Ford Transit USA Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2021 W2X T350 148" High Roof, EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey, 11/20 order 8/21 delivery
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Rectangle Grey Automotive exterior Gas Tints and shades

I've been working on our van build for a few months. It's slow going. A lot of our building materials are leftovers from other projects, including about half the wiring materials and fasteners. I have tackled a few large diy projects (including a two story garage), but this van thing is mental gymnastics.

Sound deadening (one 36 sq ft package), thinsulate and rough wiring are done. I started with sound material first and quickly decided to use scrap plywood for a temporary floor and to copy as the template for the final one. It's much nicer to work on and protects the floor from dropping every tool I own, pointy end down.

The ceiling and upper walls (above the wire chase and slider) are 1/8 luan. The sidewalls are 1/4 AC exterior plywood with 2" deep bump outs. Rather than moving the wire chase or cutting the foam blobs I just worked around them.

Hoping to see my 8020 order soon.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,080 Posts
Looks nice and tidy! Great idea with those tabs on removable(?) panels over the wiring.
Any details/photos of the attachment of the 1/8" ceiling material?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Looks good so far, if your going for frugal, throw in a inflatable mattress and your just about done....... :)

·
Registered
2021 W2X T350 148" High Roof, EcoB, AWD, Avalanche Grey, 11/20 order 8/21 delivery
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Looks nice and tidy! Great idea with those tabs on removable(?) panels over the wiring.
Any details/photos of the attachment of the 1/8" ceiling material?
Yes, the upper wall and ceiling panels are removable to get to any wiring. The ceiling panels are attached directly to the roof ribs with 5 plus nuts in each rib. I put opposing tabs along the butt joints to keep alignment. If the 1/8 sags, I'll add a stiffener to the backside. The ceiling panels fit such that they can be arched into position and hold themselves in place against the edge strip at the top of the wall panels, then fastened in place. I started at the rear w a 4 foot wide piece around my fan location and worked forward. The last piece before the cab area headliner was/is a real challenge. It needed to arch side to side and slope to the front. I built a quick jig and used copper wire (stripped 14 gauge to get single strands) to "stitch" two pieces together and fiberglassed the seam. Still thing about how to attach its lead edge. The bolts are low profile hexhead. The bolt sticking thru w a nut is 1 of 3 grade 8 fished down thru a rib hole, using single fine wire to pull it in, for attaching cabinets.

Table Furniture Writing desk Wood Desk

Window Automotive exterior Fixture Vehicle Gas

Umbrella Table Wood Shade Building

Wood Table Flooring Automotive design Floor

Wood Grey Line Wall Material property

Wood Circle Ceiling Beige Plaster

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Aluminum angle for the bed platform and the over bed cabinet were cut, drilled and installed over the last two days. Gotta love handling aluminum at 10F!
Gas Rectangle Air travel Tints and shades Glass
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Vehicle Bumper

I started buying electrical supplies and components for a 12 volt system months ago. Paired with a fair amount of leftovers from boat projects, I started laying it out. I was planning to charge using a b2b. The plan took a turn when a deal for a samlux 2000w inverter popped up on Craigslist. A temporary install was in order.
Automotive tire Wood Flooring Floor Gas

Automotive tire Electrical wiring Cable Ac adapter Gas

Here's the 12 volt system on a temporary panel. It's going in a cabinet over a battery box about where it is now. Short term it will be fed by CCP 1, with a 50 amp breaker. Batteries, cables, and charging side are waiting until spring.
Wood Flooring Floor Hardwood Gas

Wood Electrical wiring Gas Machine Cable

1 - 6 of 6 Posts