Ford Transit USA Forum banner
21 - 40 of 74 Posts

·
Premium Member
2021 3.7 AWD HR 148
186 Posts
How big? How heavy? Is it completely impractical for van camping? What about snow?
Dish is smaller than the inner metal of a spare off-road tire. Weight is half with new dish over old dish. Comes with 110v AC adaptor which you could power off a 300W inverter to minimize losses, or mod it for DC power (I’ll run mine off the inverter and wait for an official DC power pack).

You can mount the dish flat on your roof (pointed directly up) and it still works. Dish waits a few minutes, determines motors are not working, and falls back to fixed mode. One user reports it also works while driving, now.

·
Registered
2019 Transit cargo, HR, 3.5 Eco, Quigley 4X4, “Vandemic”
190 Posts
The dimensions of the new Starlink rectangular ”dish” is 19”x12” and it’s weight is 9.2 lbs.
Lots of information on this website on the issue surrounding portability.

·
Registered
792 Posts
I've been to their website and found it to be largely devoid of useful information. Maybe I just don't know what to click on.
So it looks like most of the useful information about the product is hidden away in the "Support" section.

Apparently the dish "can melt snow." I also found this statement regarding mobility:

"We do not support Starlink use in motion at this time and mobility use is currently prohibited until we have obtained all necessary approvals. While our teams are actively working to make it possible to use Starlink on moving vehicles (e.g. automobiles, RVs, boats) in the future, Starlink is not yet configured to be safely used in motion."

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,145 Posts
@kenryan They have you covered as to the size and weight. Mine is first gen as I was lucky and got in on the beta early. Even the newer dish is more than I want to deal with mobile. I don't need internet when boondocking but I understand I am in the small minority there.

Reactions: kenryan

·
Registered
2016, MR, 130"
1,145 Posts
So it looks like most of the useful information about the product is hidden away in the "Support" section.

Apparently the dish "can melt snow." I also found this statement regarding mobility:
Yup. This is why I was saying you can add 100 watts when it is cold out. Mine seems to use more like 120 watts. Kicks on when temps get into the low 30's.

Reactions: kenryan

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
my guess is dish/stand weighs 12 pounds - cable is light 3 pounds -
have not packed away yet -
package has Pretty Nice plastic shell that encases dish - maybe -
think going to fold in case and hang inside back door

·
Registered
2022 R2V Ordered 11/23/21
39 Posts
Old AT&T copper, Download 18, Upload 1
I am 12 miles from my state capital building.
That's the same I'm struggling with (only thing we can get) and with both my wife and I working from home it can be rough.

Reactions: Michael Ophus

·
Registered
148 extended high roof cargo.
61 Posts
having used a hughesnet dish as pretty much only option out here in the Mojave desert, the ping time was typically in the 600-700ms range. shooting out to space and back. usually around 40-45 mps download.

the latency was the killer. often pausing to download, especially with live sports like NFL.

i find the 13ms ping time of the Starlink hard to believe. that is the same ping as the Verizon hotspot box i use now.

and far cheaper than the Starlink initial fee and monthly fee.

and the Verizon hotspot box IS mobile. useful where ever a cell tower is nearby.

·
Registered
4,647 Posts
That's the same I'm struggling with (only thing we can get) and with both my wife and I working from home it can be rough.
The sad thing is that the new C-Spire fiber trunkline is two miles from the house, They say not enough people want it to make it worthwhile to run to my address.
The cellphone does not work here either and I am a mile from the cell tower, The cell tower is on top of a high ridge and I am in the valley at the bottom of that ridge. The cell tower has vertical polarization and I am horizontal to the tower.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
The sad thing is that the new C-Spire fiber trunkline is two miles from the house, They say not enough people want it to make it worthwhile to run to my address.
The cellphone does not work here either and I am a mile from the cell tower, The cell tower is on top of a high ridge and I am in the valley at the bottom of that ridge. The cell tower has vertical polarization and I am horizontal to the tower.
We have ok service from ATT at home, but my wife's job gave here a T mobile phone and we have essentially zero service for that at the house. I really wanted something more like a weboost but they gave us a sort of mini cell tower box that plugs into our DSL router. I wasn't really thrilled to do it this way, but it does work very well for cell phone reception so she is happy.

I can't say that I would recommend ATT right now because they decided that all of our 4 G phones which were working just fine weren't good enough, turned them all off, and sent us some el crappo phones that aren't even slightly viable as "free replacements".

Interestingly, even in its not perfect state, Starlink is fairly substantially faster than our DSL service and only $25 / month more.

·
Premium Member
1,570 Posts
I've been to their website and found it to be largely devoid of useful information. Maybe I just don't know what to click on.
You are right - their web site info isn't completely forthcoming.

On the class b forum, there is also a thread on it that is a real world experience and useful to read.

From what I can tell, It appears that the original plan was to support end user devices in relatively fixed locations and what people are doing is "moving" this fixed location around.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I get around 30ms ping with starlink
Ping time depends on how far away from a ground station you are. If it can go up to one sat and straight back down to a ground station, great. If it’s got to beam the signal much farther out, bang, longer ping. 30ms for satellite service is still really dang good, and better than a lot of folks’s DSL connection.

I suffered for many many years until very recently with very end-of-the-line DSL at my vacation house. It was basically 3Mbs down and 500kbs up with 100ms ping times and VERY frequent drops to zero for 10-60s. I was on the list for Starlink until a few months ago when Spectrum FINALLY let me pay them $3k to run coax cable a few more poles to get to my house. I had pretty low expectations while still figuring I’d get so much better than my DSL that I didn’t much care what I ended up with. But I’m getting near 400Mbs pretty regularly with 10-12ms ping times.

It’s literally life changing. I can now use the vacation house SO much more than I could before thanks to having usable Internet. I’m glad I didn’t get in to the earlier Starlink beta, because this service ended up better for me. Sure, that $3k was hard to swallow, but I’m glad I did it. And now I’m going to save a LOT of money per month because I can finally drop DirecTV. I’ll recoup that $3k in just a couple years thanks to being able to consolidate to streaming TV sources that will now work at my main house and vacation house for much less than DTV was.

For now I’m fine just living with whatever I get for cell service in the van, but we’ll see if that changes as Starlink ends up more available.

—Donnie

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
How starlink works -
starlink is setup using Cells - cells are 240 to 350 mile size -
Ground Base Stations- GBS - can cover X number of cells -
GBS is connected to Land Fiber -
GBS Sends /Receives data to Satellites
Satellites Send /Receive data to Users -
I have read that each satellites thru put is 3 terabytes sec -
no idea if this is true -
Cell area dose not move - satellites move In / Out of cell -
in final height sats are about 10 minutes apart in each orbit -

main thing Starlink dose not want is to many users in one cell -

In the last month starlink has launched 200 new V2 satellites -
these are equipped with laser communications between satellites -
- WoW -
Seeing how good dish preforms makes me think
they can make this work -
Phased Array seem to work really well - pointing beam -
So far dish has not moved that I can tell -
im in mostly flat desert - dish pointed 340 north -

a good site is - Heavens Above -
site shows locations of starlink in sky -
also shows locations of Other satellites
Very Cool site -

I have seen the Starlink Train 9 times -
its Awesome to See -

·
Premium Member
2021 3.7 AWD HR 148
186 Posts
Low earth orbit satellites plus laser interconnect from sat to sat plus the fact that the speed of light is faster in a vacuum than an under-sea cable, and Starlink may actually provide worldwide pings less than traditional networks. Lots of ifs ands and buts in that of course.

The fact that the satellites are so low is the reason the latency is better, but you need thousands of the things to get coverage. Previously not economical which is why geostationary satellite internet was the only thing available, with glacial ping times.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Be cautious about using this for mobile applications yet. In my area each dish is geolocked to a specific cell and in most cases dishes are not allowed to be moved between cells. Some volume accounts can arrange for some dishes to be moved between cells with pre-approval. This is the only way for Starlink to manage performance within a cell until they have enough capacity to support more mobile terminals. It only take a few hundred LEO satellites to acheive global coverage, the rest are being added to the constellation to increase capacity. I am not aware that they are yet offering un-geolocked dishes though it sounds like some other posters are seeing this....I'm not sure how you would order/know you were getting a dish with mobile capabilities.....

·
Premium Member
2021 3.7 AWD HR 148
186 Posts
From this website: Starlink for Overlanders

Update No.9 – Changes to Roaming 18 Feb 22
We’ve recently noticed a significant change in the roaming status of our system, which indicates that it might no longer be necessary to register address changes at every new location when travelling with Dishy. This is potentially a game-changer for the use of a single Starlink system at multiple locations. Previously, there was no roaming facility on our system. There was no mobile use of Dishy without re-registering the address at each new location, thereby automatically cancelling the registration at the previous address. On the 11 February 22 we noticed whilst touring around the Eastern Sierras/China Lake area of California, that we could move into a new cell and still have Starlink service without registering a change of address from our previous cell.
If what we have found is replicated in other areas, then home-based users should (subject to the further notes below) be able to leave the system registered at their home address and use their Starlink roaming at their weekend camping location.

In the last few days we have reported our findings on social media and it appears that some users can also roam like us, but others cannot. At this stage we don’t know if our account has had this feature enabled for SpaceX testing or whether we are just lucky and are travelling in an area that has had this feature enabled. So we can’t yet say that this change would allow service in any location at the moment. Starlink is rapidly expand its network, however there are still areas without active cells and many cells near large towns/cities are at capacity – we assume that these cells remain unavailable for use. So although this roaming change does not indicate unlimited roaming, it does indicate that the formality of address re-registration for each move may be a thing of the past.

So how is this removal of an administrative process a benefit? Well first, it’s good for users who have their systems registered at their home address but want to take Dishy away for a weekend away camping. Until now, the need to reregister the address at their temporary campsite created a risk their home cell might be full to capacity when they returned home. If no address change is necessary, this will no longer be a risk. As we live permanently mobile in an RV, the above isn’t really a benefit to us. For us, the advantage is the ability to just set-up Dishy (provided there’s coverage in that area with capacity) without the need to reregister the address before we can get service. To re-register the address in a new camp-spot location, we needed to plan ahead: either ensure our new camp-spot will have a phone signal with data (often not possible in the remote areas we like to travel), or plan ahead and reregister the new address before we reach the remote area. This has been a bit of an inconvenience with our spontaneous, unpredictable travel style: no phone data = no Starlink service ?. Not any more, it seems! The Starlink system has been an internet game-changer for overlanders like us… and step-by-step the guys at Starlink are making it even better!

21 - 40 of 74 Posts