Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Swivel table on passenger B pillar

43020 Views 82 Replies 36 Participants Last post by  atoine
I'm trying to find some pics but I haven't found anyone that has done this. I'm very close to ordering a Lagun swivel table mount for the B-pillar passenger side to be used with the passenger seat swiveled around backwards and also for a semi-outside table with the slider open in camp mode. Has anyone done this on a Transit?

Unfortunately in America the swivel table options are very limited and few Euro companies will ship to us here. After owning a Westfalia I'm sold on the convenience.

There are some threaded holes already on the B pillar about mid way up under the trim (in my wagon) that I might can use.

If anyone has done this I'd love to see pics or links.

I CAN build my own table since it's just some pipe, plate and simple welding but I want a more elegant solution than I can probably fab up, hence my interest in the Lagun table.

Thoughts?

https://www.rv-table-mount.com/?gcl...lhAh0XC6lqSMEEA3KjsWYb42stG-eu1BoC9h8QAvD_BwE
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

· Registered
276 Posts
Thanks for the heads up...

Looks cool...been thinking about something like this that I could move around in the cabin (B pillar and between the bunks) so I just ordered it with an extra mount...I'll post results when I get it later this week.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try using TV Swivel Wall mount-

Lots to choose from -

just mounted a 32" TV in van using one

extends 20 inches from wall so can turn TV sideways
and its very solid - TV mount was $20 ish
Thanks. I have thought of this and they are cheap but I really like the sturdiness and elegance of this Lagun piece. It's on sale right now and the price isn't bad. Additional flanges can be ordered to mount the whole arm and table in a second location. I just keep coming back to it.

Still hoping to see some other folks solutions. Just FYI, please skip ideas with the old-school pedestal mount RV/van tables. I'm quite familiar with those but looking for a swivel solution to swing outside the side door.

· Registered
460 Posts
I'm trying to find some pics but I haven't found anyone that has done this. I'm very close to ordering a Lagun swivel table mount for the B-pillar passenger side to be used with the passenger seat swiveled around backwards and also for a semi-outside table with the slider open in camp mode. Has anyone done this on a Transit?

Unfortunately in America the swivel table options are very limited and few Euro companies will ship to us here. After owning a Westfalia I'm sold on the convenience.

There are some threaded holes already on the B pillar about mid way up under the trim (in my wagon) that I might can use.

If anyone has done this I'd love to see pics or links.

I CAN build my own table since it's just some pipe, plate and simple welding but I want a more elegant solution than I can probably fab up, hence my interest in the Lagun table.

Thoughts?

https://www.rv-table-mount.com/?gcl...lhAh0XC6lqSMEEA3KjsWYb42stG-eu1BoC9h8QAvD_BwE

That's the one I was looking at before I built my own (poor man's version).

· Registered
460 Posts
This one is from the forum somewhere(I think), I cant remember who to give the credit to. I liked the simplicity of it.

Yes, that's mine. Same as above but I boxed it in since I didn't like the industrial look of the pipe. I guess I could have just painted it.

· Registered
348 Posts
I rented a professionally outfitted Transit (extended) for a week in the Fall (half price due to off season) to see what one was like before I ordered, and it had one of these tables. Put simply, they are great. I immediately knew I'd be ordering at least one for my van. There great advantage for a back-of-van dinette is that the table can be swung out of the way to facilitate movement between benches. This is double useful as you can mount the post to the side of a bench, not square in the middle of your walking area.

Furthermore, you can push/pull the table into infinite positions (right into our lap, completely out of the way over the other side of the bench, etc.) The locking mechanism is simple and works and won't swing around when driving, and you can remove the table top or the top and pole with just a few twists.

Would be equally useful at the front of the van for same reasons. Surprised at the low price. I examined it closely and it seemed like a finely machined piece of equipment.

· Registered
276 Posts
Boy these guys are quick...

Ordered one with an extra mount yesterday after seeing this post and just woke up to a FedEx shipping notice saying it'll be here tomorrow...From Great Britain ;-p

Reactions: 86scotty

· Registered
931 Posts
Thanks guys, I just got one too - didn't know I needed it!

$200 for the mount including an extra base. I plan to mount one as 86Scotty suggests, then put the other so it works the same except in the right rear of the van. It will serve at an eventual bench and also pivot out the rear door.

· Registered
449 Posts
Thanks guys, I just got one too - didn't know I needed it!

$200 for the mount including an extra base. I plan to mount one as 86Scotty suggests, then put the other so it works the same except in the right rear of the van. It will serve at an eventual bench and also pivot out the rear door.
Very cool. Let me know how easy the install is. looking for a way to do a dinette table between the passenger seat and a bench I have installed in the back.

· Registered
276 Posts
Got mine in...easy 15 min install after you decide where it needs to be...

1st position is between the bunks and positioned so it serves as a dining table for 2, swings back to serve as a night table and pivots to serve as an "in-bed" work/dining/laptop table...will work on the "B" pillar mount for the swivel passenger seat when I feel like pulling plastic panels again.

Nicely made, very versatile and well worth the cost...sooo much sturdier than the plug-in post type I pulled from the boat part stash.

Pics to follow when I make the final top.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Boy these guys are quick...

Ordered one with an extra mount yesterday after seeing this post and just woke up to a FedEx shipping notice saying it'll be here tomorrow...From Great Britain ;-p
No doubt! I can't believe Lagun is springing for Fedex Int'l Priority. For a consumer (not a business) the shipping price alone would be as much as this table mount! This is no exxageration. I worked for them for 25 years.

Anyway, I got mine and am working on it today. I'll post up pics of my solution.

· Registered
1,154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So, as stated above I went with the Lagun table. I recently sold a Westfalia Vanagon and am convinced, after building homebuilt RVs and vans for years, that the Westy style swivel tables are the most useful things in a van interior. SO much better than a fixed post table.

I am setting up my van for Expedite work and while I wait for the rest of eternity for ***** to send my swivel seat base I just decided to turn my passenger seat around backwards. Occasionally I will use the van for family trips so this is not a long term solution but works great for me day to day. Still, I needed a table. I want one mostly for laptop/meals for myself but occasionally an outdoor table for camping. I settled on the passenger B pillar as the best spot for this idea.

First, I pulled the trim and located two of the tapped bolt holes in the b-pillar. This must be the best thing Ford did in the Transit besides the Ecoboost. Very nice to just be able to fab mounts and bolt things up. Thanks Ford! (I don't get to say that often without deep sarcasm). I used a 1" hole saw to cut the trim OUT of the van on a workbench.

Untitled by 86scotty, on Flickr

Next I measured and cut a 1/4" plywood template to fool around with. I was happy with the design shown on the left and transferred it to some 1/4" plate steel scrap I had. It's heavy and overkill but it's all I had that big. I like overkill.

The B pillar is not completely square so I had to shim a bit out at the top to get it level. It's not level yet in these pics but I have my hardware ready as soon as my paint dries. Below is the Lagun mount plate mounted to my adapter mounted to the B-pillar. Sorry for the dull light. It gets dark around noon here in the winter.

Most of my cabinets are 3/4" American birch from Home Depot. I can't beat the price for the quality. It's a long drive for real baltic birch where I live. I cut out a 16x22" table top and will be staining and wrapping it in T-molding soon.

Part of the reason I made such a big plate was to have clearance to swing it out the slider door for an outdoor cooking table

Stores away nicely and I'll be able to leave it there most of the time as is, but if I remove the table top the arm nests right on top of the passenger door armrest, out of the way unless I have a passenger when I'll remove the whole thing.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts