Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Successful Espar B4L M2 Heater Install Notes

Tags
espar
41K views 78 replies 31 participants last post by  Mauronic 
#1 ·
Part #1 of the install -

After watching hours of video on YouTube and reading forum posts I wasn't too confident I could to this myself!! I plan to use my van mainly for skiing so I definitely needed a heater in my van. I live at about 5,500 feet and my local ski resort is Mt Rose and the parking lot is at about 8,300 feet so I was concerned about the high altitude issues.
The unit I bought was the Espar B4L M2 gas heater and it has a high altitude kit built in so no adjustments needed. I got it from Heatso and it arrived fast and packed very well. However, it did get held up in customs for a few days. I got the kit and easy start controller for $1,360 including shipping. It looks like the price has gone up a little?

I had originally planned to install it under the passenger seat but after doing a little more research I ended up installing it in the middle of the van by the driver's side wheel well. Unfortunately, I had already installed my flooring so I had to cut out an area because I wanted to mount it on a flat surface so the air intake and exhaust hose were both located on the outside of the van for obvious reasons.

Cutting the holes took some time to make sure it would fit properly, everything lined up great and now it was time to install the air intake and exhaust hoses. It's a tight fit but overall it went together well. The other advantage of installing it where I did there's a lot of room to install the hoses and the exhaust hose is not right next to the door.

Hose Pipe Water Plastic Plumbing

I put some blue tape over the fuel line because I didn't want to get any of that caulking stuff on it and I wasn't going to be dropping the gas tank for a few weeks till I drove it down to empty!!

Technology Automotive exterior Bumper Auto part Electronic device

Automotive exhaust Auto part Pipe Muffler Exhaust system

Hose Auto part Pipe Automotive exterior

Overall, everything went well but it did take a full day doing the install and attaching the hoses.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Part #2 -
My van has the 31 gallon tank and I had to drive it for a few weeks to get it down to empty. I ordered the auxiliary fuel port valve from my local Ford Dealership part number CK4Z- 9B210- A
Removing the gas tank was easy, I just used a couple of boxes to support it and gradually lowered it to the ground, I didn't disconnect the gas line going to where you fill the tank. Once the tank was lowered I could actually see the top of the tank and I located the dummy valve and removed it. You have to slide back the yellow part and then squeeze in on the sides to release it, it took me a few tries because I didn't want to break anything!! It's the yellow valve.
Orange Ceiling Lighting Property Architecture

I lowered the tank onto some leveling blocks and some 2x4s, it worked fine.

Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle Bumper Hood

The fuel port is located right in that round cover, it's easy to spot

Auto part

Product Auto part Wire Plastic

Here's a picture of it removed.

This is the new fuel Aux valve with a hose attached, it just snaps in and you'll hear it click when you push down on it.

I dropped the tank by myself but a helper would've definitely made it a lot easier especially when you're re-attaching it.

#3 ·
Part #3 - Installing the fuel pump.
This part was rather easy. I did it a few months ago and as I recall I had a larger hose coming off the Aux fuel port and I used a reducer to bring it down to a size that would attach to the fuel pump. I didn't use all the different sizes they have in the kit. It seemed ridiculous switching sizes a few different times. I bought the hose and reducer at a local auto parts store.
Bumper Automotive exterior Auto part Vehicle

The fuel pump has to be installed at an angle pointing up.

Cable Wire Electrical wiring Pipe Electrical supply

I tried to make a of of the connections in my garage in stead of under the van.
Hose Pipe Water Iron Metal

Attaching the fuel line to the Espar unit

Finger Hand Cable Auto part Wire

That's the reducer I used from the Aux Fuel port to change the hose size to fit the fuel pump.

I wrapped all the hoses in a wire loom and zipped tied it securely.

#4 · (Edited)
Part #4 Completing the install
Last week I got the electrical system installed. It was now time to see if I installed everything correctly a few month earlier!!
The Espar comes with an inline fuse kit, I didn't use it, instead I used the fuses at my fuse box. I hooked everything up and I got an error message on the Easy Start Controller saying "H1 Fuel Supply or Pump" , I recalled that when I ran the wire to the fuel pump I wasn't sure if it connected correctly. I re-inserted the wires into the little box and this time they clicked into place and I could actually see the tips of the connector. I plugged it back into the fuel pump and the Espar started pumping a ton of heat!!
Electronics Technology Electronic device Measuring instrument

Wire Electrical wiring Cable Technology Electronics

Technology Electronic device Electronic instrument Electronics Furniture

This is where I inserted the fuses

#5 · (Edited)
Part #5 Conclusion

I didn't think I would be able to do this install and was very concerned about this heater even working. But overall it really wasn't to hard with the help of some good YouTube videos!! These are the video I found the most helpful.

This was my favorite and the one I watched the most and during my install,
these are also very helpful too,

I'm sure there are many more good ones on YouTube..................

Looking back at the install, I think installing it where I did makes it very close to the gas tank and not a long run for the fuel line or the fuel pump and that could be why I didn't have many issues with it working correctly. I also like having the exhaust on the other side of the van away from the door. Good luck on your install and I hope this might help just a little bit on your install!!

#6 ·
Thanks so much for your efforts in making this video! I am just about to install my Espar gas heater. This 4,000 Btu unit is huge and will not fit under the Transit passenger seat because the box under the seat does not have a straight side in the back! So, your mid-van install is where I also will put the heater. Your close ups of the gas tank where very helpful.
Glad it's working! 4,000 Btu is an overkill....but Espar don't make a 2000 Btu model.

#8 ·
This 4,000 Btu unit is huge and will not fit under the Transit passenger seat because the box under the seat does not have a straight side in the back!
This is the first I've heard of this. I thought several folks had installed this heater under the passenger seat. Is it tight, or a no-go? Please confirm so I can factor this into my planning.

#15 ·
Lot's of Espar happening here. I just finished my install last night on a 2020 AWD. Yes, it fit under the passenger seat but barely. Had to vent the warm air out into middle (see pic). But the real challenge isn't under the seat, it's under the van. The space underneath is super tight (see other pic). Took a long while getting everything connected under there. It's do-able but barely. Overall, very pleased with the outcome and the Heatso kit. It only took 2 start cycles to get the fuel line primed and the heater working (I've heard 4-5 tries is typical). Connecting the gas tank was easier than I expected. Having a near empty tank is a must. Also, I used a car jack as per some online advice and that worked well in supporting the tank. Looking forward to field testing it. Carbon Monoxide sensor on order (thinking that's a must).

#17 ·
How did you drill the two holes at the bottom of this photo partially overlapping the flange of the boron steel support beam. We tried drilling in the exact same place. Drilling from the inside of the van with a cobalt drill bit, the drill walked away from the boron steel, resulting in an oval-shaped hole in the much softer steel of the floor. We had to file through the boron steel. Despite numerous attempts, we just couldn’t convince the drill to stay in the right location.

Reactions: Bazz99
#24 ·
It seems difficult to find a clear cut answer on the best method of connecting the auxiliary fuel port to the Espar fuel line. As far as I can tell the auxiliary port MAY require a 5/16 OD fuel line, and the standard Espar fuel line is 4mm OD and 2mm ID (thought they make a black 6mm OD version as well). Espar makes an "adaptor for fuel pipes" with 7.5 and 3.5 mm ports they sounds like it would accept such hoses but it seems to be vaporware. Anyone have clearcut guidance on the best products for mating this all together?

#26 ·
I just ordered and received the Ford Transit B4L kit from esparparts. Controller is currently backordered but every little piece you need is in that kit (it includes the Ford fuel port connector and the 7.5 to 3.5mm fuel line adapter!) and their communication and technical support is great. Price seemed great as well. I don't see any need to go outside the country.

#30 ·
Part #1 of the install -

After watching hours of video on YouTube and reading forum posts I wasn't too confident I could to this myself!! I plan to use my van mainly for skiing so I definitely needed a heater in my van. I live at about 5,500 feet and my local ski resort is Mt Rose and the parking lot is at about 8,300 feet so I was concerned about the high altitude issues.
The unit I bought was the Espar B4L M2 gas heater and it has a high altitude kit built in so no adjustments needed. I got it from Heatso and it arrived fast and packed very well. However, it did get held up in customs for a few days. I got the kit and easy start controller for $1,360 including shipping. It looks like the price has gone up a little?

I had originally planned to install it under the passenger seat but after doing a little more research I ended up installing it in the middle of the van by the driver's side wheel well. Unfortunately, I had already installed my flooring so I had to cut out an area because I wanted to mount it on a flat surface so the air intake and exhaust hose were both located on the outside of the van for obvious reasons.

Cutting the holes took some time to make sure it would fit properly, everything lined up great and now it was time to install the air intake and exhaust hoses. It's a tight fit but overall it went together well. The other advantage of installing it where I did there's a lot of room to install the hoses and the exhaust hose is not right next to the door.
View attachment 141973

View attachment 141976

I put some blue tape over the fuel line because I didn't want to get any of that caulking stuff on it and I wasn't going to be dropping the gas tank for a few weeks till I drove it down to empty!!

View attachment 141977

View attachment 141978

View attachment 141979

Overall, everything went well but it did take a full day doing the install and attaching the hoses.
I thought the muffler need to be mounted 90° from how you have it because of the location of condensation wheep holes. Or is the photo loaded sideways?

#32 ·
Hey @Bazz99 how's your Espar holding up now that we're a couple months into the winter? Have you had any issues with the altitude? I'm doing my build with similar goals this summer. I live up in Alpine Meadows but will be using the van for longer pow chasing trips :) Hope you got some good turns in on that crazy 8 foot week we had! :)

#39 ·
Guys, is the gas burning version of these heaters safe / as safe as the diesel versions? I love the idea of the convenience of tapping into my vehicle fuel tank, but gasoline combustion going on under my bed makes me feel scared. Are these things explosion proof? I'm leaning toward a small diesel tank version right now.

Reactions: Bazz99
#41 ·
Trust me, I thought the exact same thing!! Today will be my 108th day skiing this season and I've used it about 75 times and this thing is clutch!! It starts on the first try almost every time and I'm usually at 8200 feet!!
I haven't smelt any gas fumes ever and I was surprised how the unit doesn't heat up much at all considering how much heat it puts out!!
One small diesel spill could really smell bad in your van!! The other good thing about it is as long as you keep your tank above 1/4 there really isn't much to do but turn it on.
Good luck on your install.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.