Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Stand up height in Wagon MR

6K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  Teddy Poulos 
#1 ·
Have a few questions.

MR ,148 WB Wagon

I want to turn a wagon into a crew van (keep 1st row seating) and remove the rest..

I am running into a few problems /questions

1. I am 5'9 and can stand in a cargo van, but not sure if I could stand straight into a Wagon. (none around to test)

2. How far exactly is it from the 1st row seating in rear to the back of the Van?

3. I want to mount shelving/Bins in the back on both sides. Would this be doable?

4. IS this a dumb idea?

I am waiting on a PIN to give the dealer to pull the trigger, but I would hate to buy this van and find out I cannot do what I want to with it after I spend 40k :(

Any input would be greatly appreciated

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Have a few questions.

MR ,148 WB Wagon

I want to turn a wagon into a crew van (keep 1st row seating) and remove the rest..

1. I am 5'9 and can stand in a cargo van, but not sure if I could stand straight into a Wagon. (none around to test)

The floor is elevated in the wagon, plus it has a headliner. I'm guessing about 2-3 inches less head room than the van.

2. How far exactly is it from the 1st row seating in rear to the back of the Van?

Don't know

3. I want to mount shelving/Bins in the back on both sides. Would this be doable?

This is the main reason I didn't start with a wagon. There is an airbag running the entire length of the van on the drivers side as well as ducting in the ceiling that makes for reduced height and width in the wagon.

4. IS this a dumb idea?

Not nescessarily. If you can make it work out for your needs, it might be a cost effective option for doing a crew van

I am waiting on a PIN to give the dealer to pull the trigger, but I would hate to buy this van and find out I cannot do what I want to with it after I spend 40k :(

I really wanted a crew van too, but ended up installing two more captains chairs. Expensive. If I were doing it again, I'd get a double Sprinter seat and install it behind the driver to give easier access to the back and more room. I still may do that eventually.

JP

#3 · (Edited)
Have a few questions.

MR ,148 WB Wagon

[snip]
1. In a medium roof Wagon, you will have 67.6 inches of clear interior height, so you will have to stoop a bit. See dimension H505 on pp. 10-17 here:

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas/topics/2015/2015_Transit_v1-1.pdf

2. Dimensions L202 (141.7") and L204 (132.8") cover you here think. If not I can measure my 130" WB Wagon in the morning, and you can add 18". From what part of the front seats do you want to measure? If you are looking for dimensions from the back of the single "Crew" bench seat which remains, I posted that a while ago -- stand by for a link:

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/152554-post5.html

83" plus 18" for your 148" WB, for a total of 101" if this is what you are looking for.

3. Ditto to JP4 re: airbag(s?) and ceiling A/C in the way. Plus the interior liner is not really designed to hang any weight off it IMO. You would have to remove the liner, hang the weighty items from the steel body, and then re-attached the liner, after modifying it to miss your installed items. Lots of work for benefits TBD -- your equation to work out.

4. Ditto to JP4 -- your cost/benefit equation to work out. I asked similar questions on the following thread last year, and ended up ordering a LR Wagon, but more for the retired life not work.

http://www.fordtransitusaforum.com/dealers-purchases-orders/3161-crew-van-test-drive.html

Good luck.

#4 ·
Thank you Peter for the valuable info..

Exactly what I was looking for.

Quick question on the from second seat to rear. Is that from the bottom rail or like to the headrest? Also do the seats move forward and backwards or are the stationary?

Tough decision I need to make. I hate loosing the headroom so I can stand up straight and also will have to figure out how to mount the boxes.

Decisions Decisions :)

#5 · (Edited)
[snip]
Quick question on the from second seat to rear. Is that from the bottom rail or like to the headrest? Also do the seats move forward and backwards or are the stationary?
[snip]
If you are referring to the 83" dimension in that earlier post, it is as described:

In my 130" WB Wagon, at a height of 16" AFF (carpet) there is approx. 83" from the back of the bench seat to the inside of the back doors. I believe that the cargo Vans do not have any tracks/clips in the floor to accept seats, but folks here have added captains chairs etc. FYI.
If you go higher up than 16" AFF, the back of the bench seat [headrest] leans back about 3-4" +/- when it reclines, thereby reducing my 83" to about 80" of available length (if you were, say, to place a large rectangular box on the floor and have it touch the back of the bench seat top [headrest] when reclined). [~98" for you]

The attachment brackets for this bench seat are about 4" further forward, so you could run a sheet of plywood up to them (87" long +/-), or notch it to go under the bench seat. Adding another 18" for your LWB would get you into a 10' sheet of plywood for a wood floor of some kind, which is what I had intended to use (3/4") as the sub floor for my postponed DIY in the back.

Obviously these figures should not be relied upon as exact measurements for your puposes.

***** VIF -- Verify In Field *****

PS -- The Transit's bench seats do not move at all, as they are locked into short tracks bolted on to the steel floor.

#8 ·
I have been looking all over for a MR and have not seen ONE van around me. I really wish I could see one in person to figure out a few things. Crazy they are so scarce. I am talking about even someone driving one, churchs,Old folks homes etc.. Seen a lot of LR and a few HR.. No MR....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.