Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 200 Posts
I am new at this...
See the head inside the shadowed U area. That's the long long (like 2 inches) screw which holds the two halves of the connector together. Loosen it and loosen it some more. I had to loosen, pull the halves apart a bit, then loosen some more. Actual thread on screw was only about 1/2-3/4 inch though. There may also be a clip on fat side of case holding it together too, not sure what I saw there (could be merely aligning guide).

Wait. Ok. Not so fast. When I spin swivel base it hits the baby seat anchor thingy. Did you have that problem??

Attachments

Wait. Ok. Not so fast. When I spin swivel base it hits the baby seat anchor thingy. Did you have that problem??
If you mean the two pins in the front corners of the base used to align the seat before installing bolts, then YES. I chopped them off enough to clear seat swivel top. Used my hand grinder with cut off blade. Make lots of heat and sparks.

Note, I did not install the commercial seat you are installing, so we may be describing different things. My seat plates are less than 1/2 inch apart (new iteration is 3/8 inch), 7/8 inch (new 3/4) total, so those pins, which I believe were about 3/4 high, had to shrink. Do not cut all the way off as they are still useful in aligning the base.

WAIT. Now I see what you are talking about, the welded U shaped handle of 3/16 rod in back. YES, that got chopped off too. Cargo van does not have pretty vinyl cover on aft steel base you have.

Ok. Yes. What you wrote at least he bottom. That u shaped thing is in the way. I don't want to chop. Going to find something around here to use as a spacer....

A gratuitous opinion: That commercial swivel raises the seat enough already, and you want to do more? The handle appears to have no practical use, except maybe as a tie down point. No other purpose I can see. However, cutting it off did leave slightly sharp edges which could rust over time if not treated. You could remove pretty plastic cover, cut off U handle, and reinstall cover, and no one will ever know what you did.

There is an electrical connection box mounted to the bottom of the seat. There is a small hex head machine screw/bolt into end of box facing forward. Unscrew said bolt and connector separates (its just a multi part plug). Then just pull apart. The wire into seat is for internal seat air bag (at least on mine). I have disconnected and reconnected several times without disconnecting battery. You will probably want to undo some of the mounting ties below seat to provide more length to cable for after swivel is installed (I needed to on my home made seat swivel).
I do not have the optional seat air bags so do not have any electrical connections under the passenger seat.

Ok. Yes. What you wrote at least he bottom. That u shaped thing is in the way. I don't want to chop. Going to find something around here to use as a spacer....
Baja, the u shaped wire loop has to be cut. Jethaden is talking about the 2 alignment pins on the front of the seat base. These 2 pins are not in the way. See my pictures earlier.

Question about your swivel: Is the location of the shaft centered? That is the same distance from the 4 mounting bolts?

On the Sprinter the shaft was offset to allow the seat to turn with the door closed. The Transit seats are located further from the doors so maybe they can have the shaft centered.

I will probably make my own swivel seat so would like to know if it must be offset.

Question about your swivel: Is the location of the shaft centered? That is the same distance from the 4 mounting bolts?

On the Sprinter the shaft was offset to allow the seat to turn with the door closed. The Transit seats are located further from the doors so maybe they can have the shaft centered.

I will probably make my own swivel seat so would like to know if it must be offset.
Please clarify what you mean regarding shaft. ?

What I need are the dimensions locating the pivot centerline to the four bolt holes where the seat bolts to the pedestal.

Side to side location of the pivot centerline to the seat bolts. Dimension from the pivot point to the right side bolt holes and the dimension from the pivot centerline to the left side bolt holes. Are these two dimensions the same length?

Same for front to back. Dimension from the pivot point to the front two bolts and from the pivot point to the back two bolts. Are these two dimensions the same length?

Thanks.

The swivel point is offset.

On my home made, I made the pivot in the center of the plate. I have not tried to rotate it with the door closed as I find it easiest to do while standing outside the front door. Of course, mine is not as elegant as the commercial one. There is a fine line between hitting the B pillar with the seat back and the seat hitting the front center console, so it helps to tilt seat back forward (or at least more vertical) and have slider in correct position.

41 - 60 of 200 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.