Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
I had the factory rubber mat and i just left that in and put 1" foam board with 1/2" ply followed by vinyl plank on top. figured i'd fasten the cabinet bases and edge trimming at the doors all the way through into the metal floor and that would be enough to hold it in place. I've had the floor in about a month with nothing screwed into it yet and it looks good so far.

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the factory rubber mat and i just left that in and put 1" foam board with 1/2" ply followed by vinyl plank on top. figured i'd fasten the cabinet bases and edge trimming at the doors all the way through into the metal floor and that would be enough to hold it in place. I've had the floor in about a month with nothing screwed into it yet and it looks good so far.
I also have the factory rubber mat. I've heard about it trapping water. What did you put on top of the plywood?

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Understood, but what did you use instead of?
@whoam, Mostly Gorilla brand construction adhesive. The tabs that hold my plywood sections of the wall on are glued and screwed in with self tapping screws. I used the plusnuts on the bed, which I built to hold ~1500 lbs, since I use it to load lumber on. The plusnuts don't take any of the load, that is transferred to the floor with "posts", they just hold the main bed beams to the strength members of the van.

·
Registered
2021 HR Ext DRW AWD T350
84 Posts
Started my van build this month (HR, extended, DRW, AWD 2021). Here's what worked out well for the subfloor. I'll be building a floor on top of this - more details to come.

Between the floor ribs slats: 1/2" Auracoply from Home depot. Glued down with Sikaflex 221
On top of the ribs pieces of aluminum and foam self-adhesive duct insulation (also from Home Depot)
This will be topped with 3/8" baltic birch plywood. Glued down onto the wood slats with Sikaflex and also secured from the top with brackets into the van side rails.
This combo gives a thermal break with the 1/2" plywood. The foam doesn't get crushed so it also provides a thermal break (also reflective).
The 3/8" on top goes perfectly with the heavy duty metal scuff plate. I also used some Simpson strong tie L brackets to bolt into the threaded D ring holes (5/16" unified thread) on top of the plywood. (These will be hidden inside benches.) I also cleaned out the paint in the welded nut on the driver's side. I will use a longer bolt on that side and that will also act as my main grounding point to the frame (I'll have others too for backup). It is welded to the same piece of metal that the Ford rear ground points are attached to.

·
Registered
2016 Ford Transit 150 Medium Roof 148” Wheelbase
43 Posts
did you have to join the pieces of plywood together to make sure it stayed flat?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts