Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side-view mirror Tire Car

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Window

Automotive parking light Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Vehicle Automotive side-view mirror

Remembered I had eyebolts I was supposed to use for unistrut L brackets holding the side awning strut馃馃き.
Installed them and tried out the new rack with 20ft pvc pipe to finish the vans shade cover. Worked good, should have no problems with the 12ft S.U.Paddleboard. 馃
Sky Hood Tree Window Bumper

Premium Member
The key to a sturdy/secure rack is not extending forward beyond the front attachment point very far. -As you have done. The bolts holding everything to the van are 8mm so cross-sectional area is not all that much.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan

Registered
I have been day dreaming about tires for mine - looks like stock wheels but what have you got for tire make and size? Looks nice.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The key to a sturdy/secure rack is not extending forward beyond the front attachment point very far. -As you have done. The bolts holding everything to the van are 8mm so cross-sectional area is not all that much.

All the best,
Hein
DIYvan
Agree 100%, also really helps the wind drag. I got a van, instead of a trailer, because I like to get there fairly fast- as in fast lane usually. Why the rack is well short of the awning support and even it stops where the roof slopes down instead of edge of the sliding door.
I seldom put stuff on top but the drag will always be there, so I tried hard to minimize it.
My whole van is kinda the same concept.
With our Element, I liked the less is more part about it. Not for everyone, but why we went with the shortest wheelbase, lowest roof we could stand up in for a reason.
My entire build is about that less is more and use what you have :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have been day dreaming about tires for mine - looks like stock wheels but what have you got for tire make and size? Looks nice.
Everthing stock 2021 Adventure Package, Continental 236/65/16. I am happy with it so far, but yet to really put it through the paces offraod- which I will ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not really part of build, but went ahead and popped in those pvc pipes for the sun shade. Still tweaking, but proof of concept anyway. We live coastal LA, so mostly to keep dew/dirt from building. Will be able to accordian type fold next to main wood cross section if weather gets too ugly, which fortunately is rare. Tarp is just a replacement cover for a Costco cover that's too low 89$ but got me thinking.
Sky Cloud Building Window Wood

Boat Wood Shade Line Siding

Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Mode of transport Hood

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire Car

1 - 7 of 7 Posts