Ford Transit USA Forum banner
61 - 79 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,005 Posts
Grabbed from someone else's post here:

I purchased the Easystart Pro controller to run the B4L. The set-up instructions are confusing and at first I couldn’t get the temperature to display on the controller screen. I emailed HEATSO and they sent the following directions which worked perfectly:
To open the workshop menu, select the Settings menu (gear Symbol) and then hold the BACK button (arrow back) pressed for longer than 2 seconds while the clock symbol under the gear wheel is flashing.
Scroll to option - CONTROL SENSOR. Select Control unit
Scroll to option - INDICATOR SENSOR. Select Control Unit
Confirm by pressing the operating button.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Lot's of Espar happening here. I just finished my install last night on a 2020 AWD. Yes, it fit under the passenger seat but barely. Had to vent the warm air out into middle (see pic). But the real challenge isn't under the seat, it's under the van. The space underneath is super tight (see other pic). Took a long while getting everything connected under there. It's do-able but barely. Overall, very pleased with the outcome and the Heatso kit. It only took 2 start cycles to get the fuel line primed and the heater working (I've heard 4-5 tries is typical). Connecting the gas tank was easier than I expected. Having a near empty tank is a must. Also, I used a car jack as per some online advice and that worked well in supporting the tank. Looking forward to field testing it. Carbon Monoxide sensor on order (thinking that's a must). View attachment 142098 View attachment 142099
Did you have to cut down the length of your exhaust pipe for this, ours seems so long but understand this length is need to cool it down before it exhausts. If this makes sense?

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Espar Heater Update: We've basically been having about 6 weeks of Spring skiing lately so I really haven't been using the heater too much. However, about a week ago it did take a few tries to get it working and yesterday it took 2 tries. I might go down to Mammoth next week so I'm sure I'll be using it each day.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Did you have to cut down the length of your exhaust pipe for this, ours seems so long but understand this length is need to cool it down before it exhausts. If this makes sense?
install instructions specify a minimum exhaust pipe length of something like 25cm (check that) between outlet and muffler. Mine is very near minimum and all works fine. The instructions are very specific about the entire install. If you follow them it will probably minimize any issues.

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,005 Posts
install instructions specify a minimum exhaust pipe length of something like 25cm (check that) between outlet and muffler. Mine is very near minimum and all works fine. The instructions are very specific about the entire install. If you follow them it will probably minimize any issues.
I looked for that reference when I did our install - 'cause I'd heard it referenced more than once and I remembered that from our D2 install on the Sprinter - and didn't see it in the instructions. Cut ours down and it works fine. 🤷‍♀️

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive exterior Bumper Gas

·
Registered
99 Posts
Espar Heater Update: We've basically been having about 6 weeks of Spring skiing lately so I really haven't been using the heater too much. However, about a week ago it did take a few tries to get it working and yesterday it took 2 tries. I might go down to Mammoth next week so I'm sure I'll be using it each day.
Bazz99, We had the same issue until I talked to the guys at Rixen and figured out what the issue was; air bubbles. Air in the gas tends to accumulate in the fuel pump if it's installed horizontally. This causes the pump to not start pumping right away. Take a look at how your fuel pump is installed. My guess it runs parallel to the ground with input and output at the same level. Try repositioning the fuel pump at a 30 degree angle (output higher than input). This allows the air to accumulate elsewhere in the line and not in the pump. It fixed our issue with taking multiple tries before it would kick on. Good luck.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Per FarOutRide you want to avoid any low points in the exaust.
  • Try to avoid low points. If it cannot be avoided, drill a drain hole (3/16") at each low point in the exhaust pipe.
  • Otherwise water will accumulate in each low point and increase air restriction.
  • Water vapor is a product of combustion! Not convinced? Look at the photo we took after a night of heating (around -20°C outside). Without drain holes, all this water would clog the pipe.
Automotive tire Wood Bumper Motor vehicle Automotive exterior

·
Registered
360 Posts
Per FarOutRide you want to avoid any low points in the exaust.
  • Try to avoid low points. If it cannot be avoided, drill a drain hole (3/16") at each low point in the exhaust pipe.
  • Otherwise water will accumulate in each low point and increase air restriction.
  • Water vapor is a product of combustion! Not convinced? Look at the photo we took after a night of heating (around -20°C outside). Without drain holes, all this water would clog the pipe.
thanks

·
Registered
1 Posts
Lot's of Espar happening here. I just finished my install last night on a 2020 AWD. Yes, it fit under the passenger seat but barely. Had to vent the warm air out into middle (see pic). But the real challenge isn't under the seat, it's under the van. The space underneath is super tight (see other pic). Took a long while getting everything connected under there. It's do-able but barely. Overall, very pleased with the outcome and the Heatso kit. It only took 2 start cycles to get the fuel line primed and the heater working (I've heard 4-5 tries is typical). Connecting the gas tank was easier than I expected. Having a near empty tank is a must. Also, I used a car jack as per some online advice and that worked well in supporting the tank. Looking forward to field testing it. Carbon Monoxide sensor on order (thinking that's a must). View attachment 142098 View attachment 142099
My Espar kit didnt come with the nuts/washers for the 4 studs---anyone know the thread offhand (so i can order them and have them here Monday without having to carry the unit to Home Depot and check the thread)

Also: any verdict on if 500 degree RTV is good enough seal?
I pooled JB Weld Hi Temp into the dip on my 2022 to make a flat surface for the rubber gasket.to sit on (mounting same location you show here)
Also ordered a carbide 5/16 bit to hopefully chew thru the Boron on the 2 holes closest to center

61 - 79 of 79 Posts