Ford Transit USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Planning a camper conversion on a High Roof/extended length Transit. I'm planning on adding a second row of seats to carry 2 kids. How well does the standard HVAC heat/cool the cabin of the van when driving? Somewhat concerned that the heating/cooling won't be able to keep up to keep the kiddos comfortable. I will be insulating the van, so assuming that will help to some extent with heat loss & gain.

Currently planning on ordering a van and wondering if I need to add in the auxiliary heater/cooler option on the 2020 Transit to help heating and cooling the van with additional ducting in the rear.

I've been researching this and have not heard anyone say the HVAC isn't good, so I'm running with "no news is good news" currently. Does not seem to be mentioned in some of the van build overviews I've researched too.

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
828 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I think so, but I’m sure others will be along to weigh in.

·
Registered
97 Posts
The cabin heat / air is great for the cabin. On a 32⁰ F windless day the heater will keep the uninsulated cargo area comfortable until the van is moving. Haven't tried the AC yet so no comment on it
These things have a lot of air infiltration that you would need to deal with when in motion.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have a curtain behind my front seats and the van warms up in the front much faster if it's closed. I put magnets in it so it "kind of" seals to the sides. It's a big box to heat or cool.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all of the feedback.

So my takeaway from the replies is that with an insulated van, AC and heat are sufficient to keep things comfortable. I'm located in New England so summers aren't terrible, but want the heat for winter excursions for skiing and such.

Is it worth getting the auxiliary heat/cooling option on the Transit Cargo for ~$800? I'm a bit worried about ducting getting in the way of things. And going back through some other van builds, no one seems to have this in their vans, so not entirely sure if its a necessity.

Air infiltration could be resolved with good sealing of the insulation, but I know that can be a dicey topic since it can also trap in moisture between the insulation and body panels/frame.

·
Registered
734 Posts
I couldn't see a reason not to add rear air since it's perfectly situated for my dometic cfx3 75dz. See post #69 on page 4 of the link in my signature. Only downside I can see is the coolant lines are somewhat in the way for mounting tanks next to the gas tank on the driver's side, but I was able to make that work.

I prefer hot places though, so maybe I'm unique in that regard. All I know is the rear air in the sprinter I nearly bought was $7,500, so $750 was a no brainer for me.

Cheers.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Is it worth getting the auxiliary heat/cooling option on the Transit Cargo for ~$800?
You could do a diesel heater for less and probably be less intrusive to your build. I don't see how you could AC more economically, especially considering that $800 includes heat.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Only downside I can see is the coolant lines are somewhat in the way for mounting tanks next to the gas tank on the driver's side, but I was able to make that work.
Now I regret not ordering it. I figured the lines would be more than somewhat in the way. Shudda done some more research. :oops:.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
If you plan on having house a/c you can also make sure it's a unit that can safely operate while driving. But yeah, that rear air and heat is dirt cheap. Hard to beat it.

Cheers.
Do not plan to start with a roof unit and to hope to keep it that way, but I did consider that as possible contingency plan when I made the decision. Apparently there is enough juice to run a rooftop AC off of a vehicle powered inverter with a soft start. I may plan to charge house batteries at similar rate to what AC would draw, so running through house batteries while driving may be better solution. The then batteries will charge when compressor is off. One of the motivators for the folding bulkhead idea we kicked around is for improved cab cooling. Plan is to chase moderate weather. I can handle heat well, navigator not so much.

If we ever down the rooftop root then I may head down the rabbit hole of additional charging and battery capacity for a bit of off grid capacity for sleeping. Call it a Van Gogh lite approach.

·
Registered
2018 ecoboost low roof 130wb lsd
2 Posts
Hi,
For the meantime before you get proper unit
You can always connect heat proof flexible pipe or hose to the passenger foot vent and cut it somewhere behind passenger seat.
******* style but works when you on the move;)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Planning a camper conversion on a High Roof/extended length Transit. I'm planning on adding a second row of seats to carry 2 kids. How well does the standard HVAC heat/cool the cabin of the van when driving? Somewhat concerned that the heating/cooling won't be able to keep up to keep the kiddos comfortable. I will be insulating the van, so assuming that will help to some extent with heat loss & gain.

Currently planning on ordering a van and wondering if I need to add in the auxiliary heater/cooler option on the 2020 Transit to help heating and cooling the van with additional ducting in the rear.

I've been researching this and have not heard anyone say the HVAC isn't good, so I'm running with "no news is good news" currently. Does not seem to be mentioned in some of the van build overviews I've researched too.

Thanks for the feedback!
I am new an no expert, but from my research the Crew version comes with the 2nd Row of Seats, Side Airbags, and Additional HVAC

1 - 13 of 13 Posts