Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a draw on the battery that drains it (2019 MR ) over time when you don't drive it?
I don't think any accessories are on and nothing else is connected to it yet and after a few weeks the battery goes dead and it happened twice now while building it out..
Also when the battery dies it seems to go all at once and the starter doesn't even click seems like there is a mechanism in the battery management system that disconnects the battery at a certain voltage?
After 2 overdischarges that battery is probably toast by now.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Yes I put mine on a trickle charger if I don't plan on driving it for 4 days or more. I have Dronemobile and I can look at the battery state on my phone. I found out about the battery drain after putting in alarm and remote start several months later the van sat for a period of time and battery was dead opted to buy my own battery instead of hassling with dealer warranty.

It doesn't take much voltage drop to be considered dead.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I was just curious about the same. I have been driving my car very little the last days, and battery voltage is at 12.08V. Wondering if my battery is getting old (2018 model) or if it just discharged.

I guess I should leave the engine on for a while and then check the voltage again, or get a trickle charger (though not sure how to connect to to the starter battery without opening everything up - maybe the jumping points in the front would work too?)

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was just curious about the same. I have been driving my car very little the last days, and battery voltage is at 12.08V. Wondering if my battery is getting old (2018 model) or if it just discharged.

I guess I should leave the engine on for a while and then check the voltage again, or get a trickle charger (though not sure how to connect to to the starter battery without opening everything up - maybe the jumping points in the front would work too?)

I connect mine in the engine compartment at positive jump point and ground point near the hood hinge. My battery is at 12.3 right now sitting about 24 hours with my alarm system on. Starting takes more voltage than what is replaced by just letting it run. Your battery might be fine it's just not good to let it get discharged repeatedly which is what happened to mine not knowing at the time the battery drain issue on the Transits.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks! I will order a charger too. Who knows how often my battery was discharged already, just bought the car used.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
My battery is weak if I have been parked for 3+ days. Went away for 10 days and it wouldn't start. I now connect the 1-3-5amp charger/maintainer if it's going to be parked for more than 3 days. I have a little 1.5w solar maintainer, but I don't know if that's enough.

Reactions: asdrew

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just checked the voltage now reads 5.8v at the battery and I took it for a short ride just a couple weeks ago that can't be normal even from what you guys are saying. The battery must be toast being so low.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just checked the voltage now reads 5.8v at the battery and I took it for a short ride just a couple weeks ago that can't be normal even from what you guys are saying. The battery must be toast being so low.
It can only take a few days to discharge to where it won't start and it can take more than a short drive to fully charge. Have the battery tested.

·
Registered
225 Posts
The computers are still running even if at low power. Solar trickle charger is my choice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
This seems problematic for boondocking having to micromanage the freakin battery. Even my wifes old CRV and Civic can park at an airport for a few weeks without croaking the battery.
So I charged it at 8 amps for 15 minutes then had to stop because rain was coming. Just for the heckuvit I turned the key and she started so it seems the battery is marginally sized and made to be driven daily like you guys said and the electronics running in the background 24/7 don't help any.

Maybe a master on/off switch could remedy that parasitic drain when parked for duration?

So if the battery is toast from severely draining a couple times is there a larger or higher quality battery that is customarily used for for a replacement?

·
Registered
225 Posts
This seems problematic for boondocking having to micromanage the freakin battery. Even my wifes old CRV and Civic can park at an airport for a few weeks without croaking the battery.
So I charged it at 8 amps for 15 minutes then had to stop because rain was coming. Just for the heckuvit I turned the key and she started so it seems the battery is marginally sized and made to be driven daily like you guys said and the electronics running in the background 24/7 don't help any.

Maybe a master on/off switch could remedy that parasitic drain when parked for duration?

So if the battery is toast from severely draining a couple times is there a larger or higher quality battery that is customarily used for for a replacement?
I had mine replaced under warranty so did not get much choice. The room under the seat is limited, so are the choices. Some are fitted with dual batteries and a heavy duty alternator as a factory option. I recall people wanting to do this upgrade but don’t recall anyone announcing success.

The build threads would be a good starting point. Good luck.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
If you slide the driver's seat forward, you can see that Ford has a small cover within the battery box cover directly above the negative battery terminal to make disconnecting the battery easier. I had the same problem with battery discharge when I was converting my Transit and not driving it regularly. I later found the Ford BEMM guide (2018 edition, page 74) listed this as an issue for vehicle modifiers:

Delayed Vehicles
Vehicles held at the vehicle modifier premises and
not in use for longer than 7 days, should have the
battery's negative cable disconnected. Before
shipping to the customer, the battery negative
cable must be re-connected and the voltage
re-checked. A complete recharge for battery
voltage below 12.4V and or for no-crank vehicles
by using appropriate charge.

I now disconnect the battery when not driving the Transit regularly. The negative battery cable clamp uses a 10mm socket, and is easy to remove and install. I have purchased a Blue Sea Systems 6005 battery disconnect switch that uses a simple key. I plan to install it under the driver's seat near the battery. According to the directions, the switch can be installed behind the panel (seat base) with only the key hole protruding out. The switch should provide an even easier way disconnecting the battery and also help as an anti-theft deterrent.

Blue Sea Systems 6005 switch

·
Registered
119 Posts
If you slide the driver's seat forward, you can see that Ford has a small cover within the battery box cover directly above the negative battery terminal to make disconnecting the battery easier. I had the same problem with battery discharge when I was converting my Transit and not driving it regularly. I later found the Ford BEMM guide (2018 edition, page 74) listed this as an issue for vehicle modifiers:

Delayed Vehicles
Vehicles held at the vehicle modifier premises and
not in use for longer than 7 days, should have the
battery's negative cable disconnected. Before
shipping to the customer, the battery negative
cable must be re-connected and the voltage
re-checked. A complete recharge for battery
voltage below 12.4V and or for no-crank vehicles
by using appropriate charge.

I now disconnect the battery when not driving the Transit regularly. The negative battery cable clamp uses a 10mm socket, and is easy to remove and install. I have purchased a Blue Sea Systems 6005 battery disconnect switch that uses a simple key. I plan to install it under the driver's seat near the battery. According to the directions, the switch can be installed behind the panel (seat base) with only the key hole protruding out. The switch should provide an even easier way disconnecting the battery and also help as an anti-theft deterrent.

Blue Sea Systems 6005 switch
Far from an anti-theft deterrent when I have thousands $$$ in tools and can't alarm my van. In my opinion Ford is going downhill in quality and design but I do think the Transit is still the best available. It's a shame because there's so many good things ruined by dumb things.

·
Registered
5,763 Posts
You can fit two stock size batteries in there if you remove the partition thing. I've also used a single H8 battery that I had left over from my Sprinter.

There's a reason the Transit is the cheapest to own full size van, and with that comes the need for work-arounds to fix the simple problems. Dual batteries or a solar trickle charger, T.U.R.D. and mini T.U.R.D., sealant on slider bolts and roof mounts, installation of filter for the cabin intake, etc.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Installed a 2 amp trickle charger / maintainer today in my 2019. I plug in weekly to top off my house battery, the maintainer will help SLI battery for sure.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Some DC-DC chargers that have a solar input (like the CTEK) will trickle the starter battery after the house battery is charged.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Great call-out dustboy! The renogy 50A B2B and MPPT also has this functionality I just confirmed.
But, is it actually okay if the starter is charged through the CCP?

1 - 20 of 59 Posts