Ford Transit USA Forum banner
41 - 60 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Guys, is the gas burning version of these heaters safe / as safe as the diesel versions? I love the idea of the convenience of tapping into my vehicle fuel tank, but gasoline combustion going on under my bed makes me feel scared. Are these things explosion proof? I'm leaning toward a small diesel tank version right now.
Trust me, I thought the exact same thing!! Today will be my 108th day skiing this season and I've used it about 75 times and this thing is clutch!! It starts on the first try almost every time and I'm usually at 8200 feet!!
I haven't smelt any gas fumes ever and I was surprised how the unit doesn't heat up much at all considering how much heat it puts out!!
One small diesel spill could really smell bad in your van!! The other good thing about it is as long as you keep your tank above 1/4 there really isn't much to do but turn it on.
Good luck on your install.

·
Registered
Build date 5/10/2021: 148", medium roof, Adventure Prep, Avalanche Grey..
162 Posts
Trust me, I thought the exact same thing!! Today will be my 108th day skiing this season and I've used it about 75 times and this thing is clutch!! It starts on the first try almost every time and I'm usually at 8200 feet!!
That's a great endorsement. I'm definitely leaning this way now - just have to get past the price...

Reactions: Bazz99

·
Premium Member
382 Posts
Part #3 - Installing the fuel pump.
This part was rather easy. I did it a few months ago and as I recall I had a larger hose coming off the Aux fuel port and I used a reducer to bring it down to a size that would attach to the fuel pump. I didn't use all the different sizes they have in the kit. It seemed ridiculous switching sizes a few different times. I bought the hose and reducer at a local auto parts store.
View attachment 141988

The fuel pump has to be installed at an angle pointing up.
Question: Why does the fuel pump need to be angled upward? Because the heater is above it?
Gonna be doing a similar install and was just curious.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
But Bob24b you will also want to install a slosh baffle in your line to keep from forming bubbles in the first place, as you continuously accelerate/decelerate to keep your place in line........
Link or any other info on this? Never seen one before

·
Registered
9 Posts
Part #1 of the install -

After watching hours of video on YouTube and reading forum posts I wasn't too confident I could to this myself!! I plan to use my van mainly for skiing so I definitely needed a heater in my van. I live at about 5,500 feet and my local ski resort is Mt Rose and the parking lot is at about 8,300 feet so I was concerned about the high altitude issues.
The unit I bought was the Espar B4L M2 gas heater and it has a high altitude kit built in so no adjustments needed. I got it from Heatso and it arrived fast and packed very well. However, it did get held up in customs for a few days. I got the kit and easy start controller for $1,360 including shipping. It looks like the price has gone up a little?

I had originally planned to install it under the passenger seat but after doing a little more research I ended up installing it in the middle of the van by the driver's side wheel well. Unfortunately, I had already installed my flooring so I had to cut out an area because I wanted to mount it on a flat surface so the air intake and exhaust hose were both located on the outside of the van for obvious reasons.

Cutting the holes took some time to make sure it would fit properly, everything lined up great and now it was time to install the air intake and exhaust hoses. It's a tight fit but overall it went together well. The other advantage of installing it where I did there's a lot of room to install the hoses and the exhaust hose is not right next to the door.
View attachment 141973

View attachment 141976

I put some blue tape over the fuel line because I didn't want to get any of that caulking stuff on it and I wasn't going to be dropping the gas tank for a few weeks till I drove it down to empty!!

View attachment 141977

View attachment 141978

View attachment 141979

Overall, everything went well but it did take a full day doing the install and attaching the hoses.
Where are your holes thru the floor relative to the leaf spring mount? It is kind of hard to take a area shot photo under a van. thanks for you great post.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
I got mine from Heatso and it didn't come with a standpipe, I had to order the part from Ford. I skied 135 days last year and probably used the heater 100 times mostly at 8200 feet and had no issues.

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Avalanche Grey
710 Posts
The transit kit on esparparts shows it comes with a standpipe, not the yellow fitting. Has that been the experience?
I'm piecing my way through the Esparparts kit install this week, and @Bazz99 is hopefully going to help me drop my fuel tank and complete the install next weekend. I can confirm that the Esparparts kit comes with a standpipe, though I also bought the fuel adapter @Bazz99 used just in case. I'll post on my build thread and probably here also how the install goes.

·
Registered
2020 RWD 250 148" HR
14 Posts
Hi. can you tell me what size fuse you used in the 12v fuse box? I am
42w @12v = 3.5 amps (42 = 3.5 X12)

I upped it to 5 amps on mine...

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Fuses depend on wire size…

·
Registered
128 Posts
The B4L will use something like 9 amps for the first couple minutes. I believe the kit came with a 20 amp fuse.

I’m curious about the kit now coming with a separate stand pipe. I used the yellow adaptor and so far everything works fine.

Does anyone know the deal with this change? What exactly does it prevent/solve?

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
The B4L will use something like 9 amps for the first couple minutes. I believe the kit came with a 20 amp fuse.

I’m curious about the kit now coming with a separate stand pipe. I used the yellow adaptor and so far everything works fine.

This has been discussed in detail on this forum…

• Haha
Reactions: gregoryx

·
Registered
97 Posts

The standpipe helps with the fuel pump being able to pump without too much cavitation at elevation +9K feet. I used the Ford aux port in my setup 3 years ago and it seems to work fairly consistently at 9K.and under (I did a test on Sherman pass in Sequoia NP, last month, 9200 feet, and it fired on the second attempt) I will add that the heater did not work well for the first year or so. I needed to repair the connector to the thermostat and get a replacement ECU from Esparbaucher with software V4. The national sales manager told me to stay clear of Heatso.com, as they have had nothing but problems with kits they have sold. That being said, I am happy with the heater, and will probably add the standpipe in the tank if I have any issues this winter.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I posted on how to install the stand pipe in this thread and also talked about why I chose the Espar.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
I took the van to Utah this week to ski and I was using the Espar Easy Start Pro and found out that if you hold the button/knob in for about 4 seconds it automatically starts the heater with the last setting used instead of going through all the menus and settings to start the heater. Also, if you want to shut it off before it times out just hold the button/knob in and it'll shut off automatically.
The heater performed great the whole trip, no issues and it started on the first try every time. I also set the schedule for the first time and that worked great too. I had it come on at 2 AM and 5 AM in the morning for 30 minutes and that was a lot better than getting up to turn it on.
While I was waiting for some avalanche control work I shut the van off and turned on the heater to keep the van warm. The traffic started to move and I didn't have time to turn it off, I drove with it on with no issues except the van go too hot!!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

41 - 60 of 79 Posts