Ford Transit USA Forum banner

Sportscraft Swivels? any first hand experience?

3129 Views 8 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  PNW_Camper
I haven't found anything online or here, anyone installed these? Hows installation? Stability? Thanks!
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
14 Posts
I just installed one on the passenger side of my 16' passenger wagon XLT with manual seats. It states in the web site that it won't work on seats that have the heater under them but it fit on mine and so far no problems. They do not supply instructions.

Step 1: Unbolt the 4 seat bots sliding the seat back and forth to make room. (T40 I believe)
Step 2: Disconnect the electrical connector at the under-seat junction and remove the seat.
Step 3: Take the electrical connector appart and feed the wires through the hole in the center of the swivel. Take a picture of the back side of the connector to remember where your wires go. Pull the red tabs out completely and use a small pic to slide in the backside and hold the retention clip down while you slide the wires out. Feed them through the hole and reassemble in reverse.
Step 4: Lift the lever and turn the swivel 1/8th of a turn to make access to the bolt holes. Set the base down. You will need a spacer on the rear bolts between the adapter and the van. This is both to make it level and to prevent crushing the under-seat heater. I just happened to have some steel spacers of exactly the right dimensions laying around. Bolt the swivel down. (I used the original seat bolts as they seemed a little beefier.
Step 5: The steel handle on the back of the seat for attaching a kids car-seat will have to be cut or bent. I bent mine down by holding the base of it with a large pair of channel locks and using a pry-bar working one side and then the other.
Step 6. Set the seat on the swivel and bolt it down starting with the front 2 bolts. Make sure your electrical wire/connector is behind the crossbar that connects the right and left seat adjustment hooks. The seat comes with 2 sets of 4 bolts with one set being longer than the other, use the shorter set.

Start to finish it could be done in less than an hour if you have the tools on hand and something to use as spacers. I'll update you when its been in for a while to let you know if there have been any issues.

· Super Moderator
4,663 Posts
I just installed one on the passenger side of my 16' passenger wagon XLT with manual seats....

View attachment 137422
Thanks, that has inspired me to take up one of my uncompleted projects. I have two steel plates like that and was exploring options to make my own swivel similar to this since funds for the nice ones are needed elsewhere, plus I like a good project. I don't need anything fancy, as it would only be used on rare occacasions

· Registered
14 Posts
My only issue so far is the airbag light. It's been on since the install and I've checked the connections multiple times. I'm kinda at a loss. Unless someone gives me some insight I plan on installing the driver swivel and then having the dealership run the codes when they do a recall repair

· Registered
19 Posts
does adding the spacers in the back bolt holes make the seat to swivel easier? mine is difficult to turn, now I'm wondering if perhaps it's because it's "off-kilter" because i Don't have spacers in. I just bought different bolts as the supplied ones were too long..or too short---can't remember as it was 1 and 1/2 years ago. Thought the seat would be easier to swivel with time but it's not.

· Registered
40 Posts
My only issue so far is the airbag light. It's been on since the install and I've checked the connections multiple times. I'm kinda at a loss. Unless someone gives me some insight I plan on installing the driver swivel and then having the dealership run the codes when they do a recall repair
Were you able to sort out your airbag lights? I took mine to the dealer and they couldn't just reset the error code. They tried replacing the entire airbag module and still no go. Next, they plan on replacing the airbag wiring harness. Thats been on backorder. Will be taking it back once it arrives. Thankfully all this work is under warranty for me.

To the OP aside from this I like these better than the same Sportscraft one made for the Sprinter which I felt had more wobble, and holes did not line up exactly which I had to drill out to fit.

· Registered
413 Posts
Were you able to sort out your airbag lights? I took mine to the dealer and they couldn't just reset the error code. They tried replacing the entire airbag module and still no go. Next, they plan on replacing the airbag wiring harness. Thats been on backorder. Will be taking it back once it arrives. Thankfully all this work is under warranty for me.

To the OP aside from this I like these better than the same Sportscraft one made for the Sprinter which I felt had more wobble, and holes did not line up exactly which I had to drill out to fit.
Sorry to dig up this old post, but not a lot of airbag light threads around..... Just wonder how the dealer ended up resolving your airbag light issue?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.