Ford Transit USA Forum banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Another small question. 2016 pioneer radio has bluetooth, but mic wire was cut in half in unopened package, so I'd need to buy another to try it. Wondering if most bluetooth hands free phone conversation sound quality is worthwhile in decently sound deadened vehicle???

·
Super Moderator
3,191 Posts
I'm doing a project in the dash that will use 1 or 2 of the unused ignition-activated fuses in my 2015: #'s 19, 20, 21.
You can check the fuse list and pull off one that is there for a feature that you don't have.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Can I get 1/4" & !/8"abs plastic from Home improvement store or ???
Nope, I've purchased full 4 x 8 sheets from a local Sabic polymers chain store and off fall sizes from a local plastic fabrication shop. They are online, but more $ than I probably paid.
If you're wanting to do kickpanel boxes like I did, it is quite an undertaking.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Nope, I've purchased full 4 x 8 sheets from a local Sabic polymers chain store and off fall sizes from a local plastic fabrication shop. They are online, but more $ than I probably paid.
If you're wanting to do kickpanel boxes like I did, it is quite an undertaking.
Right now i'm aiming to build a small rectangle box to mount this Powerwerx outlet into

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
!/4" would be the easiest to glue together .Most any plastic glue could work, could melt together with tiny squirt bottle of acetone,or the easiest-- Oatley ABS pipe cement (black), which my local homestores used to have till they quit stocking abs drain pipe..

Got cockpit partially situated. Fitting xm & gps into pod between mirror & domelight, not quite aimed right yet. I'll remake or pretty up box if it works out, hoping to block sunlight from blinding screens with this location.
Finished up bulkhead carpet, so I can start running speaker wires & mounting amps next.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
You know that shelf is only designed to suport 20 pounds, And probably less in the cargo van.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
That whole unit & other little stuff that gets stored on shelf is under 20 lbs, but I likely will reinforce later anyway.
Got my custom sub box installed & wired to amp. I'll run those now 15 year old 12" speakers as long as they still sound good.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Looks like my 19 year old Sony 12 inch car stereo Woofers are holding up better then yours, They are in near mint condition because they have never been in a car. < Home made Subwoofers made for use at home, Hooked to a 300 watts per channel/speaker at 4 ohms Commercial power amp.
Five sided aluminum Cones with rubber surrounds, $100 dollars each in 2001

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Getting things situated & hooked up In a trial & error fashion. Gave setup a quick try without front speakers. It was a trial aiming my rear 6 x 9's mostly downward, that was an error in this small cab space.:( Looked cool though. Will remount mostly forward, slightly down, as in previous sprinter & panel trucks. Was too close to ears to hear much of right channel.
Thanks to these hardened steel door pillars, had to go through bulkhead to get a grounding spot for amps . Will tuck in wiring better later.
Gonna try out 2 silk dome tweeters per front speaker. Cut a selection of angled round blocks to mount & aim tweeters towards ears. Will use screws & 3-m mounting tape.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Got my upper rear 6 x 9 boxes remounted firing more forwards, sounds a little better. Tucked most wires.
Got my tweeters & mounts initially setup, trying to aim towards driver's ears. Going for sound, not stealth here.
Shame on me for taking a friends advice & mounting sub box on back of bulkhead wall firing backwards. NEVER mount a sub box on the back of a thick plywood padded & carpeted wall. Can't hear (or feel) over full range speakers with truck shut. Everyone else hears it though, not the effect I wanted. I'll probably flip box around forwards with spacers & cut some of the wood & padding out. Previous truck had these same speakers firing into cab through wall & sounded much better.
Sounds like it's supposed to from a distance with doors open.😈

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Got some new speakers for front, hoping for best. Helped friend fit their 8's to his blazer doors, pretty loud & clear.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Time to work on has been scarce as usual, but got my plastic kick panel boxes trimmed & backside enlarged for new larger front speakers .Sounds better, makes rear speakers sound dull now.
Still not close to happy with sound though. I notice it sounds better if I move my head to center. Looks like once again the odd shaping of these vans has screwed me. If you look at the alignment of the rear speakers to seat center, your left ear is to the left of the speaker, not the right. Front kick panel speaker is almost as bad.

i thought about making custom rear boxes anyways, I need to get speakers over into the corners. Would involve trimming the controvercial foam corner blocks.

On front, i may have to consider making door inserts to house speakers in doors.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Figuring for making speaker insert pods into doors. new speaker in back of factory speaker would be easiest, would place speaker even with front of seat. Option 2 would be to have speaker over factory speaker angling back & forwards with pod built out. Other options would be to cut factory speaker grille to let speaker sit deeper in door or remove factory speaker from it's hole to make a deep pod..Dn't have much door speaker install experience as to how placement affects sound.
Tech said air space of box best to be from .35 to .5 cu ft for 8"midrange, any larger gives diminishing returns.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Ok, 8's. read your other post first. I'll be fiddling with redoing my full range speaker first before getting back to subs. These DS18 6 x9's i stuck in my tiny kickpanel pods sounded like they could have fair midbass in a proper box. Will be putting them in far corners of overhead with boxes behind wall, so subs between could be step 2 of it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Was checking out the Skar Audio 8" speakers. Said to be as strong or stronger than many older 12" with a tighter sound.
Starting trimming back my upper corner foam blocks to fit speakers in corners.
Designing my sealed door pods for my 8" speakers will slip into cutout in door panel & will have between .35 to .5 cf airspace. Will likely cover with a fine grey fur type fabric I've used to hide kick pods before. Factory speakers will remain in place. Need to figure for running my new speaker wires.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Got front speaker box pods ready for assembly. Keeping factory speakers intact. a 1" tall section of 6"pipe coupler fits over factory speaker. Has slot to front side & slot in door panel for factory speaker to be able to play if needed. Cover screws over coupler with a mild sealant.
If I was not keeping in the theme of leaving stock system alone,factory speaker could simply be removed & back of box be flat.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts