Ford Transit USA Forum banner

41 - 52 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just wanted to add to this thread. Somebody asked a while back if it was just the 3.7s this happens to. No my 3.5 ecoboost had the same issue. Died on me in the middle of an intersection and had to be towed home.

I purchased the fuel management control unit from my local Ford dealership for around $60 unplugged the old unit, swapped it for the new one and now my van is purring again.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2015 Ford Transit 150 3.7 Flex
So same problem as everyone else, No start below 40F. The first thing I did after turning it over several times was check fuel pressure, disconnected supply line to fuel rail and put pressure gauge on it and got 57 psi. Oddly enough while pressure testing it(the way I set it up was just having the gauge to the supply line and did not have it pass through to the rail) it tried to crank with only residual fuel in the rail. Reconnected line and started right up, thought it was a weird hiccup until next morning when it was cold again no start. Ran diagnostics no faults, smoked system, no leaks, checked watched several streams of live data and nothing jumped out at me as being problematic besides it not starting. After spending several days of checking and rechecking I could not find an issue so just from everything I've read and just out of pure frustration I replaced fuel pump driver module. No fix, and now I'm down to brand new fuel pump, throttle actuator, it has already been serviced prior to this issue so it has brand new spark plugs air filter etc... Still no start, may not be related but found breather hose on driver side connector from valve cover to air intake boot(opposite side of the PCV) is sucking in oil and moisture. Have physically inspected every aspect of the powertrain system and I am stuck. Anyone??? help would be much appreciated

·
Registered
5 Posts
2015 Ford Transit 150 3.7 Flex
So same problem as everyone else, No start below 40F. The first thing I did after turning it over several times was check fuel pressure, disconnected supply line to fuel rail and put pressure gauge on it and got 57 psi. Oddly enough while pressure testing it(the way I set it up was just having the gauge to the supply line and did not have it pass through to the rail) it tried to crank with only residual fuel in the rail. Reconnected line and started right up, thought it was a weird hiccup until next morning when it was cold again no start. Ran diagnostics no faults, smoked system, no leaks, checked watched several streams of live data and nothing jumped out at me as being problematic besides it not starting. After spending several days of checking and rechecking I could not find an issue so just from everything I've read and just out of pure frustration I replaced fuel pump driver module. No fix, and now I'm down to brand new fuel pump, throttle actuator, it has already been serviced prior to this issue so it has brand new spark plugs air filter etc... Still no start, may not be related but found breather hose on driver side connector from valve cover to air intake boot(opposite side of the PCV) is sucking in oil and moisture. Have physically inspected every aspect of the powertrain system and I am stuck. Anyone??? help would be much appreciated
I had the same issue with my 2015 transit 350 3.5L engine. My starting problem was random. My scanner would tell me that it was an open or short at the fuel pump. Ford did their diagnostic and said it was the fuel driver module. I argued with them because I had just replaced the module. The said that they could only find the problem if they could recreate the problem. After a week, they had no luck. I took the van home and drove it until it didn't start again. This time I replaced the fuel pump relay. All was good for a couple weeks. Out of frustration i took my pocket knife and tapped on the relay and the van started right up. The next time there was a problem was when I was actually driving. Pulled off the road and tapped on the relay again. The van started right up. I felt that I had actually discovered the source of the problem. Thinking there was some sort of loose connection, I took a small screwdriver and carefully bent the tabs in the socket to where I had to force the relay into the socket. That was 6 months ago and the problem has not returned. I also had the problems with water intrusion into the air filter and engine compartment. Ford wouldn't fix them, even though they were addressed in service bulletins. I bought my van used and because it was a commercial vehicle it was not covered by the service bulletins. Lesson learned! Hope this informatin helps!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Ford wouldn't fix them, even though they were addressed in service bulletins. I bought my van used and because it was a commercial vehicle it was not covered by the service bulletins. Lesson learned! Hope this informatin helps!
Never heard of TSB's not addressed due to being commercial sounds like a crock of **** to me.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Never heard of TSB's not addressed due to being commercial sounds like a crock of **** to me.
avenge,
I had never heard or imagined that either. I ran a Carfax report with my VID#. There were no TBS's shown for the van. On the last page of the report the was note stating that Commercial vehicles might not be included in the TBS's. I had Ford check the VIN# and they also came up with no TBS's on my van. I even talked with the service manage and he had no explanation. All I can do is assume that is why the repairs were never done. The first six months of owning my van were very frustrating. I was very determined to fix the problems. Fortunately, with no help from Ford, I was able to solve the issues myself. I really enjoy my van now!

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
avenge,
I had never heard or imagined that either. I ran a Carfax report with my VID#. There were no TBS's shown for the van. On the last page of the report the was note stating that Commercial vehicles might not be included in the TBS's. I had Ford check the VIN# and they also came up with no TBS's on my van. I even talked with the service manage and he had no explanation. All I can do is assume that is why the repairs were never done. The first six months of owning my van were very frustrating. I was very determined to fix the problems. Fortunately, with no help from Ford, I was able to solve the issues myself. I really enjoy my van now!
There are a bunch of TSB for the 2016 Transit, But this is for all engine types.

And there is no such thing as Commercial only because the Transit is listed as a commercial vehicle, It says Commercial right on my Title.

·
Registered
5 Posts
There are a bunch of TSB for the 2016 Transit, But this is for all engine types.

And there is no such thing as Commercial only because the Transit is listed as a commercial vehicle, It says Commercial right on my Title.
The issue isn't that the vehicle is a commercial vehicle(I was mistaken about that part of it), the problem with my van is that it was origonally sold to a rental company. Rental vehicles appear to be not approved for the repairs. That is probably why my VIN shows no recalls. My apologies. I still hope that my solution, to the starting problem, is helpful to someone.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Just wanted to say a huge thank you to the people who have posted on this thread. I own a 2015 transit 250 with 3.7 high roof long wheelbase. At the job site today, I needed to move my van so the customer could leave. When I went to start it, it only cranked wouldn't fire. I have never had a problem with this van ever starting! I freaked out then googled my symptoms and it lead me to this thread! I instantly called the ford dealer and they had the fuel module/driver in stock for 89.61. changed it and it instantly fired right back up! So thank you all again!!!!!!

41 - 52 of 52 Posts