Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 79 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
It seems difficult to find a clear cut answer on the best method of connecting the auxiliary fuel port to the Espar fuel line. As far as I can tell the auxiliary port MAY require a 5/16 OD fuel line, and the standard Espar fuel line is 4mm OD and 2mm ID (thought they make a black 6mm OD version as well). Espar makes an "adaptor for fuel pipes" with 7.5 and 3.5 mm ports they sounds like it would accept such hoses but it seems to be vaporware. Anyone have clearcut guidance on the best products for mating this all together?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Hey, awesome thread, I am planning on doing the same install (Espar B4L) on my 2016 Transit 350 soon. Anyone have any feedback on Heatso.com vs. Esparparts.com ? Service, communication, etc?
I just ordered and received the Ford Transit B4L kit from esparparts. Controller is currently backordered but every little piece you need is in that kit (it includes the Ford fuel port connector and the 7.5 to 3.5mm fuel line adapter!) and their communication and technical support is great. Price seemed great as well. I don't see any need to go outside the country.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just ordered and received the Ford Transit B4L kit from esparparts. Controller is currently backordered but every little piece you need is in that kit (it includes the Ford fuel port connector and the 7.5 to 3.5mm fuel line adapter!) and their communication and technical support is great. Price seemed great as well. I don't see any need to go outside the country.
Thanks for the feedback. After speaking with them on the phone, I also placed an order from them.

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Sounds like a great deal! I've been using mine for about a month and it's working great!
It heats the van up to 60 degrees in minutes no matter what the temp is outside!
It also dries off my ski gear very fast during a lunch break!
Floor Flooring Carpet Plywood Tile

Drying my ski boots and gloves

Bottle Glass bottle Drink Alcoholic beverage Distilled beverage

Nice hot chocolate during a break! Still waiting on my granite counter top!
Nature Blue Branch Winter Freezing

Fresh powder today!
Branch Blue Winter Freezing Snow

The van has exceeded my expectations, it's like having a condo Slope side! No more packing a cooler every day is a big bonus!
Motor vehicle Mode of transport Automotive tire Automotive mirror Automotive design

·
Registered
2019 HR 3.7 250 LSD 4.10 Dual Batt/Hvy Dty Alt/Tow Pack
20 Posts
Part #1 of the install -

After watching hours of video on YouTube and reading forum posts I wasn't too confident I could to this myself!! I plan to use my van mainly for skiing so I definitely needed a heater in my van. I live at about 5,500 feet and my local ski resort is Mt Rose and the parking lot is at about 8,300 feet so I was concerned about the high altitude issues.
The unit I bought was the Espar B4L M2 gas heater and it has a high altitude kit built in so no adjustments needed. I got it from Heatso and it arrived fast and packed very well. However, it did get held up in customs for a few days. I got the kit and easy start controller for $1,360 including shipping. It looks like the price has gone up a little?

I had originally planned to install it under the passenger seat but after doing a little more research I ended up installing it in the middle of the van by the driver's side wheel well. Unfortunately, I had already installed my flooring so I had to cut out an area because I wanted to mount it on a flat surface so the air intake and exhaust hose were both located on the outside of the van for obvious reasons.

Cutting the holes took some time to make sure it would fit properly, everything lined up great and now it was time to install the air intake and exhaust hoses. It's a tight fit but overall it went together well. The other advantage of installing it where I did there's a lot of room to install the hoses and the exhaust hose is not right next to the door.
View attachment 141973

View attachment 141976

I put some blue tape over the fuel line because I didn't want to get any of that caulking stuff on it and I wasn't going to be dropping the gas tank for a few weeks till I drove it down to empty!!

View attachment 141977

View attachment 141978

View attachment 141979

Overall, everything went well but it did take a full day doing the install and attaching the hoses.
I thought the muffler need to be mounted 90° from how you have it because of the location of condensation wheep holes. Or is the photo loaded sideways?

·
Registered
2021 AWD HR Avalanche Grey
710 Posts
Hey @Bazz99 how's your Espar holding up now that we're a couple months into the winter? Have you had any issues with the altitude? I'm doing my build with similar goals this summer. I live up in Alpine Meadows but will be using the van for longer pow chasing trips :) Hope you got some good turns in on that crazy 8 foot week we had! :)

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It's working great, Mt Rose is at 8200 feet and almost all the time it starts right up, a few times it's taken a few tries to start it!! During all that pow last week it worked great!! All my gear was wet and in less than a half hour the heater dried it all out!!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Part #5 Conclusion

I didn't think I would be able to do this install and was very concerned about this heater even working. But overall it really wasn't to hard with the help of some good YouTube videos!! These are the video I found the most helpful.

This was my favorite and the one I watched the most and during my install,
these are also very helpful too,

I'm sure there are many more good ones on YouTube..................

Looking back at the install, I think installing it where I did makes it very close to the gas tank and not a long run for the fuel line or the fuel pump and that could be why I didn't have many issues with it working correctly. I also like having the exhaust on the other side of the van away from the door. Good luck on your install and I hope this might help just a little bit on your install!!
Thanks for posting! glad to hear this unit is working for you. It sounds like much better than webasto gas units.

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks Bazz99, for the install notes and pics. Super helpful. Where did you / others route the wire from the heater to fuel pump underneath the van? The Sprinter has a sleeve underneath the driver seat, but the Transit doesn't, I believe. Thanks!

·
Registered
2020 AWD 250 Crew HR 148"
75 Posts
I ran mine down through the side channel or whatever you call it. Basically just drilled a hole big enough for the grommet and ran it down and then out through one of the slots that was right be the fuel pump if that makes sense.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Part #5 Conclusion

I didn't think I would be able to do this install and was very concerned about this heater even working. But overall it really wasn't to hard with the help of some good YouTube videos!! These are the video I found the most helpful.

This was my favorite and the one I watched the most and during my install,
these are also very helpful too,

I'm sure there are many more good ones on YouTube..................

Looking back at the install, I think installing it where I did makes it very close to the gas tank and not a long run for the fuel line or the fuel pump and that could be why I didn't have many issues with it working correctly. I also like having the exhaust on the other side of the van away from the door. Good luck on your install and I hope this might help just a little bit on your install!!
After installing my BL4 M2 in a 2020, 350, I would like to add some additional information to this great video.

Instead of dropping the tank all the way, I dropped it far enough to reach the port connection. I removed the middle hangers and left the front and rear. The front hanger
bolts were loosened enough ( 1 inch ) to allow the tank to pivot. The rear hanger bolts were removed completely and the hanger was safety-wired to the frame so it couldn't drop more than
8-10 inches. Yes, I could have dropped it farther, but I dropped it until I could get my hand in there. It would have been nice if the port was in the rear of the tank.....but oh, no...it's in the middle of the tank.

First: Oh crud, the bolts are different lengths!
Look at the support beams they go into. One is taller
than the other. Long bolt in the tall beam.

Support bracket held up with safety wire. Not really needed.

Tank rear end held up by jack. Less than a quarter tank of gas. Can push up by hand.

Locate the fuel port. This is a view from the driver's side. It's about in the middle of the tank.
You can locate the existing plug by feel. It's the only one without connections. Sliding the locking clip back is
easy. Pressing in the sides took some effort if you have fat fingers. Make sure to study the new connector first.
I installed a long, 3ft, 5/16 hose instead of a short piece. The fewer connections on top of the tank the better.
When pushing on the new connector, make sure the yellow, locking clip is open. Push on the connector completely!
I heard TWO clicks. The second one was way louder than the first. then, close the yellow clip. The clip has ribs on the
end you push. Again, you can do this by feel.

3ft hose that will be cut shorter.

Thanks to Bazz99 for the original post. I really wasn't that hard. I would recommend using
an impact tool to speed up bolt removal/replacement. The bolts are tight all the way.

·
Registered
Build date 5/10/2021: 148", medium roof, Adventure Prep, Avalanche Grey..
162 Posts
The van has exceeded my expectations, it's like having a condo Slope side! No more packing a cooler every day is a big bonus!
Dude your van looks amazing. I saved these pics. Love the blue!

Reactions: Bazz99

·
Registered
Build date 5/10/2021: 148", medium roof, Adventure Prep, Avalanche Grey..
162 Posts
Guys, is the gas burning version of these heaters safe / as safe as the diesel versions? I love the idea of the convenience of tapping into my vehicle fuel tank, but gasoline combustion going on under my bed makes me feel scared. Are these things explosion proof? I'm leaning toward a small diesel tank version right now.

Reactions: Bazz99

·
Registered
2020 AWD Transit 250 MR
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Glad it went well and that's awesome the way you lowered your tank!! I'm sure that will help a lot of people install it successfully and save some time!! When, I think back the hardest part of the install was re-mounting the tank by myself!! Good luck on the rest of your build!!

21 - 40 of 79 Posts