and spraying some grease between the mating surfaces, then retightening the nuts, the swivel rotated smooth quite and easy.
Auto part Metalworking hand tool

#6 ·
oops, I just took a closer look at the original photo. Ignore my comment about needing lubrication. If the red lever is all the way up then the catch should disengage and release the swivel. In the photo it looks like the red lever is all the way up and the catch is still firmly engaged. I will speculate that the release level has been inadvertently bent up. (shipping? although I have been impressed with the packing which swivels-r-us does) This should be easy to verify if the swivel is on the bench. Perhaps slightly bending the release lever back down will resolve the issue. s.

Reactions: asdrew
#7 ·
skTranait, Thank you so much for the analysis. Yes your are right , although it does not seem that there is any obvious "damage ", as there are no obvious bends or dents...It seems that, in order to get this to work we have to either bend the orange arrow plate upward or grind down the black lip (purple arrow). We are too afraid to touch the nylon nuts being afriad to destroy the threads....we need about 3- 4 mm to clear.

Wonder how this pass SwivelRUs quality control .....Shipping box doesn't seem to be damaged.

Already sent them an email ..I think I have to see if they can do an exchange of sort. Hate to have paid $370+ with the excpectation that it should work at this basic level but it doesn't . If I work at it, I would void the chance of a return (as written on the invoice).......ummmm... dilemma here ??

#8 ·
Sorry to hear about the issue. I just popped the seat up and took the following pictures for comparison. I estimate the angle between the red tab side of the release lever and the side which engages the swivel is 15 degrees. The material is pretty heavy stock and I would only attempt to bend it back when out of the swivel, preferably in a nice vice. (assuming it is bent) It would be interesting to determine what the angle is on the problem child swivel release lever.

Vehicle Car Automotive exterior Automotive lighting Tire
Vehicle Car Automotive design Automotive lighting Tire

Reactions: asdrew
#9 ·
Wow thank you so very much to make the effort to look at yours!! By comparing with yours, mine definitely has a more acute angle (would say it's around 30? Or even more). Now, if I don't get a favorable reply from SwivelRUs....maybe have to grind down the lip that is preventing the orange handle plate from coming all the way up. The only problem with bending that plate is, as you suggested, it has to be out of the swivel; but the spring gadget that this plate is connected to is not easy to disengage ?. Do you see any down side in grinding that lip thing down (purple arrow in previous pic)?

Much thanks again!
Tool

#10 ·
Interesting, You may have found the root of the problem. As to corrective actions... Indeed, see what SwivelsRus has to say. Out of curiosity, I removed the release lever pivoting bolt using a 10mm wrench and socket and the release lever comes out of the assembly pretty easily. (More importantly it also goes back together pretty easy;-) As seen in the photo the angle is closer to 17 degrees. s.
Vehicle door Auto part Vehicle Technology Car

#11 ·
WOW!! So good to know this come apart easy. Thank you so much!! With this info, especially the fact that it can be put back together... and the angle measurements; DIY fix seems to be an acceptable option :D. It may beat lugging the big thing to FedEx, etc...
Very much appreciate your help!!

#12 ·
Just an update on my swivel....
SwivelRUs offered to fix the handle for us. But no exchange. I guess it's a relatively easy fix, once you found the culprit. As pointed out by skTransit, this is caused by the handle being too acutely bent. SwivelRUs said this happened 1 out of 500 adapters they received from Germany....??. Anyway since skTransit already showed us how easy it is to remove the handle, we decided to fix it ourselves .....

We bent it to 19° ( thanks skTransit!!) .....

So now its functioning. Yay!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.