Ford Transit USA Forum banner
61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
2020 High-Extended AWD EcoBoost Cargo with windows
4,019 Posts
Me too! I kinda wish you would post* stuff you are doing even if "there are already other great examples." Because those aren't your examples. We wanna see how SSV does it :D

*if you have the time and inclination
Funny you'd say that... I thought the same way... didn't post much for a while, 'cause everything has been done before. Then considered that though it was all done before, we may have done it at least a little different. 🤷‍♀️

·
Registered
2021 W2X High Roof Cargo T350, 148", EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #62 ·
Thanks guys. If I come up with something a little different, I'll post it. If I'm copying someone else, they get credit!

I spent a good part of today in a small tidal river fishing for striped bass in my kayak. The van may not get much attention in the next few months unless the weather is bad.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #63 ·
I hate mosquitoes.

Measured the window thickness, cut a cardboard template and transferred it to a scrap of 1/8 luan. After test fitting, I laminated wire window screen between two layers and fiberglassed a lip to go over the window.
Plant Automotive mirror Window Wall Vehicle door

Motor vehicle Window Hood Automotive lighting Vehicle

Plant Automotive lighting Window Motor vehicle Hood

Automotive tire Table Wood Font Gas

Cost almost nothing but it took far longer than I expected.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
We had a successful first overnight trip. One of our dogs came from a breeder in NH who was having a gathering last Sunday afternoon. So we got a camp site for Saturday night in VT, 20 minutes away from the gathering, 150 miles from home.

First, it was a long ride. Our two dogs, an 8 yo Lab and a 3 yo Dutch Spaniel have a Rav4, equipped with safety harnesses, and driver. The van, with safety crates, has been used to go to a near by beach. 10 minutes away. At 15 minutes from home the whining started. It continued. All 150 miles. There was a pause when we arrived, then more squeaking after dark. It finally ended about 3 am. Sunday was great. Quick drive to near summit lot and a one mile hike to the top. 6 other people. This is outstanding for a summer Sunday in New England! Actually, unheard of.

The sliding bed system, 6" foam mattresses, lighting placement and switching, water system, cassette toilet, and underbed storage worked well. The test run highlighted a priority for storage next. Once all the internals are done, I'll start facing cabinets and building drawers.

The first trip was good enough for us to book a two night stay in VT for October color. Hope everyone is enjoying summer and not baking too much in the heat!

·
Registered
2023 AWD Ecoboost HR Extended
36 Posts
Funny you'd say that... I thought the same way... didn't post much for a while, 'cause everything has been done before. Then considered that though it was all done before, we may have done it at least a little different. 🤷‍♀️
I'd second this.

I just posted a thread asking how to do something really basic, that a lot of people here had done before. But because they'd done it slightly differently than I was thinking of doing it, and it was so simple it wasn't worth explaining, I'd glossed over it in the threads I'd seen.

There's no harm in overexplaining things. Think of the person who Googles how to do it 10 years from now and you're the only person on the Internet who explained it in the same terms they searched for.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I also removed the ceiling, which has been up for a few months as a test. It's 1/8" luan and I was worried it might distort with time.
Dont waste any time worrying about that Luan. My Luan, painted both sides, was installed seven years ago and looks exactly like it did then.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
A few pics of system stuff before I start closing up the view.

The bed suspended from the walls worked well. The six 8020 15 series solid cross rails had no noticeable flex. They also carry the load of the under bed storage shelf and part of the 22 gallon water tank. The upper angle is bolted to the wall at each end. The 8020 rail below it is thru bolted from the backside using carriage bolts in the rail slot. When the crates are removed the rear floor is unobstructed.
Vehicle Motor vehicle Gas Machine Engineering

Furniture Building Window Wood Table

Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive exterior Gas

Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Motor vehicle White

Gas Electrical wiring Machine Control panel Electrical supply

Gas Major appliance Machine Room Service

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Recent posts regarding espresso machines in vans prompted me to post a not to slow, kind of frugal, really light weight option.
Wood Table Drinkware Wood stain Drink

On the cooking side, we didn't want propane in the van. So I dug out a lantern, light bar and single burner stove. Purchased a 5 pound propane tank which fits in a 5 gallon pail bolted to the hitch mounted luggage rack.

Wood Gas Electrical wiring Cable Electronic device

61 - 69 of 69 Posts