Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,708 Posts
Can anyone recommend a dc-dc trickle charger/maintainer that I can use my house battery to trickle charge the van starter battery?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I was going to use the Renogy DC-DC charger but was scared away that it draws over 50 amps from the starter battery and the Bemm states max 30 amp. Mine has the smaller alternator 140 amp and I didn't want to buy the 250 amp alternator but looking back it may have been a good idea for the ability to keep the starter battery from dying and also fast charge while driving if needed.
Lots of unknowns and differing opinions on the alternator capabilities.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
In hindsight when I first bought it around Chritmas she would sit around for a few weeks or more and still crank but the first time the battery died after sitting a couple months the voltage really got super low which probably degraded the capacity of it and that's why it dies alot quicker now.
Probably should just get a new one for safety since they are marginal even when new.

·
Registered
126 Posts
In hindsight when I first bought it around Chritmas she would sit around for a few weeks or more and still crank but the first time the battery died after sitting a couple months the voltage really got super low which probably degraded the capacity of it and that's why it dies alot quicker now.
Probably should just get a new one for safety since they are marginal even when new.
I bought mine from Walmart (first time I've ever bought a battery from Walmart) it's better than the factory battery.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
I bought mine from Walmart (first time I've ever bought a battery from Walmart) it's better than the factory battery.
I'm sold on Walmart batteries. They are a decent price for one thing, but the real bonus is the return policy. There are Walmarts everywhere, and only a small wait (if any) at the returns desk to exchange it if it's bad. When my OEM battery went bad under warranty, I stopped in to just remove it myself and exchange it for a new battery, but was informed I'd have to make an appointment and wait while they did it; 2-4hrs. I went across the street and bought a new Everstart Maxx at Walmart for $100 instead. Spent nearly 10 whole minutes replacing the OEM battery.

Reactions: thecho and avenge

·
Registered
59 Posts
I'm sold on Walmart batteries. They are a decent price for one thing, but the real bonus is the return policy. There are Walmarts everywhere, and only a small wait (if any) at the returns desk to exchange it if it's bad. When my OEM battery went bad under warranty, I stopped in to just remove it myself and exchange it for a new battery, but was informed I'd have to make an appointment and wait while they did it; 2-4hrs. I went across the street and bought a new Everstart Maxx at Walmart for $100 instead. Spent nearly 10 whole minutes replacing the OEM battery.
Interesting! How did you know your OEM battery was bad, by the way? Was it based on some voltage measurement, or did you have to get jumped to start?
Also, impressive you managed to change the battery in 10 minutes - it looks like a lot of effort with removing the driver seat and all that.

EDIT: Just checked the Walmart website and at least their fit finder says no battery found for the Transit. I assume I could just find one with the right group size if I find out what I currently have.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Seat is held on with 4 allen bolts, which happen to fit a T30 Torx bit, which I used on my drill/driver to get them out in less than a second each. Lift seat, Move and tip forward to lean on the steering wheel, take out the other 1-2 screws to get into the battery box. Disconnect battery, remove, place new battery in, put battery box back together, put seat back in place, screw in the 4 allen bolts, done. There's a few minor details, like disconnecting the seat belt sensor and pulling the grommet clear.

I think it's an H6? Battery size names and charts vary, just like watch batteries. It might be the same exact thing, but one place calls it one thing and a different place calls it something else.

·
Registered
836 Posts
@thecho there is no issue back charging through the CCP. I have revived my starter battery with a plug-in trickle charger overnight thru the CCP. I believe the CCP in the 2020 vans will disconnect the starter batt after a certain amount of time but the older vans stay connected.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Thanks guys! About removing the seat, I saw someone post somewhere (have excessively used the search...) that they wish they had just removed it. But yes, I also saw that it is possible to wiggle things and do almost anything without removing the seat :). Thanks also for the battery size! Just posted again in the older thread here to figure out how to go about adding a second battery or replacing my battery with two: Battery box, converting and using dual batteries

And lastly, thanks for pointing out that the trickle charging through CCP is fine. Pretty happy to have the 50A renogy charger here then and will go with that! (I learned long ago to over-buy and return to cut wait times - also have the 20A and 40A chargers here...)

·
Registered
2015 3.5L EB 148 Highroof Extended
7 Posts
I had a similar issue with parasitic battery drain. It turned out to be a pinched wire for the driver side power mirror. As far as I could tell it was that way from the factory. Didn't look like anyone else had tampered with it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have an H-6 battery from Walmart in my Jeep Wrangler, which is the same battery size used in the Transit. As Surly Bill mentioned, the Walmart batteries are decent quality and easy to exchange if there is a problem. They used to have a 3 year replacement warranty + 2 years pro-rated, but now it's only 3 the years...

When my Transit needed a new battery, I was at Sam's Club and purchased one there. Even though they are owned by the same company, their battery suppliers are different. Most Walmart batteries are made by Johnson Controls in Mexico. The Sam's Club battery is made in USA by East Penn Deka, and appears to be the same battery Ford installs at the factory.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
anecdote on batteries:
I had read that there are only 3-4 actual car battery manufacturers, and all car battery brands are just different stickers. So, if you like Interstate batteries, see who makes them and what other brand stickers they wear. Exide makes both Interstate and Walmart batteries, btw.

PLEASE CONFIRM THIS ON YOUR OWN

One best indicator of quality batteries is weight. A battery of the same size that weighs more is a better battery.

Reactions: sportcoupe
21 - 40 of 65 Posts