Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Cool! Glad to know the fasteners aren't as high as it looked!

I now have a spare giubo on hand that came with 3 nut/bolts- it was a takeoff from a new Transit presumably getting a 4x4 conversion.

It was a troublesome transaction- the ebay seller (vanzoneautoparts) is connected to Quigley- ended up getting the giubo for free as the seller kept providing multiple shipping dates then not meeting them and not answering inquiries as to the whereabouts of my part.
After several weeks and me opening a case, Ebay refunded my money, which was PayPal'd to Angie Quigley.
Then the part showed up a day later....
No contact whatsoever from the seller. I would gladly pay them for the eventually delivered part but they don't communicate- caveat emptor.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Disclaimer: This is on a 130" van built in early 2015. What you will find is anyone's guess.

I was planning to work in the next county today and before I left thought I'd take a peek at the giubo. Yikes. Rescheduled and crawled under the van.

What a pita. One of the giubo to trans bolts froze so tight my 1200lb air hammer would not budge it. Had to use a long handled ratchet. Grunt, click, grunt, click... yeeesh. Use impact sockets even if you do this without air. The force needed to free that bolt would have cracked a regular socket. There is a pin coming out of the trans that extends an inch or so into the end of the driveshaft. To get the giubo out you have to align the u joints so one leg is parallel to the ground, take out the bolts that hold the center bearing, and have your manservant gently lower the shaft, thus pulling the nose away from the transmission, all while taking care not to flex either u joint more than 15º. Meanwhile, you wait at the front for the nose to come free, swap the giubo, and re-attach the center bearing, all before said manservant's arms give out. Sound like fun? You betcha. I scribed both the bolt and the retention flange on the nut holding the center bearing and was able to get the thing back where it started. Other than that, not technically challenging, just a butt load of work. I had the front of the van raised about 14" and rear about 8. Worked ok. If you jack up one rear wheel you can turn the shaft with it, even with a LS rear end. Glad it's over. Next time I suspect it will only take about 2-3 hours. The frozen bolt was the big holdup this time. I was certain the factory had crossed it up. The thing came out looking pristine though, no galling.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Going back in. Time for giubo #3 . I hope the blue shmoo Ford creamed onto the new bolts I installed the last one with is just that: blue loctite. Should make it a very easy job.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Yup. The original was thoroughly knackered by 40k, now at 65 or so the replacement is looking grim.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
Yup. The original was thoroughly knackered by 40k, now at 65 or so the replacement is looking grim.
Those guibos must dread a lead foot on the EB. I sometimes wonder what that torque must do to that piece of rubber when the EB tells it to move 7000lbs from 40 to 80mph in two seconds ?

Sent from my ASUS_Z00TD using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Done. The blue shmoo is as bad or worse than the OE clear glue. That or residual OE glop was keeping those bolts tight. This time the big gun stalled on two of them. I had a loooooong breaker bar though so no need for PT or surgery after getting the bolts out. One thing I didn't mention, the steel bolt sleeves in the giubo are not all the same. Three stick out a bit on one side, and three on the other. Those extensions align to the ears on the flanges, the bolts or nuts go against the flush side. I had 30k on this giubo and it looked worse that the original I put 40k on. Hopefully I will sell the van or be able to purchase the new giubo/shim kit before this one is ripe. I do have another on hand though in case ford are aholes about it.

·
Premium Member
87 Posts
So you guys had me so worried about my 2016 136 wagon (bought 1-18 as a dealer left over) that I slid underneath and checked the Giubo. Giubo? I got no Giubo. All U joints and and a steel "safety" loop near the tranny. Noted; the drive shafts have bar code/part # stickers on the driveshafts.
Bought with less than 400 miles, now has about 9500 but wife pulls horse trailer quite a bit.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts