Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Structural compromise after drilling boron steel?

446 11
Ok, I HAVE used the search function on this.
I want to install a length of l-track near the driver side ceiling of my van (between B and C pillars). There are two existing holes I've used for plus nuts, but I need a few more anchor points.

I've read what I can find on the unique joys of drilling the boron steel - but my question is if this is a poor idea on its face? Since the Transit is a unibody frame, am I compromising the integrity of the vehicle putting drill holes in the reenforced zones?

Am I overthinking this?
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Ok, I HAVE used the search function on this.
I want to install a length of l-track near the driver side ceiling of my van (between B and C pillars). There are two existing holes I've used for plus nuts, but I need a few more anchor points.

I've read what I can find on the unique joys of drilling the boron steel - but my question is if this is a poor idea on its face? Since the Transit is a unibody frame, am I compromising the integrity of the vehicle putting drill holes in the reenforced zones?

Am I overthinking this?
You will probably strengthen things if any.

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
The main problem with drilling boron steel is from the risk of it corroding as a result. That's all down to removing burrs and priming the hole after drilling.

You should be OK with Riv/PlusNut sized holes to support L-track. Many of us have done exactly what you are looking to do, without issue (apart from the joy of drilling boron steel lol).

·
Registered
2021 W2X High Roof Cargo T350, 148", EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey
736 Posts
If you think about what's allowed in home construction, a maximum size hole in the center of a load carrying beam is allowed for wire and pipe.

All the holes in the transit rib are centered. A similar size hole, centered in the rib, greater than 2" from another hole or seam would seem reasonable. Don't hit your roof panel while drilling. Not much room for mistakes.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts