Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I'm in the final stages of converting my 2017 Transit into a camper van but I'm hoping for some input in regards to the solution I have come up with for keeping my starter battery charged.

I have a standard electrical system setup with solar, shore power and a Sterling battery-to-battery charger to keep my lithium house batteries charged up. But I would also like the ability to keep my starter battery charged when my van sits for extended periods of time (like over the winter). So I have come up with the solution of installing a Xantrex Echo-Charge battery charger.

My question is, does anyone see an issue with the Echo-Charge firing up when the van is running and the alternator is charging the starter battery and the house batteries (via the Sterling battery-to-battery charger)? In this situation there would basically be a loop in the system. I know that in a typical set up with an echo-charge the alternator power is rerouted to the house batteries so that only the echo-charge charges the starter battery. But I would prefer to avoid dealing with that and just keep the alternator connection to the starter battery as is. Another possibility I thought of would be some type of auto-disconnect relay that opens the circuit between the house batteries and the echo-charge when a certain voltage from the starter battery is detected (i.e. the engine is running and the starter battery is being charged by the alternator) but I haven't found a device that would serve this function yet.

Anyway thanks in advance for any feedback you might be able to offer!

·
Registered
170 Posts
I hook up a small solar charger to the jump points under the hood . 30 watt self made using a panel and generic controller I found on amazon.

Takes a minute to do but works fine.

Have considered sucking power off my roof array for this via a second controller but would make it manual switch selected on the panel side so not running when the alternator is charging.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
646 Posts
What charger do you have dustboy?
CTEK D250S. So far I’m happy with it, it’s simple and well designed. If you like to fiddle with DIP switches and LCD readouts look elsewhere. Haven’t bought the Smartpass unit which allows more than 20A to bypass the controller during bulk charge, but I have a manual switch that can do the same.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts