Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In what situations do you like or would you like to use swivel seats? Would they be practical and comfortable to use turned toward the back of the van, with a table in front of them, for breakfast or dinner? Do they provide a comfortable position and back support for such purpose?

Thank you

·
Registered
150 Posts
Assuming the above is referring to stuff flying at you in a crash, and yes that is a concern so everything needs to me secured down.
As for swivel seats, that is what we use to sit in anytime were in the van other than in bed. I eat off my lap, wife uses a lap table that just tucks away, I find them quite comfortable and in a small vehicle, stuff that serves double duty is valuable.

We park, and swivel the seats. Turn them back before driving off.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I'll be getting swivel seats for sure in my future Transit. We had them in our old VW camper and as FishHog noted, we used them a ton. Finding room for separate seating area, in addition to the bed, kitchen area, etc., is challenging and the swivel seats greatly expand your living area.

·
Registered
141 Posts
We swivel our seats every time we camp overnight. It is our living room, reading nook, dining area, etc...

·
Registered
27 Posts
(installing the passenger swivel)...Plan to swivel towards the driver seat and put the legs up there while relaxing. May also need to put a board down over the driver and passenger seats and turn it into a bed (we have low roof and have to keep the entire first row of passenger seats. Not much room to sleep three.)

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have the swivel seats in my order - plan to use them as others say they do - it makes the entire space useable in a camping setup.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I am bringing this from another Thread over to this Thread because obviously the more members let Ford know their desire to have swivel seats in passenger wagons, the better for all of us.
Semper Fi (y)(y)(y)

CVM,

Finally able to find someone at Ford who knew who Cary is and was able to get transferred to him.
He was surprised that the swivel seats aren't available for "seat delete & builders prep" wagon packages, cause it made sense to him have that option when there are no passenger seats in conflict with the swivels. Especially to help mitigate costs, after explaining the costs involved, for those that now have to use up fitters to accomplish what Ford now offers to some buyers.

He thinks it would be a good option for seat delete and upfitter pkg's, and has added it to the Transit "Wants" list for corporate consideration for the 2021 model. (y)(y)

Would be nice if you could also bring that up with him also when you talk with him and maybe other forum members who are DIY 'ers and would like that option in a wagon, as well as those members who are in wheel chairs and need the more expensive transfer seats now available from up fitters. (don't know how to load a cartoon of a squeaky wheel here) (Thanks asdrew !! )

Semper Fi

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am bringing this from another Thread over to this Thread because obviously the more members let Ford know their desire to have swivel seats in passenger wagons, the better for all of us.
Semper Fi (y)(y)(y)
Yes second that ! Ford should have kits for both passenger and driver swivel in the Parts shop readily available 🤤(wishful thinking)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Looks like using CVM's info and making direct contact with Ford could pay off for those wanting swivel seats in the wagons (and I brought the need in the Crew Van to his attention also.)

Mr Shapiro just contacted me and advised the following. (He didn't just say he would add it to the list, He did and took it further ) (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

1) Potential good news about the swivel seats in 2021 wagons. Since it is one of the less complicated items on the "Wants" list, he's been told that it's likely swivel seats will be available on the 2021 wagons too (but not for the 2020 ). (y)(y)(y)(y)

2) He also advised that there are plans in the works, but can't get into details because they haven't been announced publicly yet, to make the front end of the Transits roomier. (y)(y)(y)(y)

He has advised he will keep me posted, so I will share any info I receive as soon as I get it.

Semper Fi

·
Registered
150 Posts
As soon as we get to camp I swivel both seats around and pop the Sportsmobile top.
If the weather is bad I might even swivel for just a lunch stop, it is really quick and easy.
I have not finished out my interior but here is a pic from a recent Baja trip (thus the sand) and you can see my dog likes his bed right between the seats :)
As for comfort I have seats that are super comfy on the highway and camp from Scheel-Mann

·
Registered
173 Posts
I added swivels to both front seats in my recent "winter updates". They were 2nd on the list after a heater. We just did a trip to San Diego and back via Joshua Tree and we now use the swivels every time we park up for the night. After just 1 trip I cant imagine not having them and the heater!

·
Registered
93 Posts
The 2020 Factory swivels require a completely new seat with built-in swivel mechanism. The seat does not appear to be the same as earlier non-swivel seats. (Someone please prove me wrong, if the parts can be retrofitted.) So it would be cost prohibitive for most. Aftermarket is the only cost-effective solution. I'd love to see the factory option to get the swivels for 2021 wagons though. Even if it means the second row is sorta close to the swiveled driver seat. Or if Ford finally gives in and make the seats slide on the track! Or maybe just space out the rows. Or add additional welded-in mount rods on the existing tracks. I think the sliding seat track won't happen till the Mk9 Transits are released in 2025 (or whenever they decide it's time to replace it).
I have the ebay swivel installed in the passenger seat. It works pretty great! And half the cost of the Scopemas. I used it for a few meals on our last trip and it's not too bad with the second row 3 seater. I could eat face-to-face with my kids. I guess a table in between would be nice. I would buy another if I find the time to lower the e-brake and relocate my B2B charger.

Found the 2020 walk-through with swivel. Credits to Waylon on the Transit owners group on FB.

2020 AWD cargo with seat swivels

·
Registered
27 Posts
I added swivels to both front seats in my recent "winter updates". They were 2nd on the list after a heater. We just did a trip to San Diego and back via Joshua Tree and we now use the swivels every time we park up for the night. After just 1 trip I cant imagine not having them and the heater!
Can you kindly share how hard it is to lower the hand brake for the driver install? We are also thinking of using one of the CCPs by the driver's pedestal. Will the swivel be in the way (tho I don't see how it can be)... Do you need to relocate battery/fuse box for easier access? All these pictures and descriptions really make me want it on the driver side too. Thank you!!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Please see my constant whining about the lack of factory swivels in combination with the better seats in several other related topics on the forum. I think the swivels are an important component in a van. Having to choose between swivels or good seating is not what I was expecting. I want both. Ford makes both, but we can't have them?

I appears though, that given the complexity of the drivers seat base with the ride height, electrical equipment and parking brake handle, that going with the swivels from the factory and then pursuing an aftermarket seat upgrade looks like the only way to go at this time.

If I'm wrong about that, would somebody please let me know. (Talk about trolling!)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
that going with the swivels from the factory and then pursuing an aftermarket seat upgrade looks like the only way to go at this time.
GotDiesel?,

That might be the best option available at this time. :unsure:

Semper Fi

1 - 20 of 61 Posts